No announcement yet.

Anyone Golf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Luck, and have fun that's all that really matters. You're right it's an excellent place to network but learn how to play at a quick pace, no one likes to play with someone that is slow.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBound View Post
      I'm thinking about taking up golfing. I've been to the driving range a few times years ago with very mixed results but I blame that mostly on alcohol.

My interest is half an excuse to get me out of the house without the wife complaining and half because I'm finding that a lot of work gets done on the course with certain people within my company.

So, to keep the wife happy, I don't want to spend a fortune on a beginner set of clubs but at the same time I don't want to take a Walmart special set of clubs to tee time with a group of people that make way more money than I do. Plus, I just moved to Colorado and I'll be damned if I don't get to get out and enjoy this beautiful weather.

I've found this set - Wilson Men's Ultra 10-Piece Complete Set from Dick's for $179.00.

- It's got great reviews on amazon for being a very forgiving set.

- Price seems more than reasonable.

- Includes hybrid clubs which I guess are good for beginners.

Would this be a wise choice? Would I be getting funny looks from people taking this set out? Any other tips for someone new to golf?

Thanks in advance.
      You're just starting out. Get the cheap set of forgiving game improvement irons. That's fine. It's takes several years to really start to enjoy golf...but everytime you go out you'll hit some kind of comeback shot. Something that makes you want to come back and do it again. To become a good golfer you not only need to master the game but master yourself. controlling your emotions and focus are key. No matter what..always stay positive out there and have fun. It's my opinion that mastering golf and thus yourself will make your life better.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
        You're just starting out. Get the cheap set of forgiving game improvement irons. That's fine. It's takes several years to really start to enjoy golf...but everytime you go out you'll hit some kind of comeback shot. Something that makes you want to come back and do it again. To become a good golfer you not only need to master the game but master yourself. controlling your emotions and focus are key. No matter what..always stay positive out there and have fun. It's my opinion that mastering golf and thus yourself will make your life better.

Oh..and the first thing to learn is the grip

how you grip the club is one of the biggest things that result in inconsistent shots. You can have a weak grip, neutral grip, and a strong grip.

A recommend a strong grip to start out and maybe you'll adjust that later on down the road. If you google strong grip golf...you'll get some pictures

Comment

get a year old set of adams, their decent quality and you wont kill yourself if you decide golf is not for you.

you can get a new set (last years models) for 150.

Comment

**** golf

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
              Don't buy one of those rinky dink starter sets. Go to a pro shop and buy used clubs or find the ones you like and buy them online. I could go to golfsmith/pgasuperstore and get a great comolete set of used clubs for under 500 and probably under 400.

Irons 200 or less
              Driver/3 wood/hybrid 40 bucks each or less
              Putter 100 or less
              Wedges 30 to 50 bucks a piece
              Golf bag go to walmart.
              I recommend this. I have found that the knock off irons and hybrids can be quite nice and fitted to you for ~$200 at most places. Havent had much luck with the woods. Used is a nice choice there.

Lots of fun/cheap lob wedges (68deg!) and other misc clubs on Amazon that will work fine.

Comment

Go to the driving range and start talking to the older guys they will help you

Comment

Good starter kit, but you'll find yourself wanting something with a better feel off the ball pretty quickly.

I work for Vail resorts and golf clubs are among the things we merchandise. We do really well with Taylor Made. Good stuff and decent pricing... I think those burners, which are the more forgiving ones, you an get an iron set with a hybrid for $200, and another $300 should get you a driver and a fairway wood. Probably the best bang for your buck there.

I use the Cobra Amp Cell clubs. Also forgiving as long as you don't get the fully forged ones. I think last years model (which really doesn't differ so much from this years) you can get an iron set for $400 and another $400 for a driver and fairway wood.

Comment

The only thing I would tell beginner golfers is this. It's really not a pastime game/sport. It's really not enjoyable to go out there and suck. I don't care how beautiful the day is or how nice the course is. If you suck, it's not all that fun. Just know that this game takes a ton of practice and effort to get decent at. You're either all in or just stay all out. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                      The only thing I would tell beginner golfers is this. It's really not a pastime game/sport. It's really not enjoyable to go out there and suck. I don't care how beautiful the day is or how nice the course is. If you suck, it's not all that fun. Just know that this game takes a ton of practice and effort to get decent at. You're either all in or just stay all out. Seriously.
                      Although this advice is discouraging to beginners, it's absolutely true. Even if you have the time to play once a week, you probably won't ever become consistently good (unless you have an unusual talent for the game). Think about that for a minute and let it soak in; that's a lot of time/money/effort to commit to something...

If you're just going to play once or twice per month during the summer (or less) your ceiling as a golfer is pretty low, and it might be better to try another hobby. On the other hand, it's worth giving a try to see if you have any potential--if you have the time to work at golf and improve, it really is an amazing way to spend a day. Just remember, that golf is a very difficult game that takes a ton of time/dedication in order to really enjoy it...

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                        If all you care about is score, it will be horrible for you to try to golf casually. If you are a looking for something fun and relaxing and aren't concerned with score, it's a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Just make sure you play in a skill appropriate venue. It's a courtesy to others and makes your own time much, much more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bill View Post
                          Although this advice is discouraging to beginners, it's absolutely true. Even if you have the time to play once a week, you probably won't ever become consistently good (unless you have an unusual talent for the game). Think about that for a minute and let it soak in; that's a lot of time/money/effort to commit to something...

If you're just going to play once or twice per month during the summer (or less) your ceiling as a golfer is pretty low, and it might be better to try another hobby. On the other hand, it's worth giving a try to see if you have any potential--if you have the time to work at golf and improve, it really is an amazing way to spend a day. Just remember, that golf is a very difficult game that takes a ton of time/dedication in order to really enjoy it...
                          To be honest, it's not just about becoming a great golfer. Would I love that? Of course. Likely? Well probably because I'm just that good.. I kid. Like I mentioned above, I've found that a lot of work gets done on the golf course with a few key people within my company. I'd like to join them and don't want to be laughed off the tee by either my skill or gear. You'd be surprised at the business that's conducted over golf. Not being able to be a part of said business is frustrating.

BTW, thank all of you for the excellent advice. If anyone of you live in Denver and would like to play a round, shoot me a PM. At least you'd know it'd be easy money.
                          Last edited by DenverBound; 07-15-2014, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X