Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice: 4K TV

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
    We currently have a Samsung 67" DLP. I recently replaced the bulb but its still dull and hard to watch during the day. Wife wants to upgrade to a bigger and better TV. She also loves the smart TVs. I started to look online for a replacement and found the Vizio 80" 1080P 240hz. I heard about 4K, but thought that it would be long before it went mainstream. I went to Best Buy and talked to sales. He said that 4K broadcasting will be available end of the year. Netflix will begin to stream 4K soon. He also showed me the upconvert technology for the Samsung. That thing is beautiful. I saw details in the movie I have never seen before. Colors just pop and the details are amazing. I instantly fell in love with the 65" curve screen 4k tv from samsung. The price on it is crazy.

    So here are my options:

    1. Stay with my current 67" Samsung and wait til the price on 4k drops further. Hopefully by 50% this time next year

    2. Spend 3k on the 80" vizio 1080P 240Hz and risk it being outdated in 2 years

    3. go crazy and spend $8,000 on the 78" 4K curved screen samsung

    Any ideas? I am leaning toward option 1, but watching TV is unbearable in the daytime.
    option 4. Spend the money on the fancy TV and then invite me over for the Super Bowl party.

    Comment


    • #62
      This thread is making me feel old. Didn't have a clue there was anything better the 1080 until reading this thread

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Rigs11 View Post
        best buy has a 65 inch LG 4K right now for 2300. As for content Netflix is starting to rollout 4K shows.
        That LG is last years model, does not have HDMI 2.0, and does not have the
        compression codec for Netflix UHD streaming built in.

        The Sony and Samsungs from last year ( any A model Sony, or 8000 series Samsung ) have the same problem, but the Samsungs have the upgrade module that can bring them up to the specs of this years model. The Panels at 8 bit can't be upgraded......ever. Just a new set for that.

        Panasonic has some higher spec UHD sets still to reach release ( fall ) that
        will set a new bar for picture quality ( supposedly) for LED sets and they should force others down again. ( if they actually perform) .


        I was close to pulling the trigger on UHD a few weeks ago....but decided I can wait , probably til next year. My 58 inch plasma still has a great picture. ( ISF calibrated)

        One thing about UHD to consider is your viewing distance. My plasma is 13 feet from primary seating. In order to really SEE the difference in UHD You need to go BIGGER or be closer. The picture is definitely better....but to be immersive you need for the set to fill more of your field of view. So I'm looking at 70-75 inches in UHD. Bigger than that won't work for my living room situation, smaller and there is little gain in picture detail at my viewing distance. Ergo... I need a new house!

        Costs can really add up!
        Last edited by ScottXray; 07-16-2014, 09:47 AM.

        Comment


        • #64
          4000 k on a tv is a waste of money. I remember back in the day I dropped 2k on a TV when the flat screed LCD's came out. Within 2 years I could of bought the same TV for 700 bucks.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
            4000 k on a tv is a waste of money. I remember back in the day I dropped 2k on a TV when the flat screed LCD's came out. Within 2 years I could of bought the same TV for 700 bucks.
            But then you would've had to settle for 2 years watching things on a crappy tv. How much is two years of "suffering" worth to you? For me, 2 years enjoying something practically every day could easily be worth at least a grand.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
              You're aware that blinds and curtains have a unique function where they close AND open, yes?
              This is the family room that is connected to my dinning and kitchen. We have curtains and they are only for decorative purposes only. The windows are wall to wall at 11' tall. Even if I had blinds, for me to go around all the huge windows and close them so i can watch the tv is stupid. I'm not going to darken half my house so i can watch tv. This is NOT a theater room. I already have a dedicated media room that has no windows. We never use it.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                Well if your optimal remedy to 30 seconds of opening/shutting is spending $8,000, then by all means, go for it, and thanks for contributing to the economic recovery.
                the point is not about the time it takes for me to open and close my curtains. its the family room. you want more light, not less.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
                  the point is not about the time it takes for me to open and close my curtains. its the family room. you want more light, not less.
                  You must really love your family. I want my house as dark as possible so I don't have to look at them.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
                    You must really love your family. I want my house as dark as possible so I don't have to look at them.
                    i got a 2yr old and a 2 wk old. i love them as much as i can.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      There's an 80" Aquos (Sharp) SMART TV at Fry's for $2k. People are saying Amazon will price match and ship to your door. You could buy this TV, get 2-3 good years of use out of it until 4K is better established and the tech is cheaper, then sell the 80" for $500 and buy an 80" 4K for $4000.

                      Net cost would be ~$5500 for a nice new TV now and a nice new 4K TV in 3 years. As opposed to spending $8k on a 4K TV now that will still probably be outdated in a couple of years as the 4K tech advances.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
                        But then you would've had to settle for 2 years watching things on a crappy tv. How much is two years of "suffering" worth to you? For me, 2 years enjoying something practically every day could easily be worth at least a grand.
                        For me a 600 dollar flat screen is good enough. I don't spend much time in front of the tube anyways. I got plenty of hobbies that I would rather toss 4k at than a TV.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
                          We currently have a Samsung 67" DLP. I recently replaced the bulb but its still dull and hard to watch during the day. Wife wants to upgrade to a bigger and better TV. She also loves the smart TVs. I started to look online for a replacement and found the Vizio 80" 1080P 240hz. I heard about 4K, but thought that it would be long before it went mainstream. I went to Best Buy and talked to sales. He said that 4K broadcasting will be available end of the year. Netflix will begin to stream 4K soon. He also showed me the upconvert technology for the Samsung. That thing is beautiful. I saw details in the movie I have never seen before. Colors just pop and the details are amazing. I instantly fell in love with the 65" curve screen 4k tv from samsung. The price on it is crazy.

                          So here are my options:

                          1. Stay with my current 67" Samsung and wait til the price on 4k drops further. Hopefully by 50% this time next year

                          2. Spend 3k on the 80" vizio 1080P 240Hz and risk it being outdated in 2 years

                          3. go crazy and spend $8,000 on the 78" 4K curved screen samsung

                          Any ideas? I am leaning toward option 1, but watching TV is unbearable in the daytime.
                          Even on a vizio, no way 1080p and 240Hz will be outdated in 2 years. Just get the M-series, not the E

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X