No announcement yet.

Need Advice: 4K TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Or at least until Labor Day (9/1) when prices usually drop on appliances, furniture and tvs. Definitely do not make the jump to 4k yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
      I could tell. From your first post it felt like you've already made up your mind. You're going to early adopt a technology, likely on credit, that has little to no support, be horribly overpriced, and likely have better cheaper versions in 12 months - for block bragging rights?...cause 'Murica?

I suppose it's not as bad as my neighbors who replaced all their TV's with HD flat screens in one weekend even though they were still connected with composite cables - but it's "HD," man! Then when 1080P came, they did it again scrapping their 720's. Some of those guys at Best Buy put Grima Wormtongue to shame.
      Nothing about bragging rights. Before this thread, I was going to get the vizio 80" and bypass the 4k til I know it's better, more support and cheaper. I was hoping I would get some crazy raves about the 4k that might sway my plan. I'm a tech guy so always want the most advance. Anyways, I stopped by target and picked up a ruko 3. Thanks to Baja, I can wait for that 3k til next year.

It was my mom who initially complained about how dim the tv was. I was so used to it that it didn't matter. That's when the talk of a new tv came up.

Comment

Here is a $3,000 80' TV

http://www.costco.com/Vizio-80%22-10...100111721.html

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
          Baja's brilliance saved this gentleman eight grand. Good work, Baja.

I got my mom a Roku for Christmas and she loves it. I have AppleTV, but that is so I can also stream my MacAir screen (11.6") onto my Sony 1080p HDTV. Either are wins, IMHO.
          How do you like your Mac Air?

my Mac Book Pro is dying (ever since I downloaded Mavericks) I like the idea of the Air now that they can stream to a TV but I wonder if it will hold up to heavy use (You know flirting with Chrissy and all) It's about 1.5 K cheaper than the Mac Book Book Pro I am looking at. Seems no matter what you buy it needs replacing about every three years.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
            We currently have a Samsung 67" DLP. I recently replaced the bulb but its still dull and hard to watch during the day. Wife wants to upgrade to a bigger and better TV. She also loves the smart TVs. I started to look online for a replacement and found the Vizio 80" 1080P 240hz. I heard about 4K, but thought that it would be long before it went mainstream. I went to Best Buy and talked to sales. He said that 4K broadcasting will be available end of the year. Netflix will begin to stream 4K soon. He also showed me the upconvert technology for the Samsung. That thing is beautiful. I saw details in the movie I have never seen before. Colors just pop and the details are amazing. I instantly fell in love with the 65" curve screen 4k tv from samsung. The price on it is crazy.

So here are my options:

1. Stay with my current 67" Samsung and wait til the price on 4k drops further. Hopefully by 50% this time next year

2. Spend 3k on the 80" vizio 1080P 240Hz and risk it being outdated in 2 years

3. go crazy and spend $8,000 on the 78" 4K curved screen samsung

Any ideas? I am leaning toward option 1, but watching TV is unbearable in the daytime.
            I am typically an early adopter, but I will wait on 4k for awhile yet.

1. There will be no broadcast tv for a few years, at least, and maybe never until 4k is the standard for home sets. Netflix is already streaming some shows ( house of cards, and Breaking Bad) and some other sources plan to start soon. Directv says they will...(but not till 2015 or later). You need at least 25 meg download speed to get a good UHD stream, so you'll need good hi speed internet service.
            2. The standard for UHD is NOT set yet and the current sets may not meet them. The Samsung sets have the upgrade box available so they are somewhat a safer bet than sony, Sharp etc. Samsung guarantees they will produce a new box every year that should upgrade your set...but only for the next 4 years. Cost 3-400$.
            3. The UHD sets available now are mostly 8 bit panels ( meaning they have
            16million different possible colors). The standards that are being thrown about for 4K will likely require 10 bit panels ( Only sharp and possibly LG has them as of now...but Sharp is the likely worst set out there and LG also have poorer upscalers.
            4. Prices WILL drop...but in the 70-80 inch size the $3500 range is probably the minimum they will get to for the time being as the uhd sets have the best features the manufacturers have built into them. If you wait until the end of model year sales ( around October to November) you might find them a bit lower.

If you have to get one now I would go Samsung. Otherwise wait it out or buy a smaller standard set for the time being.

Comment

Forget the Mac Air. Yall need to price out the cost of an airline ticket from ChrissyWorld to BajaLand.

Comment

Originally posted by delany View Post
                Forget the Mac Air. Yall need to price out the cost of an airline ticket from ChrissyWorld to BajaLand.
                I could just send my plane for her.

Or I could send my plane for you, do you pole dance BTW

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                  I could just send my plane for her.

Or I could send my plane for you, do you pole dance BTW
                  I doubt I have the resume Chrissy does. However if she does visit you on the ranch...I highly suggest you install a pole on the lido deck.

Comment

best buy has a 65 inch LG 4K right now for 2300. As for content Netflix is starting to rollout 4K shows.

Comment

I would wait to buy a 4k Tv. The prices are not bad for the product, but there just isnt enough 4k material out there to really enjoy the TV. I have a Onkyo receiver and a Oppo Blu-Ray player that can up convert my current movies to 4K, but its not native material. New movies still aren't being shot with 4K cams yet. By the time more movies and live events are shot in 4k, TV products will be better than the ones that are out now.

IMO, I would wait a little.

Comment

IMO being in the industry.

your purchase would be premature. frankly the 4k image is going to be highly compressed and unless it's a very static movie you won't see any improvement over 1920x1080.

I feel the same way about 2k at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottXray View Post
                          I am typically an early adopter, but I will wait on 4k for awhile yet.

1. There will be no broadcast tv for a few years, at least, and maybe never until 4k is the standard for home sets. Netflix is already streaming some shows ( house of cards, and Breaking Bad) and some other sources plan to start soon. Directv says they will...(but not till 2015 or later). You need at least 25 meg download speed to get a good UHD stream, so you'll need good hi speed internet service.
                          2. The standard for UHD is NOT set yet and the current sets may not meet them. The Samsung sets have the upgrade box available so they are somewhat a safer bet than sony, Sharp etc. Samsung guarantees they will produce a new box every year that should upgrade your set...but only for the next 4 years. Cost 3-400$.
                          3. The UHD sets available now are mostly 8 bit panels ( meaning they have
                          16million different possible colors). The standards that are being thrown about for 4K will likely require 10 bit panels ( Only sharp and possibly LG has them as of now...but Sharp is the likely worst set out there and LG also have poorer upscalers.
                          4. Prices WILL drop...but in the 70-80 inch size the $3500 range is probably the minimum they will get to for the time being as the uhd sets have the best features the manufacturers have built into them. If you wait until the end of model year sales ( around October to November) you might find them a bit lower.

If you have to get one now I would go Samsung. Otherwise wait it out or buy a smaller standard set for the time being.
                          i will wait until i know for sure what the future will hold for 4k tvs. during the meantime, i did purchase the roku 3 yesterday. here are my thoughts on it so far

- took me awhile to figure out how to play movies on my hdd
                          - love the remote feature on my iphone/ipad
                          - what the hell, no on/off feature. if my hdd is connected, it will keep on spinning
                          - why so hard to turn on subtitles?
                          - the box is small, about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
                            i will wait until i know for sure what the future will hold for 4k tvs. during the meantime, i did purchase the roku 3 yesterday. here are my thoughts on it so far

- took me awhile to figure out how to play movies on my hdd
                            - love the remote feature on my iphone/ipad
                            - what the hell, no on/off feature. if my hdd is connected, it will keep on spinning
                            - why so hard to turn on subtitles?
                            - the box is small, about the size of a pack of cigarettes.
                            use the "*" button for subtitles / works while content is streaming.

Check here for remote quick start guide

http://wwwimg.roku.com/Roku3-QSG.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                              How do you like your Mac Air?

my Mac Book Pro is dying (ever since I downloaded Mavericks) I like the idea of the Air now that they can stream to a TV but I wonder if it will hold up to heavy use (You know flirting with Chrissy and all) It's about 1.5 K cheaper than the Mac Book Book Pro I am looking at. Seems no matter what you buy it needs replacing about every three years.
                              It is probably one the best pieces of technology I ever owned. It has frozen up maybe once or twice, I think I had to do a hard shutdown twice. No issues, besides having to get a new adapter since I pinched my other. After updating to the newest OS and doing the usual updates, it runs just as fast as it ever did. Surprised how much the little thing can do with only 4 GB of ram, but I run the new Photoshop, Pages, iBook and other editing software at the same time and it runs flawlessly. Definitely worth the investment and unless you are doing insanely crazy video editing and things that require more RAM, MacAir is definitely worth it. Pretty solid battery life for something almost three years old. I am hoping to get another year or two out of it before I end up getting one of the big all-in-one desktops to do more of my writing, graphic design and computer biz stuff on.

Comment

Thanks I am getting the dreaded beach ball a lot now on my 5 year old Mac Book Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X