No announcement yet.

Need Advice: 4K TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and you can plug in a hard drive via a USB port and play all your recorded movies. I have a 2 terabit HD with 100s of movies stored on it. Make sure you file the movies in some order you understand otherwise finding a particular movie is a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
      Well at least the salesman has your best interests at heart. And your wife is being rational by addressing a lighting problem with a larger TV. My wife often has those kinds of "solutions."

"These plates don't fit. We need new plates."

/rearranges the cupboard so the plates fit.

"........" (inwardly upset she doesn't get new plates and plans to withhold sex)

/married with a child so don't notice.
      . my wife doesn't even watch tv. i watch it alot more than she does. only time she turns it on is so she can play american idol for our 2yr old. so this upgrade is more for me than it is for her.

our lighting problem is due to the tv and not the room. the room is dark already. i want to be able to watch tv without making my family room into a dedicated media room with no windows.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
        Buy a ROKU device for 100 dollars and turn any TV into a smart TV all you need is a HDMI connection

ROKU is faster than Apple TV or the Smart TV and the top of the line model (3) has an headphone jack on the remote for late nigh viewing when other household members a sleeping. Great Value and has literally 100s of stations available.
        This is absolutely true. We cut the proverbial cable several months ago and use the 360 on the main screen and the Roku in our bedroom. Works great for Neflix, Prime, you tube, Hulu, etc.

Comment

Oh and you can plug in a hard drive via a USB port and play all your recorded movies. I have a 2 terabit HD with 100s of movies stored on it. Make sure you file the movies in some order you understand otherwise finding a particular movie is a nightmare
          i think fedaykin mentioned this. i don't know why i never thought of this. i have tons of movies on hdd and i have the wd tv to watch them. i think i will order the roku and try to bare with the issues with the tv until we are ready to upgrade to 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
            This is absolutely true. We cut the proverbial cable several months ago and use the 360 on the main screen and the Roku in our bedroom. Works great for Neflix, Prime, you tube, Hulu, etc.
            Something every ROKU user needs to know. There literally 100s and 100s of private channels that will play on ROKU that are not listed in there directory.

Here is one good web site there are many more.

http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2013/...u-channel.html

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
              . my wife doesn't even watch tv. i watch it alot more than she does. only time she turns it on is so she can play american idol for our 2yr old. so this upgrade is more for me than it is for her.

our lighting problem is due to the tv and not the room. the room is dark already. i want to be able to watch tv without making my family room into a dedicated media room with no windows.
              I could tell. From your first post it felt like you've already made up your mind. You're going to early adopt a technology, likely on credit, that has little to no support, be horribly overpriced, and likely have better cheaper versions in 12 months - for block bragging rights?...cause 'Murica?

I suppose it's not as bad as my neighbors who replaced all their TV's with HD flat screens in one weekend even though they were still connected with composite cables - but it's "HD," man! Then when 1080P came, they did it again scrapping their 720's. Some of those guys at Best Buy put Grima Wormtongue to shame.

Comment

i think fedaykin mentioned this. i don't know why i never thought of this. i have tons of movies on hdd and i have the wd tv to watch them. i think i will order the roku and try to bare with the issues with the tv until we are ready to upgrade to 4k.

Make sure you get the ROKU 3, it's only $100 on Amazon and is much faster that the other models and has the headphone jack on the remote. Also you can install a 4gig SD micro chip then you will be able to load 100s of channels. Read my post above about private channel for ROKU

PS 16 G and above SD micro chips do not work on ROKU for some reason but 4Gs is all you will ever need as it is for loading channels on the device only.
                Last edited by baja; 07-14-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Make sure you get the ROKU 3, it's only $100 on Amazon and is much faster that the other models and has the headphone jack on the remote. Also you can install a 4gig SD micro chip then you will be able to load 100s of channels. Read my post above about private channel for ROKU

PS 16 G and above SD micro chips do not work on ROKU for some reason but 4Gs is all you will ever need as it is for loading channels on the device only.
                  does it matter on the speed of the 4gb sd micro chips?

Comment

does it matter on the speed of the 4gb sd micro chips?
                    No get the cheapest one you can. It is only to hold channel information not for content storage.

Comment

Baja's brilliance saved this gentleman eight grand. Good work, Baja.

I got my mom a Roku for Christmas and she loves it. I have AppleTV, but that is so I can also stream my MacAir screen (11.6") onto my Sony 1080p HDTV. Either are wins, IMHO.

Comment

No get the cheapest one you can. It is only to hold channel information not for content storage.
                        It must support SD and not SDHC then.

Comment

Too the smart tv comments - I have a samsung smart tv. I never use the "smart" features. they are slower and clunkier than the roku and ps3 we also have.

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
                            "Wife wants to upgrade to a bigger and better TV."

Meaning Transference?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
                              It must support SD and not SDHC then.
                              I think it will support both just not over 8 G but not sure about the speed question. Should be able to get one for bout 7 dollars and it will work fine.

Comment

Just bought a new TV this week and when I was talking to the sale guy, they been told the 4K TV are going to start dropping in price for Christmas. I would wait a couple of months if you can

Comment

Working...
                                X