Need Advice: 4K TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice: 4K TV

We currently have a Samsung 67" DLP. I recently replaced the bulb but its still dull and hard to watch during the day. Wife wants to upgrade to a bigger and better TV. She also loves the smart TVs. I started to look online for a replacement and found the Vizio 80" 1080P 240hz. I heard about 4K, but thought that it would be long before it went mainstream. I went to Best Buy and talked to sales. He said that 4K broadcasting will be available end of the year. Netflix will begin to stream 4K soon. He also showed me the upconvert technology for the Samsung. That thing is beautiful. I saw details in the movie I have never seen before. Colors just pop and the details are amazing. I instantly fell in love with the 65" curve screen 4k tv from samsung. The price on it is crazy.

So here are my options:

1. Stay with my current 67" Samsung and wait til the price on 4k drops further. Hopefully by 50% this time next year

2. Spend 3k on the 80" vizio 1080P 240Hz and risk it being outdated in 2 years

3. go crazy and spend $8,000 on the 78" 4K curved screen samsung

Any ideas? I am leaning toward option 1, but watching TV is unbearable in the daytime.

Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
    We currently have a Samsung 67" DLP. I recently replaced the bulb but its still dull and hard to watch during the day. Wife wants to upgrade to a bigger and better TV. She also loves the smart TVs. I started to look online for a replacement and found the Vizio 80" 1080P 240hz. I heard about 4K, but thought that it would be long before it went mainstream. I went to Best Buy and talked to sales. He said that 4K broadcasting will be available end of the year. Netflix will begin to stream 4K soon. He also showed me the upconvert technology for the Samsung. That thing is beautiful. I saw details in the movie I have never seen before. Colors just pop and the details are amazing. I instantly fell in love with the 65" curve screen 4k tv from samsung. The price on it is crazy.

So here are my options:

1. Stay with my current 67" Samsung and wait til the price on 4k drops further. Hopefully by 50% this time next year

Any ideas? I am leaning toward option 1, but watching TV is unbearable in the daytime.

I would advise against being an early adapter of 4k. It will be a long time before the media has caught up to the technology and quality over Netflix is contingent on network speed which is not a constant.

Comment

4. A Jar of Almonds

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
        I would advise against being an early adapter of 4k. It will be a long time before the media has caught up to the technology and quality over Netflix is contingent on network speed which is not a constant.
        Always nice to see the correct answer posted as the first reply.

Comment

So here are my options:

Darken your tv room or buy a smaller smart tv for about 700 and when you are happy with the 4k market buy

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
            Agree. And I think the guy at Best Buy is full of crap. There may be a thing or two broadcast in it like the Super Bowl...but don't you have to have a DVR or Cable box that also uses that? I'm thinking it will be a couple of years until you can just turn on the tv and find programming that is broadcast in that.

Comment

So here are my options:

Option 1 is the best, but if you do get the itch and really need it sooner, go with Option 4 - There is at least one 80 inch model from Sharp available today that is 1080p, but that can upscale to the 4K now. I guaranty your eyes won't be able to tell the difference, you'll get 2 extra inches of screen and you'll save $3K (current sale price is $5K). The price will probably drop another grand or so by XMas.

http://www.paulstv.com/LED-Televisio...80p-LED-TV.asp

NEVER buy completely new tv tech in year one. You're paying at least double what you should and it usually takes a bit of time to work out all the bugs.

Comment

So here are my options:

Buying 4k now is like taking $10,000 and tossing it in the trash.

1.) Netflix already streams 4k, but it's no where near "full" quality (neither is their current HD content). It's at that resolution, but highly compressed resulting in effectively much less resolution. Also, unless you have a pip advertized at about 50Mbps (meaning you'll get about 1/2 that relatively reliably), you're not going to be able to stream 4k.

2.) All "upconversion" is a lie (just like CSI "enhancement"). You can't generate new information out of thin air.

3.) In 2-3 years 4k might be closer to mainstream, and probably will be a fraction of the current price, so spending $3,000 now on something will leave you ahead of the $$ game (even if you don't sell it). In the interim, you won't have missed out on much if any viewing experience unless you are specifically seeking out 4k content for the sake of 4k content.

But hey, if you got $8,000 to burn, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
                  #1 + Buy Better Blinds/Curtains

I just saved you $3k+
                  "Wife wants to upgrade to a bigger and better TV."

Better blinds/curtains could improve the picture by 300%, but the average wife would never admit it. It's only a matter of time before the plastic is going to have to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
                    NEVER buy completely new tech in year one. You're paying at least double what you should and it usually takes a bit of time to work out all the bugs.
                    FYP. The original 360 had no HDMI. The original Xbox One made you get the now-worthless kinnect. Early iterations of 4g phones had problems and many places didn't even offer 4G yet.

With technology it's always smarter (and more wallet-friendly) to buy at least the second, if not third generation in lieu of the first. The glitches will be ironed out, certain areas will be improved and most importantly, it will be cheaper.

Does the OP even have media to watch on 4k? Most media is barely getting everything caught up to 1080P. If you don't have 4k stuff to watch, what's the point?

Comment

FWIW, Netflix has one show they show in 4k so far. And when they say "4k will be available by end of the year" they mean extremely limited. Most shows on TV are just now recording in HD, so you can expect like 1 PPV movie per month from your television provider to feature the 4k, and it will likely cost you 12 dollars.

Comment

I'd suggest you save $1,000, buy the 70inch Vizio tv, and start putting your pennies towards the 4k to buy in 3 years. Also, buy it at Costco. 90 days risk free return policy is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                          FWIW, Netflix has one show they show in 4k so far. And when they say "4k will be available by end of the year" they mean extremely limited. Most shows on TV are just now recording in HD, so you can expect like 1 PPV movie per month from your television provider to feature the 4k, and it will likely cost you 12 dollars.
                          And streaming 4k takes a constant 15-20Mbps (depending on compression) meaning you'll need at least 2x that (and not just "burst") advertized to have any hope of reliability.

Comment

Go to Costco and buy a smaller Vizio, like 50-60 inch for under 1 grand and wait on the newest technology. Remember when HD DVD's came out...

Comment

Originally posted by hades View Post
                              Go to Costco and buy a smaller Vizio, like 50-60 inch for under 1 grand and wait on the newest technology. Remember when HD DVD's came out...
                              He specified that the wife wants a tv bigger than 67 inches.....

Comment

Working...
                              X