Remembering The Broncos: Trevor Pryce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering The Broncos: Trevor Pryce

Welcome to PredominantlyOrange’s new series, “Remembering the Broncos”. In this series, we’ll go back in time and spotlight former players in Denver Broncos history who may not have been Hall of Famers but who were perhaps underrated and more than left their mark in the Bronco canon.

Today, we’re talking Trevor Pryce.

The Denver Broncos selected Pryce in the 1st round of the 1997 NFL Draft. It was the team’s first draft pick, following the epic letdown of a playoff loss they suffered to the Jacksonville Jaguars just months before. Had the team not lost that game, they very likely would have gone to the Super Bowl and faced the Green Bay Packers. But alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

1997 was meant to be, however. Pryce contributed to the defense as a rookie, appearing in 8 games. Although he only notched 2 sacks as a rook, he shot through his rookie learning curve quickly. His 1st season culminated in a throwdown vs the Packers in Super Bowl XXXII.

The Broncos were big underdogs. Everyone expected the reigning league MVP, Brett Favre and the Packers’ offense, to dismantle the Broncos’ defense and keep the game out of reach for the aging John Elway and the run-heavy offense.

But Pryce and the defense came to play. And at the end of the day, just like David and Goliath, the Broncos dropped the Packers and earned the franchise’s 1st ever World Championship.

Pryce probably felt like the world was his oyster. Come into the league, win the Super Bowl. No problem. If that was the case, he probably felt like he was 10 feet tall and bulletproof following the 1998 season that saw the Broncos repeat as Super Bowl champs, as they thrashed the Atlanta Falcons, and former Broncos Head Coach, Dan Reeves.Pryce3

But ’98 saw Pryce begin to turn the corner and begin to realize his vast potential. He started 15 games and notched 8.5 sacks and was a major contributor to the Broncos’ defensive success. Playing with the likes of Steve Atwater, Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Bill Romanowski, John Mobley, and Tyrone Braxton, left an indelible mark on Pryce. It helped to form him as a young defensive lineman.

http://www.chatsports.com/denver-bro...cos-2-10083356

Pryce thanked Broncos Country with a personal message in the Denver Post.

Dear Bronco fans,

You cheered for me and now I cheer for you. Thank you so much for this prestigious honor of naming me to the 50th anniversary team, one that I am humbled by and will cherish for the rest of my life. I would have finished my career in Denver if not for the little man upstairs.

Thank you all once again,
    Trevor Pryce #93 and family

Comment

He was the most dominant Dlineman in broncos history

Comment

Here's the actual link.
        http://www.chatsports.com/denver-bro...yce-2-10084464

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
          Pryce thanked Broncos Country with a personal message in the Denver Post.

Dear Bronco fans,

You cheered for me and now I cheer for you. Thank you so much for this prestigious honor of naming me to the 50th anniversary team, one that I am humbled by and will cherish for the rest of my life. I would have finished my career in Denver if not for the little man upstairs.

Thank you all once again,
          Trevor Pryce #93 and family

Pryce is a smart & articulate guy, too bad Shanny was the GM. Give Shanny credit for drafting Pryce, and then acknowledge that Shanny was the idiot who let Pryce walk, just like he let Sharpe walk too. Shanny the coach worst enemy was Shanny the GM.

Comment

When I read the title I thought he died. Thankfully it's a tribute thread. lol

I was always a big fan of his.

Comment

Originally posted by uplink View Post
              He was the most dominant Dlineman in broncos history
              Wut? I had 43 career sacks, 31 between 68-70 when I was to Defensive linemen what Terrell Davis was to RB's. Hell I was so dominating the NFL made my head slap illegal, and had i not ruined my knee in '71, I more than likely would have been the Broncos first player inducted into the HoF...and I'm in the Broncos Ring of Fame too.

Wut? I had 55 sacks in 135 games, and I'm in the Broncos Ring of Fame too.

Wut? I had 1036 tackles, 33 sacks, was on 3 AFC title winning teams, and was named to Broncos 50th anniversary team

Comment

He still loses at basketball to little girls:
                <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/85BCi_1DxJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Pryce was an elite value as a DL'men. He could play inside and outside. He could stuff the run and sack the passer. But he was good enough at both you just couldn't define him as a utility guy. One of my favorite Broncos of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

Pryce is a smart & articulate guy, too bad Shanny was the GM. Give Shanny credit for drafting Pryce, and then acknowledge that Shanny was the idiot who let Pryce walk, just like he let Sharpe walk too. Shanny the coach worst enemy was Shanny the GM.
                    if you recall, no one really thought Pryce was worth the money he was getting when we let him go, even if some of us argued that overpaying him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. but I think even the most optimistic among us did not see the season he had in his first year in Baltimore coming.

Comment

Originally posted by extralife View Post
                      if you recall, no one really thought Pryce was worth the money he was getting when we let him go, even if some of us argued that overpaying him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. but I think even the most optimistic among us did not see the season he had in his first year in Baltimore coming.
                      I thought he was well capable of it and was bummed when he was allowed to walk. I still think it was personal with Shanny. Pryce was not one to play the Shanny game of suck up. H spoke his mind and Mike did not like that.

Comment

Originally posted by errand View Post
                        Wut? I had 43 career sacks, 31 between 68-70 when I was to Defensive linemen what Terrell Davis was to RB's. Hell I was so dominating the NFL made my head slap illegal, and had i not ruined my knee in '71, I more than likely would have been the Broncos first player inducted into the HoF...and I'm in the Broncos Ring of Fame too.

Wut? I had 55 sacks in 135 games, and I'm in the Broncos Ring of Fame too.

Wut? I had 1036 tackles, 33 sacks, was on 3 AFC title winning teams, and was named to Broncos 50th anniversary team

I would put Alzado in here also. Pryce was a great Bronco but far from these guys....

Comment

Working...
                        X