Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Future of Joel Dreessen With the Denver Broncos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Future of Joel Dreessen With the Denver Broncos?

The Denver Broncos are loaded with talent offensively. One player who has made an impact since coming on in the 2012 season is tight end Joel Dreessen, a former Colorado State star who played his previous years in the pros with Houston.

For a three year stretch from 2010-2012, Dreessen caught 15 touchdown passes, and five in his first year as a Denver Bronco. Last season, however, injuries hindered his production and development and he caught just seven passes, one touchdown.

Dreessen is set to be paid over $3 million in the 2014 season. That’s a lot of money considering he saw the fourth most snaps of all Broncos tight ends last year, behind Julius Thomas, Virgil Green, and Jacob Tamme. With Tamme carrying a similar price tag and Dreessen having had three operations on the same knee in about a year, it seems the writing is sadly on the wall.

Unless Dreessen agrees to a pay cut, it’s tough to see him making the Broncos’ roster, especially with the emergence of Virgil Green and the plans the Broncos have to involve him in the offense.

The Broncos obviously think highly of Dreessen, who is the longest tenured veteran of the players at this position. They also highly value the tight end position, which is likely why he remains on the roster. Still, you have to wonder if the Broncos are making sure he is simply not being screwed over by being a street free agent with no guaranteed money before he’s even healthy.

If John Elway were to do that, word would get around, and free agents would possibly consider that when coming to Denver. Once Dreessen is healthy and cleared for activity, the Broncos could look to audition him in the pre-season for a trade. There have been reports recently that they will need to clear a bit of cap space in order to be where they need to be when the season starts, and Dreessen’s name has (unfortunately) popped up as one whose cap number could be sacrificed for the good of the team.

http://www.chatsports.com/denver-bro...cos-2-10083356

I doubt he's on the roster come opening day.

Comment

Maybe we can get a 7th rd pick for him?

Comment

From the same site in the OP;

How can an offense that scored the most points in NFL history last season get better? How can an offense that saw a quarterback throw for an NFL record in passing yards and touchdown passes be better?

Offensive coordinator Adam Gase believes it can.

"Oh yeah, we can be better. We can do some things better, we can make better calls, I can make better calls, I can get us in better situations," Gase told Jeff Legwold of ESPN.com.

Hopefully, by better, Gase is referring to being more balanced with a strong rushing attack.

Any time an offense is balanced, it means they’re running the ball pretty well," said guard Louis Vasquez. "And that’s a focus for us this year."

It will be tough to duplicate the numbers they put up last year, but just because they don't, that doesn't mean they aren't better.

If Peyton Manning throws for just 4,000 yards and 40 touchdowns but the Broncos wins the Super Bowl because they have a more potent running game, that would have to be considered better.

Comment

Cut him, and use that cap space on a vet or for space on extensions for DT or JT?

Comment

Comment

KC will pick him up...

Comment

With Green coming on, I doubt Dressen stays. Just too much money and he can probably make that same money as a backup some place else where he will get more playing time then here.

You try to trade him for a low pick, to a team some place in the NFC (not the west though).

Comment

Won't make the final 53. Dreesen gets replaced by Robinson is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveler View Post
                    Won't make the final 53. Dreesen gets replaced by Robinson is my guess.
                    That'w what I think too. Hopefully we can trade him for a 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
                      That'w what I think too. Hopefully we can trade him for a 7th.
                      Yeah, really I think the main thing with Dressen, is finding the best place to send him so he doesn't go to a team that wants some inside info on the Broncos offense. I'd hate to see him to anywhere in the AFC or the NFC West.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                        Yeah, really I think the main thing with Dressen, is finding the best place to send him so he doesn't go to a team that wants some inside info on the Broncos offense. I'd hate to see him to anywhere in the AFC or the NFC West.
                        I don't think that matters as much as it might with other teams. Everything happens at the LOS in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                          can't do it with Peyton at the helm..he is always changing the calls every play 3 and 4 times at the line..and its never the same in anyone game..
                          Seattle disagrees with you there sweet buns, haha. They apparently had it figured out. I don't know how much I believe it but let's just suffice to say, it's probably harder for a team to know tendencies just by looking at film then if you had somebody from that team giving you some juicy stuff

Comment

I'd perfer salary cut and keep him as part of a 4 TE crew. Unless Robinson out shines him and is a sound blocker.

Comment

Last year I started a thread about who people thought were going to be the surprise cuts that year. I said I thought Tamme was going to be the one cut.... Well all of the TE's made the roster. I don't think that will be the case this year. Dreeseen has been a great Broncos I just am not sure how healthy he is.

Comment

Working...
                              X