Broncos' top play winner: The Helicopter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos' top play winner: The Helicopter

We have a winner. The voters and I agree that The Helicopter is the Denver Broncos' most memorable play.

John Elway played quarterback for 16 seasons for the Broncos, started five Super Bowls, and was the winningest starting quarterback in NFL history when he retired following the 1998 season. He went 148-82-1 with 47 game-winning or game-saving drives in the fourth quarter or overtime.

For many, he will always be the face of franchise, now as the team’s top football decision-maker.

SportsNation
    Which is the most memorable play in Broncos' history?

80%
    John Elway dives for 8-yard gain, Packers' LeRoy Butler helicopters him
    6%
    Tom Jackson's 73-yard INT TD return in Week 11 secures win, homefield advantage
    14%
    John Elway-Shannon Sharpe for 18 yards on 3rd-and-6 secures '97 AFC title, Elway's first Super Bowl trip
    Discuss (Total votes: 38,649)
    And if Elway says his put-it-all-on-the-line dive for a first down in the Super Bowl is the favorite play of his career, as he has stated on several occasions, it’s probably worth a long look for any list, and it sits at the top of this one.

the rest;

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...the-helicopter

Was just awesome. It was that moment when I knew we were going to win.

Comment

Given the options present, this was never going to be close

Don't get me wrong, the Helicopter play probably remains one of my all time greatest memories of watching the Broncos. I firmly believe it has earned its place as the single most iconic play of the Denver Broncos. There was just so much that one play was symbolic of. Really hard to convey to someone who had not grown up as fans of the Broncos.

That being said, the other options weren't really that impressive. They should have included Atwater's hit on Okoye, or Elway's rifle shot touchdown to Mark Jackson to complete "The Drive" I think these options would have resulted in a less lopsided vote.

Comment

The Drive, The Fumble, The Helicopter, All the comebacks, The Superbowls the ones we lost and the ones we won, The awesome direction he's gotten this team going after the Mc****up years

Damn we're some lucky mofos for having Elway all these years!!!

Comment

thats funny that they said the 3rd down pass to Shannon Sharpe was to Elways 1st superbowl trip when it was clearly not.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples Champ View Post
            thats funny that they said the 3rd down pass to Shannon Sharpe was to Elways 1st superbowl trip when it was clearly not.
            Some of you are better at this,but can any if you find the Elway to Sharpe pass in '98 in Camarohead in the regular season to beat KC?
            It was like a 35-40 yard bomb into the back of the end zone.
            There are some awesome highlights from the 90s I can't find.
            There's the McCaffrey tip in MIN
            There's the HotRod Smith bomb at home against WASH with seconds left
            Whole bunch.

Comment

How about Dennis Smith's two consecutive blocked chip shot field goals against SD with the second one returned for a TD to win the game.

Comment

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cnpJt4GT0TY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Helicopter play deserves its place, but a close #2 for me as a fan was Atwater's hit on Okoye.

Comment

Originally posted by oubronco View Post

This is why I consider Pete Rozelle the greatest NFL Commissioner of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoLifer View Post
                      This is why I consider Pete Rozelle the greatest NFL Commissioner of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                        You don't know that story?

Comment

I voted for The Manny Ramirez snap in this past years SB.

Comment

Originally posted by oubronco View Post
                            Imagine where we would be if Shanny hadn't have given him the cold-shoulder...

#trolling

Comment

Before I get reamed for putting this in a greatest of all time thread, I would like to say that IN RECENT BRONCO History my favorite play is when Manning ran in a touchdown. It was certainly not athleticism at its best (dude runs like he's in sand), but it was pretty funny to see the camera and the announcers follow Moreno in thinking he was scoring the TD when basically Manning faked them all out and walked it in himself. When they figured it out it was pretty funny and honestly watching Manning run in a touchdown is not only rare but watching him run is like watching a baby horse (a colt) learn to walk, stumbling, hilarious and ultimately awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X