Denver Broncos look to make history in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Broncos look to make history in 2014

The Denver Broncos have very high expectations in 2014. Last season they steamrolled through the regular season, winning 13 games. They outscored their competition by an average of nearly 13 points per game. They broke numerous offensive records including most points scored in a single season.

Then, once in the AFC playoffs, the Broncos continued their frenetic pace. They beat the San Diego Chargers by seven and the New England Patriots by 10.

But then came the 43-8 embarrassment in the Super Bowl against the Seattle Seahawks.

And now the Broncos will have make history if they are going to fulfill those previously mentioned expectations.

You see, only two teams in the history of the NFL have been able to bounce back from a Super Bowl loss and win it the following year.

And it hasn’t happened since 1972.

It was in ’72 that the Miami Dolphins rebounded from losing Super Bowl VI to the Dallas Cowboys and beat the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl VII. Keep in mind that these were the undefeated 17-0 Miami Dolphins. This is the lone team in NFL history to complete a full season perfect and without blemish.

The only other time it has taken place? 1971.

Yes, just a year prior to the Dolphins redemption, the Dallas Cowboys had done the same thing. Dallas beat the Dolphins after having lost the year before to the Baltimore Colts.

Two times. In forty-seven years.

Not only have teams not won the Super Bowl, but 28 Super Bowl losers have never even won a playoff game the following year.

In fact, just seven of the 47 Super Bowl losers have made it back to the Super Bowl a year later.
    And they have gone 2-5 in that game.

Who was the last team to even reappear after losing? The 1994 Buffalo Bills. Needless to say, it did not go well.

12 teams that came up short in the big game never even made it to the playoffs the next season.
    Whether it was due to injuries, free agency, or just common attrition getting back to the pinnacle game of the National Football League is anything but simple.

The Broncos do have a little experience in this situation.

In 1987 they made it all the way to Super Bowl XXI before losing to the New York Giants 39-20.

They broke the loser curse the following season when they faced the Washington Redskins in Super Bowl XXII. Where they were soundly thrashed 42-10.

This isn’t going to be easy.

more here;

http://cover32.com/broncos/2014/07/1...story-in-2014/

I predict this will be the most annoying season on the Mane. Expectations are unfairly unrealistic. Unless we go 16-0 and win every game by 30, people will bitch and complain about how the team isnt super bowl ready, we'll get our ass kicked again, etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
      I predict this will be the most annoying season on the Mane. Expectations are unfairly unrealistic. Unless we go 16-0 and win every game by 30, people will b**** and complain about how the team isnt super bowl ready, we'll get our ass kicked again, etc etc
      I'm thinking 19 and 0

Comment

Call me when the playoffs start. We know that the Broncos are going to be there, and probably with a first round bye. Last year I kind of tuned out around week 4 or 5. It was pretty obvious how the regular season was going to play out, and it wasn't really concerning that the Chiefs were winning a lot of games early on.

Comment

San Francisco was just a tipped pass away from the SB last year. SB losers have done better than the SB winners this decade.

Comment

With most of our D coming back and then the upgrades we made .. there is no reason to lose a game. No one can compare. I won't feel bad if we lose one though. The is a lot of pressure to go undefeated.

Comment

I will enjoy every snap this year. This team has so many great players. They have the opportunity to be one of the best ever.

The journey is going to be as super as the final destination.

Comment

Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

In all seriousness.... With an elite offense and an potentially elite defense.
                  Plus a very pissed off John Elway.
                  The sky is the limit.
                  Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 07-10-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Last year's humiliating collapse is still fresh in my mind. I really no longer trust Manning's ability to finish the job. I expect an amazing season of huge numbers and a lot of wins, followed by the same old Peyton fold when all the chips are on the table. I'm a Broncos fan, so I'll enjoy watching Broncos football, same as always. But my expectation level will remain very low.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                      Last year's humiliating collapse is still fresh in my mind. I really no longer trust Manning's ability to finish the job. I expect an amazing season of huge numbers and a lot of wins, followed by the same old Peyton fold when all the chips are on the table. I'm a Broncos fan, so I'll enjoy watching Broncos football, same as always. But my expectation level will remain very low.
                      You're kidding right ?

Comment

I just want to be pretty healthy this year vs the mash unit. I have higher expectations for staff (Fox Del Rio Gase) in big games. No excuses on not being competative for 4 qtrs in all our games this year.

Comment

Can we beat the 49ers or Seahawks that's the big question

Comment

Originally posted by Jason in LA View Post
                            Call me when the playoffs start. We know that the Broncos are going to be there, and probably with a first round bye. Last year I kind of tuned out around week 4 or 5. It was pretty obvious how the regular season was going to play out, and it wasn't really concerning that the Chiefs were winning a lot of games early on.
                            OK see ya in February.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                              I don't know about "very" low. A roster like this that stays healthy should be able to carry Manning through whatever difficulties he would have in the next Super Bowl. Id include the playoffs, but when the playoff chips were on the table against 2 teams we lost to in the regular season he stepped up. But if we come up short again fox definetely has to go. His blunders continue to be a problem. Quit coaching scared.

Comment

Working...
                              X