Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain Snapchat and its appeal to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
    It's perfect because if anyone ever asks if you sent them, you can say even under oath "no it was that a-hole behind me".

Comment

Setting is pretty much it. As others said they might not be saved to your phone but they are saved somewhere.

Comment

Everything is saved somewhere. Except IRS emails. . I use snap chat and I'm 38.

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
          It's basically a way to send photos/videos/texts that automatically delete themselves after they've been viewed once, or replayed once (you can usually see something a total of 2 times for a maximum of 10 seconds)

Literally, you will not be able to see something again after viewing it.
          Unless you take a picture of your phone with your camera.

Comment

Brett Favre will love using it! Heck, he is probably using it right now!

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
              One word.

Tinder.

It will absolutely get you laid. As well as send you into lustful affairs if youre married/or have a gf.
              It sure will. That app was made for people 18-35.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                I need to change the title of my thread. I'm looking for someone to explain it to me...
                I can't explain it because I don't understand it either. Your conversation sounds like mine with my daughter. I still don't get it but the kids love it and even my 2 year old granddaughter does it. It's funny, the older you get you lose touch with the latest trends. And a lot of it's because you don't understand the appeal, the purpose, or what it's taken the place of. I'm fine with that.

Comment

FWIW, most of the people I know, all young, don't use it for sexting. Some of you are going to say "SURRRREEEE" but the data and reporting seems to suggest that isn't what it's for. So I'm trying to wrap my head around the appeal of sending non-permanent pictures outside of practical benefits like saved storage. Obviously sexting is one appeal, but since snap chat is mostly not used that way, I want to understand why it's growing. What's the advantage?
                  it is growing because it is already fairly large. once something hits a certain point, it will arbitrarily take off. snapchat was obviously designed for and originally used for any number of purposes involving boobs and/or cheating. because boobs are a pretty reliable way to gain someone's attention, because the narcicissm of sending people pictures of yourself is already A Thing, and because this mitigates the risks, it got big enough to hit the arbitrary border. and so there you go.

Comment

Everyone keeps saying these are stored somewhere, which is why you need to use Mark Cubans version. Supposedly (supposedly) it completely erases all traces from the interwebs and servers after sent.

...Described as “WhatsApp meets Snapchat,” texts sent via Cyber Dust automatically disappear 24 seconds after being read. Importantly, these messages cannot be traced and are not stored anywhere – not even on Cyber Dust’s servers – assuring all users a high level of privacy and security...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maseenaz...-over-texting/

Comment

Can someone explain Snapchat to me? My brother in law, who is 17, was explaining "you can send pictures to each other!" "Like a text?" I asked. "Yeah, except you don't save them!" "Why would I want that?" "It's cool! And they're going to do video now!" "Like Skype or Facetime?" I asked. "Yeah but it's cooler."

I have been able to understand and appreciate a lot of the social media and apps they have for keeping people connected, but this one seems redundant to me. Can someone help me understand what it does and what the appeal of this seemingly redundant tech fad is?

#Getoffmylawn
                      'safe sexting'

but it's also a nice user experience of sending a photo without the ahssle of an intermediary and without having to worry about having crap strewn about your various mobile devices. Not much value to 99.99% of photos taken because of the ubiquity of cameras these days. Certainly wouldn't want to store them forever.
                      Last edited by Fedaykin; 07-09-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Guapo View Post
                        Everyone keeps saying these are stored somewhere, which is why you need to use Mark Cubans version. Supposedly (supposedly) it completely erases all traces from the interwebs and servers after sent.
                        Except for the part where all data flows through the NSA filter before going to point B.

Comment

Snap dickpick
                          Send dickpick
                          View dickpick
                          Poof dickpick

Snap cootchie pick
                          Send cootchie pick
                          View cootchie pick
                          Poof cootchie pick

Safe sexting made possible by the makers of snapchat

Comment

Originally posted by HILife View Post
                            Unless you take a picture of your phone with your camera.
                            They also updated the app to tell the person it was screenshot. I saw a special on it on one of those 20/20 shows.

Comment

FWIW, most of the people I know, all young, don't use it for sexting. Some of you are going to say "SURRRREEEE" but the data and reporting seems to suggest that isn't what it's for. So I'm trying to wrap my head around the appeal of sending non-permanent pictures outside of practical benefits like saved storage. Obviously sexting is one appeal, but since snap chat is mostly not used that way, I want to understand why it's growing. What's the advantage?
                              Just a guess. But your parents wouldn't be able to read your texts.

Comment

Real handy if you have multiple wives.

Comment

Working...
                                X