Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please explain Snapchat and its appeal to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapchat sounds like the same concept as instagram without the images being stored permanently. I don't get the appeal either, but I said the same thing about twitter back in '08, and now I'm addicted to it. #NeverSayNeverYo

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
      One word.

Tinder.

It will absolutely get you laid. As well as send you into lustful affairs if youre married/or have a gf.

Grindr.

78% of the time it works every time.

Comment

My understanding of Snapchat is a way to sext without it being permanent. At least that is how my friends use it.

I've already got enough social media.

Comment

SnapChat, from my understanding, is used widely by the generation below us, and not really for sexting. I just chalk it up to "its their preferred form of communication" and i don't understand it. I also don't fully understand why people have conversations on twitter, why limit yourself. A total get off my lawn moment

Comment

Snapchat? I'm still waiting for someone to explain the worth of Twitter...

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
              Two questions.

1. How old are you?

2. If they can't save the picture, I assume it is just to create an interaction. So is it some kind of video chatting except done with pictures? Does the lack of permanency make it so you don't feel you have to pose pictures and can be more authentic? Is it to save keystrokes (pictures easier to send than typing a sentence)?
              1. Mid 20s. Not old enough to have been alive for The Drive, but remember the Jags playoff game...

2. Fun interaction, most of my close friends are on the platform. Again for me, just a way to control who is able to see my stuff. As a young professional, I do not need the world seeing what I am sending to my friends on social media, especially considering the odds of some sort of substance being involved. Sexting sure. Less permanent (at least I think?) than a text/email. I think that is what the platform primarily started as, but with all the new features and gadgets that have come along (such as video, font changes) it has bloomed into something much more than that.

Comment

Can someone explain Snapchat to me? My brother in law, who is 17, was explaining "you can send pictures to each other!" "Like a text?" I asked. "Yeah, except you don't save them!" "Why would I want that?" "It's cool! And they're going to do video now!" "Like Skype or Facetime?" I asked. "Yeah but it's cooler."

I have been able to understand and appreciate a lot of the social media and apps they have for keeping people connected, but this one seems redundant to me. Can someone help me understand what it does and what the appeal of this seemingly redundant tech fad is?

#Getoffmylawn
                Be careful with Snapchat. You might end up like this guy.

A Virginia teen is facing felony charges for allegedly sexting his girlfriend a video of his penis, and the authorities want to photograph his erect genitalia to bolster their case, according to news reports.

If found guilty, the 17-year-old boy, whose name Ars is withholding, could be jailed until his 21st birthday and be forced to register as a sex offender.

The boy's attorney said that Prince William County prosecutors have obtained a warrant allowing them to photograph the boy's erect private parts, a development his attorney is fighting along with the accusations.
                More at link.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ens-genitalia/

Comment

Isn't that more "be careful about photographing your genitals and sending them over the internet" than just snapchat?

Comment

Isn't that more "be careful about photographing your genitals and sending them over the internet" than just snapchat?
                    That is what most people use snapchat for, except from one phone to another. Hince the word "sexting."

Comment

I've heard stories of drug dealers using it to show product, and use it as a substitute to text messaging. I personally have one, never send any pictures on it, but it is interesting to receive some and see what the hot chicks on my contacts list are up to on occasion. It's a silly premise, but twitter must think they are on to something, considering they offered them 3 billion to buy the rights.

Correction: Facebook made the offer.
                      Last edited by Bronc0guy; 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

My son loves it he gets naked pics of chicks and his mom doesn't catch him

Comment

I use it to send non-incriminating photos of my poop to president Fartbongo, and ask him to rate it.

Comment

That's pretty crappy if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                              I use it to send non-incriminating photos of my poop to president Fartbongo, and ask him to rate it.
                              It's perfect because if anyone ever asks if you sent them, you can say even under oath "no it was that asshole behind me".

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                                Hopefully there was no stool pigeon around.

Comment

Working...
                                X