Looks Like the Biblical Epic is Making a Comeback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks Like the Biblical Epic is Making a Comeback

First Noah and now Ridley Scott's take on The Ten Commandments, Exodus: Gods and Kings. First trailer is out.
    http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ri...er-1201259531/

I thought Scott was working on Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It seems to be experiencing some snags.
    Last edited by Rohirrim; 07-09-2014, 10:58 AM.

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
    I thought Scott was working on Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It doesn't seem to be experiencing some snags.
    Great novel. I'm a big McCarthy fan. My understanding is that he wanted to do it a couple years back but ended up realizing its not really the type of book you can translate to film. If its done right I would love to see it though.

Comment

Originally posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy View Post
      Great novel. I'm a big McCarthy fan. My understanding is that he wanted to do it a couple years back but ended up realizing its not really the type of book you can translate to film. If its done right I would love to see it though.
      If it was faithful to the book, it would be too gory even for U.S. audiences.

The trailer on this new one looks good. I'm a sucker for biblical epics.

Comment

Yeah I just googled it. Scott totally abandoned BM. Said it would've had to be well above an NC-17 rating. "Double XX" is what he called it.

Probably is the most violent book I've ever read.

EDIT: Was Noah as good as everyone said it was?

Comment

Yeah I just googled it. Scott totally abandoned BM. Said it would've had to be well above an NC-17 rating. "Double XX" is what he called it.

Probably is the most violent book I've ever read.

EDIT: Was Noah as good as everyone said it was?
          I haven't seen Noah yet. Waiting for the Bluray.

Comment

I don't mean to derail your thread here man but I take it you read McCarthy? Have you heard anything on his next book, The Passenger? I'm trying to find out when it might be released but haven't been able to find anything. I'm hoping late this year/first half of 2015.

Comment

They are great bedtime stories in fact the greatest stories ever told as long as you take them at face value then hollywood away. The moment people get all butthurt "because they didn't tell story correctly" then it all becomes a toilet bowl.

Comment

Angels v Demon movies should be taken in the same way as zombies, aliens, vampires v likens.

Comment

I don't mean to derail your thread here man but I take it you read McCarthy? Have you heard anything on his next book, The Passenger? I'm trying to find out when it might be released but haven't been able to find anything. I'm hoping late this year/first half of 2015.
                  I've read everything he's written. I haven't heard of the new one at all. I thought The Road was the best book he'd ever written. Don't see how he could top that one.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsanger View Post
                    Angels v Demon movies should be taken in the same way as zombies, aliens, vampires v likens.
                    Those stories make great, epic mythologies. Whether anybody believes in their validity or not is up to them. The Indians have some great ones too. The Ramayana and the Bhagavad Gita would make great movies.

Comment

Those stories make great, epic mythologies. Whether anybody believes in their validity or not is up to them. The Indians have some great ones too. The Ramayana and the Bhagavad Gita would make great movies.
                      Indeed, I honestly feel that a lot of fun stories have been missed due to film makers either turning their nose up at christian mythology or tip-toeing around it to avoid offending fundamentalist. There is some pretty wild stuff in apocryphal books that rival anything that Norse or Greek mythology ever threw at us.

Comment

You are making me wanna bust out the old Joseph Campbell myth DVD's.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                          You are making me wanna bust out the old Joseph Campbell myth DVD's.
                          Or, you could just watch Star Wars.

Comment

Or, you could just watch Star Wars.
                            Touche. I never noticed that until I found out about Campbell when I was in college. George seemed to love the guy.

The Power of Myth DVD's with Bill Moyers rock though. I am not sure if you have ever seen them, but I imagine you have. They go for a boatload online, but if you look hard enough you can get the series for $25.00.

truth is one the sages speak of it by many names

one of my fav quotes

rig veda it uppppp

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                              Touche. I never noticed that until I found out about Campbell when I was in college. George seemed to love the guy.

The Power of Myth DVD's with Bill Moyers rock though. I am not sure if you have ever seen them, but I imagine you have. They go for a boatload online, but if you look hard enough you can get the series for $25.00.

truth is one the sages speak of it by many names

one of my fav quotes

rig veda it uppppp
                              Oh yeah, I got heavily into all that stuff back then. His real, more scholarly works were under the heading of Masks of God and covered primitive, oriental and occidental mythology. Really dense stuff but unmasks the universality of human myth, which is what Jung always argued.

Comment

Working...
                              X