Signing Julius Thomas just got cheaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing Julius Thomas just got cheaper

Had Graham got the 12 million plus and with Gronkowski the highest paid at 9 million we should be able to save some money when signing Julius Thomas.

Jimmy Graham is a tight end after all.

In a groundbreaking decision, the NFL has confirmed that arbitrator Stephen Burbank denied Graham's request to officially be declared a wide receiver under the NFL's franchise-tag rules.Although Graham lined up either in the slot or out wide on 67 percent of his snaps last year, Burbank agreed with the New Orleans Saints and the NFL Management Council, who argued that the tight end position has always involved a combination of splitting out wide to run pass routes and staying in to block -- especially in today's modern passing offenses.

Graham and the NFL Players Association can appeal the decision within 10 days to a three-member appeals panel.

In the meantime, the Saints will not have to increase their one-year tender offer of $7.053 million to Graham. The receiver tender would have cost them $12.132

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...ints-tight-end

Saw this in the 'round the NFL thread. I am not surprised at the ruling. If we start basing the franchise tag off of performance factors we get into some weird areas. Positions in all sports change. The fullback used to do all the running back in the day. In the NBA the Centers were the main guys in the 70's. If you start designating the decision based on how you're used it gets dicey.

The NFLPA are fighting for a false savings here. I mean sure, Graham will make 5 million less - a significant portion, but he'll likely sign for as much if not more than the top three receivers in the game, and that contract will push the franchise numbers for tight ends up for the whole league. Short term, Graham being a "receiver" helps him, but it helps more players if Graham's new contract is bundled with the other tight ends long term. The franchise tag for receivers is already high. The NFLPA should be hoping Graham is listed as a TE when he signs his long term deal.

Comment

It helps from the standpoint of where to start his contract value. But overall it will come down to his performance.
      Definitely want to see that contract be a good one for the Broncos. Thomas is a key piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
        Saw this in the 'round the NFL thread. I am not surprised at the ruling. If we start basing the franchise tag off of performance factors we get into some weird areas. Positions in all sports change. The fullback used to do all the running back in the day. In the NBA the Centers were the main guys in the 70's. If you start designating the decision based on how you're used it gets dicey.

The NFLPA are fighting for a false savings here. I mean sure, Graham will make 5 million less - a significant portion, but he'll likely sign for as much if not more than the top three receivers in the game, and that contract will push the franchise numbers for tight ends up for the whole league. Short term, Graham being a "receiver" helps him, but it helps more players if Graham's new contract is bundled with the other tight ends long term. The franchise tag for receivers is already high. The NFLPA should be hoping Graham is listed as a TE when he signs his long term deal.
        It’s just a matter of time before they add changes to the positions with different money attached. There are blocking TE's and pass catching TE's as well as Linebackers and pass rushing linebackers also blocking FB's and HB's but under the current structure they are lumped together under the same franchise base numbers. The owners will use this to their advantage as long as they can.

Comment

NFL.com article that sort of goes with this:

Broncos plan to use Thomas more creatively.

IMHO: He isn't elite yet, nor should he be paid one. 5 year deal, 32 million. Lock it up.

Comment

Meh, i thought all along it would cost 6-8 mil a year, this doesnt really change that, although i guess it helps.

5 years, 30-35 million should hopefully get it done.

Comment

Great news for the Broncos. Looks like juice will be on the team next year no matter what. Cool man!

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                NFL.com article that sort of goes with this:

Broncos plan to use Thomas more creatively.

IMHO: He isn't elite yet, nor should he be paid one. 5 year deal, 32 million. Lock it up.
                He's not considered elite yet, which is why if I were JT, I would 86 any talk of any contract extension and wait til next offseason where JT will likely have more leverage.

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
                  He's not considered elite yet, which is why if I were JT, I would 86 any talk of any contract extension and wait til next offseason where JT will likely have more leverage.
                  Yeah the smart move for JT would be to play out this season and see how it goes.

Comment

Signing a 3 year 15m deal would also be an interesting incentive for him. Get him paid more now, and give him the opportunity to become elite. Both Denver and JT wins in this scenario, because when Peyton goes, we're probalby hittning the "implode" button anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
                      Yeah the smart move for JT would be to play out this season and see how it goes.
                      He has to think about the increase in injury (ACL's and Concussion) and realize it's a good reason to lock up a solid long term contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
                        He has to think about the increase in injury (ACL's and Concussion) and realize it's a good reason to lock up a solid long term contract.
                        Still would be a suckers move to sign now. I wouldn't short myself based on what ifs.
                        Last edited by peacepipe; 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnar View Post
                          Signing a 3 year 15m deal would also be an interesting incentive for him. Get him paid more now, and give him the opportunity to become elite. Both Denver and JT wins in this scenario, because when Peyton goes, we're probalby hittning the "implode" button anyway.
                          Denver offers that and they'll never resign JT.

Comment

TE money isnt ridiculous.

5 years, 30-40 million is about what it will cost either way if he blows up or not.

He's only had 1 good year, and never played a full 16.

If Denver offers him anything near that, he should accept.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragnar View Post
                              when Peyton goes, we're probalby hittning the "implode" button anyway.
                              This is the exact opposite of everything Elway has said and tried to do up to this point.

Comment

Working...
                              X