Ward bring attitude and versatility.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward bring attitude and versatility.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- T.J. Ward is a man of few words.

Perhaps that's why he hasn't quite received spotlight treatment on par with the Broncos' other free agent signings like DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib. Those two have been in the league longer and are obviously very talented and accomplished. But Ward is anything but a background contributor, as NFL offenses could tell you.

He embodies his “Boss” nickname in both his image and style of play. At 5-10 and 200 pounds, Ward is a condensed collection of muscle that bulges out of the rolled-up sleeves of his practice jersey. If that image isn't daunting enough, there's his dark visor and bold facemask.

Less than two weeks removed from the end of offseason practices, the time to intimidate opposing receivers who've been assigned a crossing route is still a long way off. For now, Ward is just embracing the offseason preparation in an environment he hasn't experienced in the NFL. After 18 total victories in four years with the Browns, he joins a team that had 15 last season alone, which he noted was a big factor in signing with Denver.

"Nothing against Cleveland but this is a winning culture," Ward said at the end of OTAs. "They're used to winning and you treat all things the same way, period: with a preparation to win."

"That's how the coaches treat you and that's how the players treat each other. You expect everybody to know their job, do their job and do it the right way.”

Like Ward, there are a few members of the Broncos' secondary who are learning new jobs in Denver, including Talib and rookie corner Bradley Roby. Ward has already developed good chemistry with fellow safety Rahim Moore, saying the two "vibed off each other's movements" during OTAs in May, and is working plenty with the other new acquisitions.

"We're all fresh to the secondary," Ward said."That makes it a little better for all of us. We're all taking our bumps and bruises together."

A man who normally hands out the bruises, Ward has been learning a variety of positions in Denver's system, as he lined up all over the field during OTA and minicamp practices. Throughout the offseason, Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio mentioned Ward's ability to play back or as a sub-package linebacker, a role he featured in for Cleveland last year. That versatility could be a major piece of Del Rio's "large library of thoughts and ideas" for the 2014 defense, and it's a role Ward embraces.

"I like to be everywhere," he said. "If it can change up my looks at different times and the offense doesn't see me in one spot all the time, it definitely helps us help the defense and that's what I want to do.”

Having the freedom to roam prior to the snap and hover near the line of scrimmage certainly helped Ward stuff the stat sheet last year. His 112 tackles were the third-most of any safety in the league, and he also chipped in 1.5 sacks and five passes defensed.

More on Broncos web site

This Defense should be awfully fun to watch

Comment

Anyone know why The Browns let him walk? From all reports he is the guy you want to be sure and keep.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
        Anyone know why The Browns let him walk? From all reports he is the guy you want to be sure and keep.
        No idea, they gave Whitner more than Ward.

Maybe both sides wanted to move on.

They did have a new coaching staff, so maybe Ward didnt fit what Pettine wants in his defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
          not sure how to post the quote thingys..NFL.com. had an interview with him on Sirus Radio. Basically he said they didn't want him back..new coaching staff guess had their own agenda ..Ward said he wasn't offered anything which I assume is money..didn't even meet the new coach..
          Surprised you know that, you come across as a Peyton Manning fan more than an NFL fan.

Given that sometimes you sound like two different people someone smarter than I might suspect you are a guy who is running a second account for off season pleasure. Either way I enjoy what you bring during this slow time. You are fun and funny. I especially like the way you piss off so many of the regulars here, both male & female. You are clever in the way an old poster here named Hot Rod was clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
            another poster just PM me saying the same thing..I don't know this Hot Rod chic but I like her.. these boys can be tough but I'm a true Southern girl..I don't scare easy..Baja babe..my Nana taught me a long time ago when it comes to pissing contests..ya don't have to have a dangly between the legs to play the game.. trick is making sure mine lands just a little further..
            Lol, carry on then

I grew up in the North East. My Nana told me "Don't eat the yellow snow".

Comment

Even better, he found his way to the ball for impact plays on several occasions. His nine tackles for loss bettered the totals of many top defensive linemen and were only exceeded among defensive backs by the Chiefs' Eric Berry, with no others even coming close. As a cherry on top, Ward made two interceptions -- taking one back for a game-clinching touchdown against Buffalo -- and returned a fumble 51 yards for a touchdown against Chicago.

After capping 2013 with his first Pro Bowl appearance, Ward is ready to keep the production rolling.

Sure seems odd they would just let this guy walk.

Comment

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- T.J. Ward is a man of few words.

Perhaps that's why he hasn't quite received spotlight treatment on par with the Broncos' other free agent signings like DeMarcus Ware and Aqib Talib. Those two have been in the league longer and are obviously very talented and accomplished. But Ward is anything but a background contributor, as NFL offenses could tell you.

He embodies his “Boss” nickname in both his image and style of play. At 5-10 and 200 pounds, Ward is a condensed collection of muscle that bulges out of the rolled-up sleeves of his practice jersey. If that image isn't daunting enough, there's his dark visor and bold facemask.

Less than two weeks removed from the end of offseason practices, the time to intimidate opposing receivers who've been assigned a crossing route is still a long way off. For now, Ward is just embracing the offseason preparation in an environment he hasn't experienced in the NFL. After 18 total victories in four years with the Browns, he joins a team that had 15 last season alone, which he noted was a big factor in signing with Denver.

"Nothing against Cleveland but this is a winning culture," Ward said at the end of OTAs. "They're used to winning and you treat all things the same way, period: with a preparation to win."

"That's how the coaches treat you and that's how the players treat each other. You expect everybody to know their job, do their job and do it the right way.”

Like Ward, there are a few members of the Broncos' secondary who are learning new jobs in Denver, including Talib and rookie corner Bradley Roby. Ward has already developed good chemistry with fellow safety Rahim Moore, saying the two "vibed off each other's movements" during OTAs in May, and is working plenty with the other new acquisitions.

"We're all fresh to the secondary," Ward said."That makes it a little better for all of us. We're all taking our bumps and bruises together."

A man who normally hands out the bruises, Ward has been learning a variety of positions in Denver's system, as he lined up all over the field during OTA and minicamp practices. Throughout the offseason, Defensive Coordinator Jack Del Rio mentioned Ward's ability to play back or as a sub-package linebacker, a role he featured in for Cleveland last year. That versatility could be a major piece of Del Rio's "large library of thoughts and ideas" for the 2014 defense, and it's a role Ward embraces.

"I like to be everywhere," he said. "If it can change up my looks at different times and the offense doesn't see me in one spot all the time, it definitely helps us help the defense and that's what I want to do.”

Having the freedom to roam prior to the snap and hover near the line of scrimmage certainly helped Ward stuff the stat sheet last year. His 112 tackles were the third-most of any safety in the league, and he also chipped in 1.5 sacks and five passes defensed.

More on Broncos web site
                Ugh, that makes me homophobic, don't think I can watch the games now, hahahahaha

Comment

I remember an article I read a while back......

Why the Cleveland Browns Absolutely Must Re-Sign T.J. Ward
                  Feb 10, 2014

"It is not very often that a team coming off of a 4-12 season has to choose which Pro Bowl player to let walk out the door. While that may be the situation in front of the Cleveland Browns, the decision is an easy one. Safety T.J. Ward is the guy who needs to be re-signed no matter what.

There are really only two major free agents who the Browns could potentially lose. Center Alex Mack and Ward are both set to hit the open market this offseason.

Besides free agency, Mack and Ward have a lot in common. They are both young impact players who play along side Joes who dominate their position. Mack has tackle Joe Thomas, and Ward has cornerback Joe Haden.

They are both coming off of a Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections as well.

That is about as far as the commonalities go. When you get to the financial end of these two players it is clear who is more valuable.

Mack has been a Pro Bowl center twice in his young career. He is going to want a huge contract, and rightly so. But as I laid out when talking about the franchise tag a few weeks ago, the best offensive lines in the NFL have centers who make very small salaries.

A long-term, big-money deal is the only option for Mack. His franchise tag number is over $11 million because the new collective bargaining agreement lumps all offensive linemen in the same category.

Ward, on the other hand, would cost just $8 million if hit with the franchise tag. That would make him one of the highest-paid safeties in the NFL, but he deserves it. Maybe not for the long term just yet, but certainly for one season.

Ward has yet to prove he deserves a long-term deal because he has just one full dominant season, but he has definitely earned the right to be labeled a “franchise player” for 2014.

ProFootballFocus.com gave him the third-highest mark among all safeties in 2013, and for the second straight year, he held the highest mark against the run. Even if he is given a top-five salary, he is already producing dividends.

It is not just the financial side, though. Ward brings leadership to a young defense that finally started to find its identity last year. NFL Films had Ward mic’d up during the Browns' prime-time game against the Buffalo Bills. It only takes one time through the video to see how much he means on the defense.

Whether he is giving speeches and leading the team onto the field before the game or hyping up the sidelines during the game, Ward has grown into exactly the type of leader needed to be dominant.

Ward's personality doesn't just shine through on the field, either. He has been known to hang out with Cleveland-area comics and even popped up in a few of their skits.

Back on the field, the demise of the Browns defense during the final few weeks of the season is what most people remember, but there was a long stretch where it was one of the best units in the league.

While the defensive line and cornerbacks had a lot to do with the success, there is one stat that points directly to the safety position. The Browns did not allow a 300-yard passer until Week 14 and did not allow a 100-yard rusher until Week 15.

That means that the Browns simply did not allow big plays all year. The final responsibility of making sure a normal gain does not become a game-changing play falls directly on the safeties.

Ward is only 27 years old and looks to be entering his NFL prime. If the Browns let him walk out the door now, then they will have to watch him make impact plays every week for another franchise.

It is time the Browns have a safety other teams fear. It is time the Browns have a safety who ends up in the Pro Bowl every season. It is time the Browns keep T.J. Ward.

This should be their very first priority this offseason."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...e-sign-tj-ward

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
                    I remember an article I read a while back......

Why the Cleveland Browns Absolutely Must Re-Sign T.J. Ward
                    Feb 10, 2014

"It is not very often that a team coming off of a 4-12 season has to choose which Pro Bowl player to let walk out the door. While that may be the situation in front of the Cleveland Browns, the decision is an easy one. Safety T.J. Ward is the guy who needs to be re-signed no matter what.

There are really only two major free agents who the Browns could potentially lose. Center Alex Mack and Ward are both set to hit the open market this offseason.

Besides free agency, Mack and Ward have a lot in common. They are both young impact players who play along side Joes who dominate their position. Mack has tackle Joe Thomas, and Ward has cornerback Joe Haden.

They are both coming off of a Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections as well.

That is about as far as the commonalities go. When you get to the financial end of these two players it is clear who is more valuable.

Mack has been a Pro Bowl center twice in his young career. He is going to want a huge contract, and rightly so. But as I laid out when talking about the franchise tag a few weeks ago, the best offensive lines in the NFL have centers who make very small salaries.

A long-term, big-money deal is the only option for Mack. His franchise tag number is over $11 million because the new collective bargaining agreement lumps all offensive linemen in the same category.

Ward, on the other hand, would cost just $8 million if hit with the franchise tag. That would make him one of the highest-paid safeties in the NFL, but he deserves it. Maybe not for the long term just yet, but certainly for one season.

Ward has yet to prove he deserves a long-term deal because he has just one full dominant season, but he has definitely earned the right to be labeled a “franchise player” for 2014.

ProFootballFocus.com gave him the third-highest mark among all safeties in 2013, and for the second straight year, he held the highest mark against the run. Even if he is given a top-five salary, he is already producing dividends.

It is not just the financial side, though. Ward brings leadership to a young defense that finally started to find its identity last year. NFL Films had Ward mic’d up during the Browns' prime-time game against the Buffalo Bills. It only takes one time through the video to see how much he means on the defense.

Whether he is giving speeches and leading the team onto the field before the game or hyping up the sidelines during the game, Ward has grown into exactly the type of leader needed to be dominant.

Ward's personality doesn't just shine through on the field, either. He has been known to hang out with Cleveland-area comics and even popped up in a few of their skits.

Back on the field, the demise of the Browns defense during the final few weeks of the season is what most people remember, but there was a long stretch where it was one of the best units in the league.

While the defensive line and cornerbacks had a lot to do with the success, there is one stat that points directly to the safety position. The Browns did not allow a 300-yard passer until Week 14 and did not allow a 100-yard rusher until Week 15.

That means that the Browns simply did not allow big plays all year. The final responsibility of making sure a normal gain does not become a game-changing play falls directly on the safeties.

Ward is only 27 years old and looks to be entering his NFL prime. If the Browns let him walk out the door now, then they will have to watch him make impact plays every week for another franchise.

It is time the Browns have a safety other teams fear. It is time the Browns have a safety who ends up in the Pro Bowl every season. It is time the Browns keep T.J. Ward.

This should be their very first priority this offseason."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...e-sign-tj-ward

WE ARE IN FOR AN EPIC SEASON - ONE WE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT FOR YEARS & YEARS IMO

Comment

Ware by himself is a game changer but when you add Ward and a healthy Von to the mix well the improvement is almost incalculable.

Comment

Ware by himself is a game changer but when you add Ward and a healthy Von to the mix well the improvement is almost incalculable.
                        I got some browns buddies on another website and they were pissed when he left. I couldn't be happier with some thunder in that backfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
                          I got some browns buddies on another website and they were pissed when he left. I couldn't be happier with some thunder in that backfield.
                          Not to mention a healthy Q Carter and The Dream, toss in a healthy Wolfe.

We got the big WWW ( WORLD WIDE WAMPUM) Ware Ward, Wolfe

Comment

Not to mention a healthy Q Carter and The Dream, toss in a healthy Wolfe.

We got the big WWW ( WORLD WIDE WAMPUM) Ware Ward, Wolfe
                            You know what W stands for right? Wins.

Dubya

Comment

Surprised you know that, you come across as a Peyton Manning fan more than an NFL fan.

Given that sometimes you sound like two different people someone smarter than I might suspect you are a guy who is running a second account for off season pleasure. Either way I enjoy what you bring during this slow time. You are fun and funny. I especially like the way you piss off so many of the regulars here, both male & female. You are clever in the way an old poster here named Hot Rod was clever.
                              Clever? If your suspicion that it's a duplicate account of another poster just trying to rile us up (highly doubt it), then maybe. If not, then no. Glad I wasn't around for this hotrod guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X