2015 Restricted Free Agents
    LS Aaron Brewer
    CB Tony Carter
    SS Duke Ihenacho
    LB Steven Johnson

2015 Exclusive Rights Free Agent
    LB Brandon Marshall

Observations / Musings:

1) 8 probable starters and 22 total Broncos are in a contract year in 2014 -- this seems exceptionally high, doesn't it?

2) This is nothing but good news for the upcoming season, though -- contract-year players usually put noticeably more effort into preseason preparation, and tend to leave all they've got on the field (a la Eric Decker in 2013).

3) Conversely, contract-year players generally play through minor- to medium-level injuries, and may often be out on the field operating at somewhat less than 100% towards the end of the season.

4) Our top 4 tight ends are all in a contract year, which is odd....

5) Forget the Thomas Twins, the Broncos need to lock down Aaron Brewer to a long-term contract now. Can't risk letting those lovely locks walk!

Last edited by BowlenBall; 07-01-2014, 02:51 AM.

Really there's only 6 key guys: Franklin, Moore, Knighton, Julius, DT, Harris.

You can argue/throw in Tamme, Green (i'd try to keep him for depth)

If i had my way, i'd try to keep DT, JT, Knighton and Harris.

And a couple depth guys.

Replace the rest with the draft.

Latimer/Welker.

Barrow/Irving.

Schofield/Justice.

Paradis/Montgomery.

Are some internal replacements.

Comment

OTH that means there should be cap space coming off the books thus money to sign the guys we want.

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
        OTH that means there should be cap space coming off the books thus money to sign the guys we want.
        Yes and No, some players salary increase (Manning if he returns, Ward, Ware, Sanders goes up 1 mil, some others)

But they will have some room to keep some of them.

Comment

Easy stuff for Elway to take care of!

Comment

Be nice if there was a spreadsheet so we know how Denver is positioned in terms of salary cap

Comment

Knighton is going to be hard to re-sign. If we can get one of the Thomas' for cheap, likely OJ, then that may help us get the rest of these squared away.

Comment

Priority: D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Knighton

Consider: Harris, Q. Carter, Moore, Green

RFA: Ihenacho, Brewer

Harris, Carter, Moore all have to prove that they are back to play after their injuries. I like Chris Harris a lot, but with the Broncos drafting Roby, Webster and signing Talib I believe they have their core three CBs of the future. Not sure they can afford to give Harris the contract he would likely command if he plays extraordinarily well this year, and that money might be better served retaining a place where we cannot truly afford to lose a player. Keeping Pot Roast is important, because we will still need to draft or sign a FA defensive tackle next year.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	John's.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2351630

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                    Priority: D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Knighton

Consider: Harris, Q. Carter, Moore, Green

RFA: Ihenacho, Brewer

Harris, Carter, Moore all have to prove that they are back to play after their injuries. I like Chris Harris a lot, but with the Broncos drafting Roby, Webster and signing Talib I believe they have their core three CBs of the future. Not sure they can afford to give Harris the contract he would likely command if he plays extraordinarily well this year, and that money might be better served retaining a place where we cannot truly afford to lose a player. Keeping Pot Roast is important, because we will still need to draft or sign a FA defensive tackle next year.
                    I'd probably agree with this.

Not to mention there isnt many other DT's under contract next year even if Austin makes the team (he signed a 2-yr deal).

Talib, Roby, Webster, vet FA, draft pick isnt a horrible top-5 if Harris left.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                      Knighton is going to be hard to re-sign. If we can get one of the Thomas' for cheap, likely OJ, then that may help us get the rest of these squared away.
                      TE money isnt too crazy, around 6-8 is what it should take unless his agent got crazy.

DT will get bank regardless.

How much you think Knighton costs, 6 mil a year seems about right?

Comment

Originally posted by LikeABoss5820 View Post
                        TE money isnt too crazy, around 6-8 is what it should take unless his agent got crazy.

I think DT will get at least $40 MM guarenteed . Denver needs to pony up .

Comment

Originally posted by CEH View Post
                          I think DT will get at least $40 MM guarenteed . Denver needs to pony up .
                          I dont know about that but 5 years, 60-70 million is a starting point.

Worst-case, they tag him and try to sign him like they did with Clady.

Comment

If he picks up where he left off I'd think it would be higher than that.

Knighton would be nice, but if the coaching staff remains intact on that side of the ball I would shuffle him behind Harris in the pecking order.

Comment

I don't think Knighton is signing for less than 8million a year. Some of the outrageous contracts that DT's have gotten the past couple seasons are going to make him want to get paid.

Comment

Working...
                              X