Trevathan aims to defy odds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trevathan aims to defy odds.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Linebacker Danny Trevathan is used to being questioned, criticized and undervalued. A sixth-round pick out of Kentucky in the 2012 draft, many outsiders didn't expect the “undersized” linebacker to make it out of camp.

He did make it out of camp. He went on to play in every game his rookie year.

But last season was his true breakout campaign as he led the team with 125 tackles and started every game. Though many people are, he isn't surprised by his success.

“It's expected by me,” Trevathan said. “I always expect to come in, once I get a feel for things, I can fly around and I can be the best player out there, especially playing with great group of guys that I did so I can definitely play really good within this scheme.”

Former Broncos linebacker and captain Wesley Woodyard, who signed with the Titans in free agency, was a key factor in Trevathan's rapid development. Trevathan said he learned a lot from Woodyard and he taught him how to be a leader. Woodyard also went to Kentucky and went undrafted. The two, both considered by many to be undersized and potentially not NFL material, formed a bond.

Without Woodyard lining up next to him, Trevathan said his role has grown and that it's now his responsibility to make sure the team gets back to the Super Bowl.

Trevathan is the ultimate underdog. But he is a work-horse and refuses to listen to those who have said he wouldn't succeed in the NFL. In fact, when people call him undersized, he feeds off of it and it pushes him to be better.

“It's always somebody saying you can't do something in life,” Trevathan said. “You always want to overcome those things. I have been fortunate enough to been put in a situation where I have the opportunity where I can. It's my job to make the most of it. Since I came in league, since I started playing football, they said, he can't do this and that. It's always been something I can't do.”

From broncos app.

He really isn't that undersized now. I don't get it when people make that claim. He isn't 6'3 and 255 like a prototype MIKE but he is good sized for a WILL

Comment

I don't the undersized thing either. He's listed at 6'1". Probably closer to 6, but still at 230, 6 feet isn't undersized.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
        its probably more his ability..for some reason people think the bigger they are the better they are ..which isn't always true..some of them hefty boys on the line cant keep up..

Comment

Obviously not everybody is the same size but generally speaking, most LB's are within a certain range of weight/height. I don't see a problem with where he is what so ever. What separates the good ones are technique and smarts. If you study and pick up on something then you can be much faster by eliminating extra steps by being in the right place at the right time. Technique then comes into play, body position (pad level, wrapping up, etc). I think Danny made huge strides last year and I think he will improve more this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
            okay Kaylore..guess it sounds better coming from a guy..this is what I was alluding to..
            You've become such a caricature of yourself that I have to assume everything you say is a juvenile double entendre.

Comment

Trev is 245 lbs of pure muscle. The dude added 15 lbs last offseason, and it ain't coming off.

That's what happens when you're not eating skittles for dinner.

Comment

God I hope he stays healthy this year, they have nobody behind him who is even a quality backup. Wish Woodyard would've accepted a backup/ST's/nickle role.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                  Trev is 245 lbs of pure muscle. The dude added 15 lbs last offseason, and it ain't coming off.

That's what happens when you're not eating skittles for dinner.
                  Wow, he really added 15 pounds? Not sure I'm buying that it was all muscle. It's hard to add 15 pounds of pure lean muscle in a year let alone an "offseason", what is that, like 5 months? Miller said the same thing last year and he definitely had a tad of chub mixed in with the new muscle. I'm guessing it was more like 7 or 8 pounds of muscle. Watch, after TC he'll lose that extra fat and be down to like 238-240.

Comment

Those Kentucky LBs can really play FB.

Comment

Working...
                    X