Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tony Gwynn

One of the top 3 hitters I ever saw...

Tony Gwynn, who banged out 3,141 hits during a Hall of Fame career spanning 20 seasons with the San Diego Padres, has died, it was announced Monday.

The lefty-swinging Gwynn had a career .338 batting average, won eight National League batting titles, and played in the franchise's only two World Series.

He had been signed to a one-year contract extension as the baseball coach at San Diego State on June 11. He had been on medical leave since late March while recovering from cancer treatment. He took over the program at his alma mater after the 2002 season.

holy crap...RIP

Comment

Very classy guy on the field. Even though I'm a Dodgers fan, I always respected Gwynn, and feared him every time he came to bat. RIP.

Comment

Dam there's the 3rd

Comment

Originally posted by bronco militia View Post
          holy crap...RIP
          Could not believe it so I popped on MLB and they are showing Gwynn. I just found out a few weeks ago that he had a stroke last year. One of the best pure hitters in the game. While others were cheating their way to fandom and bloated stats, Gwynn was happy as a fat guy in a non popular market of San Diego. He had his college, San Diego State, name their stadium after him and even coached there after his retirement. 1982 had some young studs coming up in Boggs, Sandburg and Gwynn. Stayed with his hometown team for his entire career. He will be missed.

Comment

class guy, RIP

Comment

RIP Tony Gwynn....that sucks, he was known as being one of the good guys in baseball.

He was always one of my favorite players to watch growing up and I tried to emulate his swing a lot when I was a kid, as we both batted left handed.

George Brett and Tony Gwynn were the two left handed batters whose swings I tried to copy when I was growing up.

I got Tony Gwynn's autograph at a game in Cincinnati in 1986 or 1987 and I'll always remember how many people he signed for before the game and how nice and patient he was to everyone who wanted his autograph. I still have that autograph on the back of my ticket stub from that game.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                Could not believe it so I popped on MLB and they are showing Gwynn. I just found out a few weeks ago that he had a stroke last year. One of the best pure hitters in the game. While others were cheating their way to fandom and bloated stats, Gwynn was happy as a fat guy in a non popular market of San Diego. He had his college, San Diego State, name their stadium after him and even coached there after his retirement. 1982 had some young studs coming up in Boggs, Sandburg and Gwynn. Stayed with his hometown team for his entire career. He will be missed.
                yeah, HE was the Padres for a long time.

Comment

Wish there were more Tony Gwynns in sports. He was all class and stayed with San Diego through their ups and downs.

Comment

Very sad... Classy guy and great great hitter.

Comment

Way too young. RIP Tony.

Comment

My favorite baseball player all time. Great guy too. The Padres haven't been the same since he left.

RIP

Comment

So young... very sad to hear.

RIP Tony!

Comment

Drag. An all-time great.

Don't chew, kids.

Comment

Wow, Noll, Kasem and Gwynn.
                              Damn that is one hell of a trio to lose.
                              RIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X