OT-Rabbit Destroying Lawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Rabbit Destroying Lawn

Ok, so it's not the Iraq-crisis, but I've got neighborhood bunnies ruining my front lawn by eating it and leaving their brown Trix-droppings all over the place. Short of putting a bullet between their fuzzy, little ears, what other advice does anyone have for ridding me of of this annoyance?

I've tried the over-the-counter repellents and those don't seem to work. I put out "Critter-Ridder" on the spots they frequent a couple days ago and they're right back out there sitting on top of the treated area. Tried something a couple years ago with dried fox-pee or some other such concoction but that didn't work, either. No point in trapping them because there's a den under several of the neighbor's porches so they'll just make more of themselves. Can't put up a fence (not in the front yard).

I'm seriously considering a pellet gun or something like that...

Originally posted by orangeatheist View Post
    Ok, so it's not the Iraq-crisis, but I've got neighborhood bunnies ruining my front lawn by eating it and leaving their brown Trix-droppings all over the place. Short of putting a bullet between their fuzzy, little ears, what other advice does anyone have for ridding me of of this annoyance?

I've tried the over-the-counter repellents and those don't seem to work. I put out "Critter-Ridder" on the spots they frequent a couple days ago and they're right back out there sitting on top of the treated area. Tried something a couple years ago with dried fox-pee or some other such concoction but that didn't work, either. No point in trapping them because there's a den under several of the neighbor's porches so they'll just make more of themselves. Can't put up a fence (not in the front yard).

I'm seriously considering a pellet gun or something like that...

Had this issue back when I was living in a suburb outside of Chicago. Best solution I found, nice aggressive house cat. Had a doggy door so she could come and go from the house as she pleased. She would mark along the edges of my property. Very quickly birds, rabbits and other pests started avoiding my house. A dog works as well, but you mentioned your front lawn and I'm not sure what leash laws are like in your neighborhood.

Comment

Gotta do what you gotta do.
      Attached Files

Comment

I just tell my wife to keep her Rabbit in the bedroom like a normal person...no reason for her vibrator to be on the lawn

Comment

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...it-Ragu-236843

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
            Had this issue back when I was living in a suburb outside of Chicago. Best solution I found, nice aggressive house cat. Had a doggy door so she could come and go from the house as she pleased. She would mark along the edges of my property. Very quickly birds, rabbits and other pests started avoiding my house. A dog works as well, but you mentioned your front lawn and I'm not sure what leash laws are like in your neighborhood.
            Have a German Shepherd but, yeah, letting her go in the front yard isn't much of an option. Have done it before and she'll take off after 'em (one of the big joys of her life!) but don't want her running lose in the neighborhood and it's rather embarrassing chasing her down the road hollering her name until she breaks off pursuit! (Obviously, a cat is out of the question as she'd take off after the kitty as she would a rabbit!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bronc0guy View Post
              Gotta do what you gotta do.
              Have figured out I need a .22 pellet gun to do the job efficiently. Gonna check with my CO State Patrol neighbor on if it's legal or not to shot that thing from my daughter's bedroom window which looks down onto the front lawn. Perfect perch for a sniper.

Comment

I had the same problem last year. But in the heat of tha AZ Summer I think that damn rabbit died.

Comment

Rabbit stew.

Comment

Something like this works. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370816443291?lpid=82

I also bought a red rider from the ranch store. It was like $40. Levels the playing field.

Comment

Originally posted by orangeatheist View Post
                      Have a German Shepherd but, yeah, letting her go in the front yard isn't much of an option. Have done it before and she'll take off after 'em (one of the big joys of her life!) but don't want her running lose in the neighborhood and it's rather embarrassing chasing her down the road hollering her name until she breaks off pursuit! (Obviously, a cat is out of the question as she'd take off after the kitty as she would a rabbit!)

I have two German Shepherds and one cat. My older shepherd pretty much leaves the cat alone and sometimes the cat will even curl up on him when he is lounging on the couch. However, my younger shepherd does love to harass the hell out of the cat. We got her a cat tower so she has a place to retreat to when the younger one gets after her. The first year of cohabitation can be rough, but they eventually mellow out.

Comment

Fox urine worked well in my back yard when they were living under my shed. Sprinkled it around a few areas and give it a little water. Did that for about a week, no more bunnies. Got a plastic bottle of it at a local feed store. And no, it is not a liquid, it is a powder, sprinkle it around, water lightly.

Comment

Comment

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com

Only way to get rid of them and it is completely silent.

Comment

put out other food they might like- try to harmonize?

Its like Squirrels, they girdle my trees, chew up my grape vines, dig up bulbs.....

I just learned to live with it, makes peace-

Bunnies and Squirrels and like Radicalized Jihadi Terrorists- kill one, two takes its place.

Comment

Working...
                              X