The "OFFICIAL" US OPEN thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "OFFICIAL" US OPEN thread

I waited for ZONA to post the thread as he likes to do but he is too busy worrying about gun control. Anyways I am not a fan of the no rough/burnout course setup. It looks too much like the Brittish Open. Kaymer is making it a sleeper though which is good because I won't feel so bad about missing the final round Sunday out at the lake.

Without tiger, the appeal just isn't there for the public. I'd like to see if the TV ratings drop or not

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
      Without tiger, the appeal just isn't there for the public. I'd like to see if the TV ratings drop or not
      A 7 shot lead by Kaymer isn't helping either.

Comment

US Open is the hardest setup of the Majors. It's a 33 year-old's tourney

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
          A 7 shot lead by Kaymer isn't helping either.
          I found myself not even paying attention yesterday until I saw Spieth toward the top.

Comment

It's gone from "Who's Who" to "Who dat?"

Comment

I don't mind the rough set up. I think it gives the field a better chance at being able to get shots to those rugged greens. But I wouldn't have cared if they kept it like it was either. This course is ALL ABOUT THE GREENS. Each green you realistically have only 1/3 of the green that will hold shots, the rest of it, will push your ball off the greens. So many times we say putting is what wins in the end. Well here, I think it's the approach shots that will win this tourney.

Comment

For me it is who takes advantage of their good iron shots. So many guys are hitting it close but not making the putt for birdie and end up 3 putting. Kaymer clearly is the guy who is striking it the best and making all his putts. He shoots a couple 72 or better the next 2 days he is the winner.

Comment

For me it is who takes advantage of their good iron shots. So many guys are hitting it close but not making the putt for birdie and end up 3 putting. Kaymer clearly is the guy who is striking it the best and making all his putts. He shoots a couple 72 or better the next 2 days he is the winner.
                  That's always a big if in any tournament. There are almost always guys with 2 day leads who blow it in the end. I think you'll see the better iron players manage their way to the top. With that thin weedy type of rough, players can get plenty of club on the ball in most cases. The better iron players will get to the greens more often and have opportunities.

I'm so glad next year they are going to Chambers Bay. I love all the courses they have in the rotation but I think they go to them a bit too often when there are some great new awesome courses that deserve to host, such as Chambers Bay and Sand Hills as well as some classics that haven't played in quite a while, like Seminole, Sebonack, Dallas National and Olympia Fields.

Comment

I hope for my watching sake that Kaymer bombs a 2 or 3 over tomorrow and dufner or phil play 3 or 4 under to get back within striking distance.

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                      I hope for my watching sake that Kaymer bombs a 2 or 3 over tomorrow and dufner or phil play 3 or 4 under to get back within striking distance.
                      I don't think Dufner even made the cut. Kaymer might dodge a bullet not getting paired with slow poke Na. That can be a death sentence. He needs Todd, Speith or Snedeker to get that spot. Na probably will be first in at 3 under.

Comment

I don't think Dufner even made the cut. Kaymer might dodge a bullet not getting paired with slow poke Na. That can be a death sentence. He needs Todd, Speith or Snedeker to get that spot. Na probably will be first in at 3 under.
                        No, Dufner missed the cut, along with Bubba and some other very good players. That's what those greens can do. Such a fine line between a decent shot that holds, or it leaks off and the next thing you know it's alot of work just to try and save par.

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                          No doubt Kaymer will come back to the field over the next 2 days. He's not going to shoot 4 65's, not even 3 65's. He'll most likely be 1 or 2 under par each day, which is enough if nobody else that's close now has a big day. If Phil can get to -1 under today, he's capable of putting up a big number. But Kaymer has a monster lead right now, all he has to do is just sail straight and not get careless.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                            No doubt Kaymer will come back to the field over the next 2 days. He's not going to shoot 4 65's, not even 3 65's. He'll most likely be 1 or 2 under par each day, which is enough if nobody else that's close now has a big day. If Phil can get to -1 under today, he's capable of putting up a big number. But Kaymer has a monster lead right now, all he has to do is just sail straight and not get careless.
                            Nobody would of said he would shoot 1 65 let alone b to b 65. There will be no more 65 s out there (in my opinion)now that they will dry that course out. Kaymer shoots 1 or 2 under as you mention the next two rounds Tigers record may be in jeopardy. I see him going wire to wire which he has proven he can do against the best field in golf.

Comment

Cutting the rough was a bad idea for the USGA to cut the rough and dry this course out. It plays much easier than it did the last 2 USOPENS here. Guys are making a lot of bogeys but you aren't seeing the huge numbers that you normally see at this tournament.

Comment

Working...
                              X