Solar highways and Parking Lots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar highways and Parking Lots

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qlTA3rnpgzU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_sVOg-sFWF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Could melt snow and warn you of animals or obstructions in the road ahead.

AWESOME!! Thanks for posting...

Comment

I love it.

1. It would have to be tested for a number of years in a number of climates and locations. ie: Exposure to the heat in death valley 128 degrees for 12 hours a day, or the brutal winters of the northeast.

2. It would have to be strong enough to withstand the weight of semi trucks transporting very heavy loads, such as military equipment. ie: A fully loaded 18 wheeler going full speed and slamming on the brakes.

3. It would have to be tamper proof to prevent hacking and to prevent criminals from stealing the components.

4. It will have to prove it is durable, reliable and long lasting enough to make it cost efficient.

5. Most importantly. Depending on the design, it would most likely still need a flat surface, such as concrete to be placed upon, otherwise the earth beneath it will naturally move and rains will washout beneath it.
      So it will still need to be surveyed, packed down, and have concrete or asphalt as a base.

That being said. It is absolutely brilliant. I love it. Very futuristic and just plain cool. Really love the changeable basketball court idea.

Good post. +1
      Last edited by Kevin8Nine; 06-07-2014, 02:19 PM.

Comment

It was reported in the local news that they're going to test this on a section of highway in Sandpoint, Idaho. This area gets quite a bit of snow in the winter, so if the new technology really is able to use solar energy to melt the snow and ice, it will be a Godsend for driving in the winter.

Comment

A few things:

1) Looks to be very bumpy
          2) I am sure the unions that currently put concrete or tar won't be happy if they can't replace as much as currently. They have fought having recycled rubber from tires being part of the highway in Arizona so I can see them figuring out how to b**** about it.
          3) Warn you of animals? Seems it would be a great way for poachers to hunt animals!
          Last edited by broncocalijohn; 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
            A few things:

1) Looks to be very bumpy
            2) I am sure the unions that currently put concrete or tar won't be happy if they can't replace as much as currently. They have fought having recycled rubber from tires being part of the highway in Arizona so I can see them figuring out how to b**** about it.
            3) Warn you of animals? Seems it would be a great way for poachers to hunt animals!
            Infrastructure is about the only good jobs we can't export, make it happen. Let the asphalt guys retrain or go the way of the blacksmith.

BTW is blacksmith a racist term under the new PC guidelines?

Comment

I think it sounds very interesting, but I really really hate that presentation. 1) because it was made by a retard. 2) Because it promises you the moon. Which automatically sets off my "too good to be true" alarm.

I think this is very likely a bunch of bull****. I think it is equally likely that the people selling this are going to be very rich very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
                I think it sounds very interesting, but I really really hate that presentation. 1) because it was made by a retard. 2) Because it promises you the moon. Which automatically sets off my "too good to be true" alarm.

I think this is very likely a bunch of bull****. I think it is equally likely that the people selling this are going to be very rich very soon.
                I did not like the presentation either. It's up there with Ghost Busters. Would not let kids watch.

Comment

Once self driving cars are a hit the market (? 10-15yrs) this thing becomes obsolete.

Comment

Here is an interesting video that gives several reasons why this idea is...impractical...to say the least.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H901KdXgHs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Molly wopped by science.

It's a pipedream at best. A scam at worst.
                    Last edited by mennonite; 06-07-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I like the idea but it would never have a return investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                        I like the idea but it would never have a return investment.

How about 350,000,000 electricity users

Comment

Originally posted by jutang View Post
                          Once self driving cars are a hit the market (? 10-15yrs) this thing becomes obsolete.
                          Self driving cars are going to power the future?

Comment

I think you let private entities try this out before you let the govt start replacing roads with it. Let Walmart or someone fund the installation of these things in their parking lots, determine their reliability, durability, and sustainability before trying to replace public roads. Walmart is moving strongly towards solar power and this would also save them money and make them an attractive place to shop in northern climates.

Comment

Originally posted by LRtagger View Post
                              Let Walmart or someone fund the installation of these things in their parking lots
                              During the day parking lots are full of cars so how do the the solar panels get charged? And at night the parking lots are empty, but there is no sun.

I highly recommend watching the video I posted above. It's actually pretty interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X