Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL’s Best Running Quarterback? The Answer May Surprise You

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NFL’s Best Running Quarterback? The Answer May Surprise You



    NFL’s Best Running Quarterback? The Answer May Surprise You
    Athletic QBs add a new dimension to offenses, but often the decision to scramble comes at the expense of the passing game. Hours of film study show how Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III rate as decision-makers—and difference-makers—with their legs

    Two weeks ago I spent some time at NFL Films, a mecca for any football nerd. They have an incredible system for all their footage and audio, called Saber. Using Saber you can, among other things, view and sort All-22 coaches film by almost any factor imaginable. Want to see every Peyton Manning pass on 2nd-and-8 since 2005? You can! How about every Patrick Willis third-quarter tackle? Of course! Or every incompletion targeted for Darrius Heyward-Bey? You bet! (If you have a month to spend, anyway.)

    I took the opportunity to break down every run by Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck from the 2013 regular season. Each player, save for Luck, had about 100 rushing attempts. After watching them all in a row, you start to notice patterns. I charted those patterns, focusing on (a) how successful each player’s scrambles and designed runs were, and (b) whether the scrambles stemmed from good or bad decisions.

    So often, running quarterbacks run because they can’t recognize where to throw. I’m not talking about receivers being covered or the defense befuddling a passer; I’m talking about a QB dropping back and failing to execute within the structure of a well-designed play. Sacks often stem from this, too, which is why I also charted them in a separate study.

    Football is not baseball; no statistical formula can portray exactly what is happening on the field. I would have loved to include incomplete passes in my study because, like scrambles and sacks, they often stem from undeveloped decision-making and unrefined fundamentals. Unfortunately, with only five days available at NFL Films, and only 12 hours available in each of those days, there was not enough time to view every incompletion.

    Nevertheless, the running plays and sacks revealed plenty. The conclusions: Newton, Wilson and Kaepernick are insanely talented athletes, Griffin was not himself last year and Luck is a comparable athlete to all of them and an overwhelmingly better quarterback.

    Here are the specifics…

    Sacks

    Player Sacks Taken QB at Fault Pct. QB at Fault
    Andrew Luck 36 0 0.0%
    Cam Newton 47 9 19.1%
    Colin Kaepernick 37 8 21.6%
    Robert Griffin III 38 10 26.3%
    Russell Wilson 48 15 31.3%

    That’s right: Luck was not the primary culpable offender for a single sack he took. The extremity of that statistic—ZERO!—is surprising, but the gist of it is not. Quarterbacks who keep their eyes downfield and move in the pocket with near-perfect mechanics don’t create their own sacks.

    read more

    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/05/andrew...acks-analysis/

  • #2
    But the stripper told me he sucks!

    Comment


    • #3
      He took 36 sacks and none of them were his fault? None?

      That seems a bit fishy to me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by mennonite View Post
        He took 36 sacks and none of them were his fault? None?

        That seems a bit fishy to me.
        check the charts in the article

        in the article:

        Also worth noting: Some of the “protection concept” sacks—and, to a lesser degree, some of the coverage sacks—could be on the quarterback, depending on what his play-calling and protection-setting responsibilities are. But without being in the team meetings, we have no way of knowing that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Action View Post
          check the charts in the article

          in the article:

          Also worth noting: Some of the “protection concept” sacks—and, to a lesser degree, some of the coverage sacks—could be on the quarterback, depending on what his play-calling and protection-setting responsibilities are. But without being in the team meetings, we have no way of knowing that.
          Yeah that chart is BS. It is not even mathematically possible to incur 36 sacks without it being your fault at some point. That doesn't even include the number of hits he's taken over his first two seasons. At one point RGIII was the only guy who had taken more.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lestat View Post
            Yeah that chart is BS. It is not even mathematically possible to incur 36 sacks without it being your fault at some point. That doesn't even include the number of hits he's taken over his first two seasons. At one point RGIII was the only guy who had taken more.
            The point of that stat was about self inflicted sacks...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
              noodles slide threw one's fingers very easily...thank you very much...and yes he does...
              Sounds X rated

              Comment


              • #8
                Lock it up guys, only Action gets to talk about this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Action View Post
                  The point of that stat was about self inflicted sacks...
                  Which usually occurs when you hold onto the ball too long

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lestat View Post
                    Which usually occurs when you hold onto the ball too long
                    That is not what the article is talking about - God damn you are stupid.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lestat View Post
                      Which usually occurs when you hold onto the ball too long
                      Action is not pleased.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                        Lock it up guys, only Action gets to talk about this.
                        Where did this even come from? I'm on a internet forum - you really think I expect people whom discuss the sport to all have played it?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Action View Post
                          That is not what the article is talking about - God damn you are stupid.
                          I know what the article is about, I looked at the charts and anyone with common can see that it's subjective conjecture and absolute BS.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                            Lock it up guys, only Action gets to talk about this.
                            YOU DON'T GET IT SQUARE!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Theres a much better way to look at all this and it involves.....

                              Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                              Lock it up guys, only Action gets to talk about this.
                              Oh well nevermind.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X