Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando Franklin is going to KICK ASS this year

Report: Orlando Franklin Thriving At Left Guard

In his most recent piece, the excellent Cecil Lammey made a very encouraging observation about Orlando Franklin and his switch from right tackle to left guard. In OTAs, Franklin is taking the bull by the horns so to speak. Sounds like left guard is definitely his job to lose.

Offensive Coordinator, Adam Gase, had this to say, regarding what type of technique Franklin must work on and perfect, in order to be an excellent left guard:

“We talk about it all the time and [G] Louis [Vasquez] does a great job of this as far as just your pad level. We just want to make sure these guys aren’t standing straight up and getting pushed back. It is a little less physical than what you expect, but you can do the little things right: your footwork, and just the way that you come off the ball, where it’s in a safe manner, but at the same time, you can show that you know what you’re supposed to do.” Gase concluded, “And then a lot of our stuff is assignment. ‘Hey, be right on what you’re supposed to do.’”

I’ve been a vehement supporter of the Broncos moving Franklin to left guard, since the off-season began. He’s a natural mauler. Although he’s worked on it and improved since he was drafted, he doesn’t have the quickest, or smoothest footwork, which is paramount on the outside. Especially when asked to take on quick twitch, explosive edge rushers and block them at the point of attack and keep them from collapsing the pocket, or bending the edge.

Rest of article right here →→ http://predominantlyorange.com/2014/...ng-left-guard/

This new juxtaposition on the offensive line is sure to make the Broncos’ running game a formidable weapon in 2014. Franklin, Manny Ramirez and Louis Vasquez are quite the beefy, nasty triumvirate to blast open holes inside for Montee Ball and keep Peyton Manning from getting pressure in his face.
    That is a nasty threesome. Very physical, strange now because both tackles are finesse players and the three interior lineman are brawlers. The inside running game could thrive this year.

Comment

I just read that and one thing that popped out was less physical. Why would you want to be less physical ? Why not learn to do the little things right and be more physical ?

“We talk about it all the time and [G] Louis [Vasquez] does a great job of this as far as just your pad level. We just want to make sure these guys aren’t standing straight up and getting pushed back. It is a little less physical than what you expect, but you can do the little things right: your footwork, and just the way that you come off the ball, where it’s in a safe manner, but at the same time, you can show that you know what you’re supposed to do.” Gase concluded, “And then a lot of our stuff is assignment. ‘Hey, be right on what you’re supposed to do.’”

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
        That is a nasty threesome. Very physical, strange now because both tackles are finesse players and the three interior lineman are brawlers. The inside running game could thrive this year.
        With Manning at QB our running game will be secondary until he is gone.

Comment

This article was brought up in another thread, but there's nothing happening yet to indicate that Franklin will be able "KICK ASS" at left guard. The article is stupid because they are forbidden from engaging in contact, so how do they know he's "thriving?" Because he pulls his rubber-bands in the gym really well? Because he keeps his mental assignments? I bet you I could "play" guard really well if we weren't allowed to make contact with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
            This article was brought up in another thread, but there's nothing happening yet to indicate that Franklin will be able "KICK ASS" at left guard. The article is stupid because they are forbidden from engaging in contact, so how do they know he's "thriving?" Because he pulls his rubber-bands in the gym really well? Because he keeps his mental assignments? I bet you I could "play" guard really well if we weren't allowed to make contact with each other.
            True, we have hope he'll do great, but there's nothing happening right now to know either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
              I just read that and one thing that popped out was less physical. Why would you want to be less physical ? Why not learn to do the little things right and be more physical ?

You can't have your guard on one level and your tackle yards behind him or stunts will eat you up. Thus your guard can't fire off and be physical in pass pro.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug View Post
                You can't have your guard on one level and your tackle yards behind him or stunts will eat you up. Thus your guard can't fire off and be physical in pass pro.

Franklin is all about power though right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post

A little hyperbole for the offseason

He looks great running around in shorts!!!

Comment

Franklin was a guard in college and he's a beast. I feel confident that he'll do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
                      Franklin was a guard in college and he's a beast. I feel confident that he'll do well.
                      On the downside of this I think Denver knows they are not going to resign him so they just move him inside and let him become a FA next year. I'd hate to see him go because he is one of my favorite Broncos. I really love his game at RT and I am sure he will be an even better guard.

Comment

If Franklin does outperform at this position, IMO we will have the best guard combo in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
                          On the downside of this I think Denver knows they are not going to resign him so they just move him inside and let him become a FA next year. I'd hate to see him go because he is one of my favorite Broncos. I really love his game at RT and I am sure he will be an even better guard.
                          Why would we release him ? He is a beast and the O-line is the most important part of the team.

Comment

How many names will he take via pancake?

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post

Yeah, I got something completely different out of that quote. To me it was Gase indicating that success is predicated less on physicality than you would imagine and more on technique.

Comment

Working...
                              X