Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultraviolet Hubble Ultra-Deep Field

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ultraviolet Hubble Ultra-Deep Field

    The latest from the Hubble telescope: 10,000 galaxies. Given that our Milky Way galaxy holds about 300 billion stars, you do the math. How many planets? Trillions? Is there life out there? Mathematically, yes. Beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5440225.html

  • #2
    AMAZING

    Comment


    • #3
      Probably NSFW

      http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp...ncg3o1_500.jpg

      Thats awesome.

      Comment


      • #4

        Comment


        • #5
          Just 'cause there's life out there doesn't mean it's intelligent.

          Comment


          • #6
            I hope McGruder made it back to his.

            Comment


            • #7
              <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1KF8v8RqO9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

              Comment


              • #8
                Make sure you make a BIG donation this Sunday at church. God really appreciates it

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                  The latest from the Hubble telescope: 10,000 galaxies. Given that our Milky Way galaxy holds about 300 billion stars, you do the math. How many planets? Trillions? Is there life out there? Mathematically, yes. Beyond a shadow of a doubt.
                  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5440225.html
                  Mathematically yes, and given the amount of time that has passed it should have found us by now.

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
                    Mathematically yes, and given the amount of time that has passed it should have found us by now.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
                    Maybe they already have?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lots of galaxies.........and........an infinite collection of universes. Humbling. Someone needs to figure out how to get through to our parallel universe. Perhaps we could change the outcome of the Super Bowl.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kevin8Nine View Post
                        Make sure you make a BIG donation this Sunday at church. God really appreciates it
                        i don't think God gets a cut of the money i donate. im sure the people i am helping well appreciate it though.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
                          Mathematically yes, and given the amount of time that has passed it should have found us by now.

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
                          I am not so sure on that second one. Mathematically speaking there are way, way, way more lifeless star systems than ones with life. And moving from star to star at advanced technology would take decades. Even with very advanced tech it would take a long time just to visit a few stars. The idea that lots of life = lots of intelligent life = lots of traveling through space intelligent life is fallacious and assumes many things.
                          • Life doesn't have to be intelligent or even complex. Many of those planets could have simple forms of algae and nothing more.
                          • Just because they have intelligent life doesn't mean their society cares to find someone else. Maybe exploration and contact isn't important.
                          • Assuming there is life, it is intelligent, it is advanced enough to travel through space and visit other worlds, why would they randomly choose our planet out of the trillions to visit? Maybe the species with all those characteristics is on the other side of the galaxy.
                          • There is a possibility life has visited already and we were in another state of evolution and they've moved on. We've only been like this for a few thousand years.


                          So life is likely. But to say they should have come by now is a reach.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                            I am not so sure on that second one. Mathematically speaking there are way, way, way more lifeless star systems than ones with life. And moving from star to star at advanced technology would take decades. Even with very advanced tech it would take a long time just to visit a few stars. The idea that lots of life = lots of intelligent life = lots of traveling through space intelligent life is fallacious and assumes many things.
                            • Life doesn't have to be intelligent or even complex. Many of those planets could have simple forms of algae and nothing more.
                            • Just because they have intelligent life doesn't mean their society cares to find someone else. Maybe exploration and contact isn't important.
                            • Assuming there is life, it is intelligent, it is advanced enough to travel through space and visit other worlds, why would they randomly choose our planet out of the trillions to visit? Maybe the species with all those characteristics is on the other side of the galaxy.
                            • There is a possibility life has visited already and we were in another state of evolution and they've moved on. We've only been like this for a few thousand years.


                            So life is likely. But to say they should have come by now is a reach.
                            Basically Fermi's is saying the numbers are so huge and the time line is so great saturation should have occurred by now. The universe is 13.8 Billion years old. A galaxy could be settled in a few tens of million years. You don't need every planet to sprout intelligent life, you only need a few species like us (in 2,000 years of so if we don't kill ourselves) who will not stop expanding because it is in our nature to know what is out there.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
                              Basically Fermi's is saying the numbers are so huge and the time line is so great saturation should have occurred by now. The universe is 13.8 Billion years old. A galaxy could be settled in a few tens of million years. You don't need every planet to sprout intelligent life, you only need a few species like us (in 2,000 years of so if we don't kill ourselves) who will not stop expanding because it is in our nature to know what is out there.
                              That view isn't one most people theorists agree with. The new formula for likelihood of life includes variables like a Jupiter size gas giant that make more life no less probable, but exponentially more rare.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X