MBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBA?

Interview with Leeds today. Should I do it? My uncle (whom I currently work for) does t seem to think I need it. Most of my leadership experience is military-related, since then a lot of marketing work. I'm 28.

Worth it?

Do you think you have what it takes to play along side LeBron?

Comment

Seems like the best place for career advice.

Comment

Very much so. In the near future, Grad degrees will be the equivalent of a college degree. I've got an MPA and it has gotten me more career opportunities and advancements then anything else.

Comment

IMO only "worth it" if it's being subsidized by your employer (unless money is absolutely no issue for you). Because unless it's from an Ivy or or other top 50 caliber school it really isn't worth all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
            I need outside advice from people with no motives.

I have three projects right now, each one takes about 15 hours a week of my time - a sales position at Vail, and two marketing/public affairs projects that I'm directing for entrepreneurial startups - a cancer non-profit and my Uncle's chain of hair salons.

My uncle doesn't want me to do it. He also really doesn't pay me THAT well, in the hopes that maybe equity will suffice as we expect market penetration to reach 15% from our current 1%.

Plus there are a ton of successful people on the mane... probably a few with MBAs. Just think... who has time to come to the Mane midday? Losers like myself, and, people who control their own schedule - either by having a great job or by working for themselves.

Also, I want Meck and TJ to chime in here, too. I've known them forever, and I admire them quite a bit (from an entrepreneurial perspective).

Probably Broncenstein (even though he's kind of a dick to me sometimes) and anybody who owns their own business or has an MBA, as well.

Also The Rev, since we both have similar (Military NCO management) work experience.
            Last edited by Mogulseeker; 06-03-2014, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
              IMO only "worth it" if it's being subsidized by your employer (unless money is absolutely no issue for you). Because unless it's from an Ivy or or other top 50 caliber school it really isn't worth all that much.
              GI Bill.... I get a full ride, plus a $1,600 a month living stipend if I'm in school.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                GI Bill.... I get a full ride, plus a $1,600 a month living stipend if I'm in school.
                then you would be stupid not to.

Look at this way, it's going to be a hellish 2 years but if you set yourself up for future earnings beyond what you could make NOT getting the degree, the answer is simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabb View Post
                  We do better at relationship advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason in LA View Post
                    We do better at relationship advice.

Comment

As a current military member and someone looking to start a master program next year, you should get it. Like others have said in a couple of years an undergrad will be the norm and the graduate will set you apart.

If you have the GI Bill you would be silly not to use it now to go to school unless you have other plans for the GI Bill. I personally am signing mine over to my children as I expect to finish off at least 1 masters prior to retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                        Interview with Leeds today. Should I do it? My uncle (whom I currently work for) does t seem to think I need it. Most of my leadership experience is military-related, since then a lot of marketing work. I'm 28.

Worth it?
                        If you're getting it mostly paid for from your GI Bill, you would be an absolute fool NOT to do it. Not just for the degree itself, but for all the connections you make along the way.

But just remember, the piece of paper doesn't alone give you the opportunities. I know many people with a degree that make $30K a year.

Last bit of advice. Once you find a field that you really like, and learn a good amount of information in it, you should definitely seek out to try being self employed, at least once. The freedom you have is off the charts and it's life changing. Corporations today want you to slave for 50 weeks a year for them as they slash benefits and keep pay down. This country was at it's best when more people worked for small companies or had their own company.

Comment

if it didn't cost me 15K a year, i would do it.

my gi bill has expired.

i know based on my skill set, i qualify for alot of jobs. but because i only have a 4yr degree, i wasn't a prime candidate.

also, may big companies will not promote you into managment/director level if you didn't have a mba.

Comment

My interview with Leeds is today at 3.

My strategy is the same as it always has been: be honest and be myself.

Is there any topic or anything that I absolutely must say?

By the way, I wouldn't make threads like these if I didn't trust a lot of people on here... and didn't view the OrangeMane as sort-of my family. So thanks everybody!

Comment

If you are going to go very far, with your marketing stuff, you need a MBA. My brother-in-law is a marketing guy for a national grocery chain. They told him that they can't promote him WITHOUT a MBA...

Comment

Working...
                              X