How a Record-Setting Offense Can Improve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How a Record-Setting Offense Can Improve

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- You might think that for an offense that racked up the records in 2013, trying to better that performance could be daunting.
    But Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase and Co. are already focused on areas of emphasis for this season, including reducing turnovers and improving execution in two-minute and red-zone situations.
    The Broncos fumbled 49 times (tied for fifth-most in the league) in the past two seasons and lost 30 (third-most). They also had eight fumbles in four playoff games, losing three.
    "I talked about it a lot last year and we kept putting the ball on the ground," Gase said Thursday. "We’re starting it right now. We need to improve on that. We need to be a better turnover-margin team and it starts with us."
    Gase also would like to tweak his own playcalling in certain situations.
    "Going back and looking at our two-minute, there’s a lot of calls which I wish I could have had back there," he said. "Inside the 5[-yard line], we actually didn’t score as many touchdowns as we would have liked."
    Though Denver led the NFL in red-zone touchdown percentage (76 percent), they kicked 13 field goals from the red zone, including three when the ball was on the 1-yard-line. The offense stalled in the red area more frequently as the year went along, with eight red-zone field goals coming in the final eight regular season games and two in the playoffs.
    Beyond emphasizing last year's weak points, the team anticipates improvement on a personnel level, simply from a development standpoint.
    Though he broke out last season with a Pro Bowl campaign, tight end Julius Thomas still has just five years of organized football experience under his belt, two of which were hampered by an ankle injury. As he continues to learn the intricacies of the game, he could become even more effective.
    "He’s a really smart player and person," Gase said. "He understands what defenses are trying to do and I’m really excited to see what he can do this year."
    Likewise, though Knowshon Moreno left for Miami in free agency, the team is confident that second-year running back Montee Ball can be a breakout starter.
    Ball -- who Gase says brings the "full package" of skills to the position -- showed that ability late last year, outrushing Moreno (297-214) in the final five games of the regular season despite receiving fewer carries (45-54).
    "He’d probably be the one guy where he made the most improvement," Gase said of Ball's strong finish to 2013. "And to see him make the next jump in his second year, we’re looking forward to that."
    The standard has certainly been set after last year's record-breaking campaign. Setting the focus so early is the first step in returning to that level.
    "All these guys, it’s not going to be easy," Gase said. "Our expectations are so high."
    "You’ve got to work hard to make sure we can get better than we were last year."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...f-ad5ca3de408f

When you consider only two teams lost more fumbles than the Broncos over the last two seasons it is amazing what this offense has accomplished.

Comment

It's ridiculous that this wasn't taken care of last year.

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
        It's ridiculous that this wasn't taken care of last year.
        Your comment is ridiculous. They were busy getting so many things right hence the record breaking that some things fell through. Ya, totally ridiculous.

Comment

the broncos lead the league in almost every offensive stat, but they were only 15th in time of possession. Focusing on the running game AND taking care of the football should help that number (and the defense).

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...atistics/2013/

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
            They were busy getting so many things right hence the record breaking that some things fell through.

Yeah, just too darn busy to remember to emphasize not giving the ball to the other team. No big deal. i guess Fox was too busy coming up for the perfect plan to beat the Seahawks in the SB to work on minor details like that.
            Last edited by mennonite; 05-30-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

A better running game will fix a lot of that. Securing the ball is definitely important.
              We have to be able to run in all situations and potentially dominate on the ground.
              Just once this year I would love to see a RB house it from 50-60 yards.

Comment

its almost impossible that all of the fumbles we lost will be gained by the other team at that high of a rate again.

Comment

This is really amazing considering our #1 back had over 300 touches and not a single lost fumble this past year.

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                    its almost impossible that all of the fumbles we lost will be gained by the other team at that high of a rate again.
                    I don't think it's that far fetched. The best way to address the issue is to end it.

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                      It's really telling when you look at the defensive statistics.

2013:
                      US - 18 forced fumbles, 9 fumble recoveries
                      OPPONENTS - 14 forced fumbles, 15 fumble recoveries

2012:
                      US - 20 forced fumbles, 8 fumble recoveries
                      OPPONENTS - 15 forced fumbles, 14 fumble recoveries

Maybe we just need to do a better job getting on top of loose footballs on offense and defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                        hince the green balls in practice...
                        Yeah but the issue with practice is that we do not face the same type of D we will see against top notch teams.

Ideally though this will cure the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Lestat View Post
                          Yeah but the issue with practice is that we do not face the same type of D we will see against top notch teams.

Ideally though this will cure the issues.
                          Well I think it will help that we have a tougher schedule next year. Playing Seattle and San Fran will help because they have actual defenses not that soft nonsense the AFC has been fielding. Maybe we will be more prepared to win a Super Bowl next year, not just show up and look like deer in headlights.

Comment

whatever it takes I reckon.... I don't care if it was blueballs..as long as they fix what they think needs fixin...
                            Sounds like something you done to a few guys in the past.

Originally posted by Miss I. View Post
                            Well I think it will help that we have a tougher schedule next year. Playing Seattle and San Fran will help because they have actual defenses not that soft nonsense the AFC has been fielding. Maybe we will be more prepared to win a Super Bowl next year, not just show up and look like deer in headlights.
                            I agree that playing those tougher defensive teams will help.
                            We hopefully will be facing very tough D's in the Hawks, Niners, Jets, Cards, Raiders and Rams.
                            With that said, the mentality and physicality have to change and turn into a team that imposes their will on the opposing D.

hope your right cause if we loose to Seattle AGAIN...Im gonna have to say by to this cruel world....
                            I am going to catch so so so much flack for this but...
                            You promise?

Comment

OH YEAH... If I gotta hear 1 more time from a Sea Chicken fan oh its OVER... Im outta excuses for our boys no other choice...
                              Always an excuse. "You see, what had happened was."

Comment

Working...
                              X