Class move by Seahawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class move by Seahawks

Classy Seahawks sign draft pick before having to cut him due to heart condition

Seattle Seahawks waived offensive tackle Garrett Scott with the non-football illness designation.

Scott, during a physical with the team, was found to have a rare heart condition that will keep him from playing, the Seahawks said. Scott played in college at Marshall.

There's a silver lining. The Seahawks found out about Scott's condition before signing him but the team signed him to his contract anyway, then waived him. That means Scott receives his signing bonus and first-year salary totaling about $555,000, according to Bob Condotta of the Seattle

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...234534881.html

Paul Allen

Comment

**** those classy assholes.

Good for the kid.

Comment

That's actually kind of shocking. It's one thing to sign him to a contract to make his NFL dream come true, and blah blah blah. It's another thing to back that up with a check. I assume it will still count against their cap?

Very nice gesture.

Comment

Seattle hitting all the right buttons

Comment

If I was that player, I would be very curious as to why none of the doctors who examined me during my college career spotted this condition.

p.s. **** Armchair Bronco.

Comment

Obvious PR stunt is Obvious... Lol

Comment

That's a boss gesture, That is a ½ mill hit on their cap correct?

Comment

Originally posted by mennonite View Post
                  If I was that player, I would be very curious as to why none of the doctors who examined me during my college career spotted this condition.

p.s. **** Armchair Bronco.
                  Nobody goes looking for cardiomyopathy in elite athletes unless there is some type of symptomatic problem. Playing competitive football at a level consistent with NFL talent statistically excludes just about any symptomatic cardiomyopathy. Outside of a murmur or arythmia, the basic physical exam isn't going to detect an exotic heart lesion. They probably put these guys through echocardiograms and found something that to date had been silent.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
                    well now I understand that Dr. in your name... what you said sounds logical to me...
                    Ya he is amazing for a dentist.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                      Nobody goes looking for cardiomyopathy in elite athletes unless there is some type of symptomatic problem. Playing competitive football at a level consistent with NFL talent statistically excludes just about any symptomatic cardiomyopathy. Outside of a murmur or arythmia, the basic physical exam isn't going to detect an exotic heart lesion. They probably put these guys through echocardiograms and found something that to date had been silent.
                      I know what symptomatic and exotic means. The rest just makes me want to sling a handful of goofballs.

Comment

The Seahawks think these types of problems are common enough that they are worth checking for before letting someone play. Why don't college teams?

Comment

Originally posted by spdirty View Post
                          Paul Allen
                          Exactly. It's really not that much of a cap hit and the owner can easily afford this kind of move. Kudos to them but then again, it's like you or me giving the beggar on the side of the road a dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                            it's like you or me giving the beggar on the side of the road a dollar.

...so you're saying Paul Allen got a handy out of this? Gotchya.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                              After Gaines Adams died I'm sure all teams started testing their players for things like this.

http://www.famousdead.com/gaines-adams/
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaines_Adams#Death

Comment

Working...
                              X