Malik Jackson Broncos' "Secret Superstar"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malik Jackson Broncos' "Secret Superstar"

He went on to play 726 snaps in the regular season and playoffs, earning a +19.2 grade that placed him 13th among defensive tackles. He was a disruptive force against both the run and pass; his 9.3 Run Stop Percentage in the regular season was 14th at his position and his 9.2 Pass Rushing Productivity was sixth.
    At 6-foot-5 and 293 pounds, Jackson has the strength to set the edge and bully offensive tackles on the outside. And yet he still has much of the same speed he had when he was a 245-pound defensive end, making him too quick for guards and centers on the inside. In the same way that a big and fast tight end can create mismatches on offense, that’s what Jackson’s versatility brings to the Broncos defense.
    Read the whole thing here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...enver-broncos/

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
    Is this the same website that said Manning was only the third best player last year?

Comment

If we can get a pass rush from him and Smith this year we will be good.
      I had never been so geeked about a later round pick as I was when we took him.

Comment

Hes exactly the type of guy the Patriots covet.......big, strong, versatile player. That Jacksonville sequence he had last year was phenomenal. Cant wait to see what he does this season.

Comment

Malik is better than what Robert Ayers was supposed to be.

Comment

Code:
            Position          Snap %          QB Pressures          Run Stops 
            Edge DE           18%              9                          10 
            Interior DE       50%              15                         6 
            DT                17%              12                         4 
            NT                13%              10                         0
            There are a few things I really like about Malik Jackson. For one, he shows great ability to use his hands. Secondly, he shows good ability as an edge run defender, especially in pursuit. Third, he is adept at pressuring the QB on stunts.

There's also a couple things I don't like. He's a guy who you struggle with where to lineup along the DL. Contrary to PFF's findings, the only time I saw him get pressure as an Edge DE was when he'd stunt and curl on the inside, not by beating OT's 1-on-1. Should he drop about 10 lbs. to be able to get more speed around the edge, getting more snaps at DE, and spelling Ware? The other thing I don't like is that he's not great at POA on the interior DL. He has a tendency to get pushed out of the hole on inside runs. Does he put on more weight to become a full-time penetrating DT?

I don't expect the Broncos to be able to re-sign Terrance Knighton (maybe not even Vickerson) in 2015. It's good they have two versatile DL in Jackson and Wolfe who have both shown good ability creating pressure, while being big enough to play on the interior. It'll be interesting to see what Del Rio does with these guys this year.

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
              Code:
              There are a few things I really like about Malik Jackson. For one, he shows great ability to use his hands. Secondly, he shows good ability as an edge run defender, especially in pursuit. Third, he is adept at pressuring the QB on stunts.

There's also a couple things I don't like. He's a guy who you struggle with where to lineup along the DL. Contrary to PFF's findings, the only time I saw him get pressure as an Edge DE was when he'd stunt and curl on the inside, not by beating OT's 1-on-1. Should he drop about 10 lbs. to be able to get more speed around the edge, getting more snaps at DE, and spelling Ware? The other thing I don't like is that he's not great at POA on the interior DL. He has a tendency to get pushed out of the hole on inside runs. Does he put on more weight to become a full-time penetrating DT?

I don't expect the Broncos to be able to re-sign Terrance Knighton (maybe not even Vickerson) in 2015. It's good they have two versatile DL in Jackson and Wolfe who have both shown good ability creating pressure, while being big enough to play on the interior. It'll be interesting to see what Del Rio does with these guys this year.
              Malik Jackson is a very specific player for a specific role. He plays great where he can go one on one with a Guard, use his wingspan and straight line speed to get after the QB. He doesn't move/recover well going laterally.

I agree with you, he shouldn't be playing off the edge as much but then again, when the injuries hit last year we were forced to play him more at DE.

Comment

Does he put on more weight to become a full-time penetrating DT?
                Its Maliks versatility as a pass rusher that makes him so valuable imo. Like you said, hes not great at the POA in the interior. Hes also not a great edge rusher because he does lack the moves and speed. I really doubt the Broncos pen him into a position but rather continue to shuffle him as they see fit.

Comment

Code:

No, he needs to stay as a flex guy. That's where he maximizes his value. He has End tendencies with the size for DT.

Comment

Elway can't draft- Dud.

Comment

Malik had a great year, still think we're better suited for a 3-4 scheme.

Malik/Wolfe are perfect 3-4 DE's.

Yes, i know we run a lot of 5-2/4-2-5 looks.

Comment

Med called it. John Madden/John Gruden would go off on"Now here is a guy who is labeled 2 down thumper/3 down MLC, 1 gap, 2 gap, DT, DE, 4-3 or 3-4 whatever you claim the guy is. He is just a football player who brings it with his hard hat and lunch pail."
                        Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 05-22-2014, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lestat View Post
                          No, he needs to stay as a flex guy. That's where he maximizes his value. He has End tendencies with the size for DT.
                          I'd almost rather see both Jackson and Wolfe commit to be interior penetrators. I cringe every time there's a pass play and the OT has either Jackson or Wolfe locked up. Hopefully, with the offseason training program this year, Sly Williams will take that next step too.

Those 3 guys have me confident that no matter what happens with Knighton, we'll have a good penetrating interior DL for a long time.

Comment

Don't make me get in this thread!

Comment

Malik Rules...this is his year!

Comment

Working...
                              X