OT: Buying from a dog breeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Buying from a dog breeder

A few questions for anyone knowledgeable.......

I'm considering getting a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Yeah, I know....I should buy from a shelter, but we really like this breed.

Anyway......the breeder is charging $1,500......a lot of breeders around here charge upwards of $2,000. So, #1......Does this seem reasonable?

Also, for this particular litter, he is NOT giving papers....the reason he said is because the owner of the stud male (someone else) doesn't WANT people breeding the puppies. #2.....does this make sense?

A few people have recommended this guy, and he said he'd provide vet references.....so that makes me feel better. I guess the whole "lack of papers" had me suspicious.

Any input would be appreciated....

No papers WALK AWAY

Comment

"If it sounds too good to be true....."

Pass.

Comment

Originally posted by 55CrushEm View Post

I'm considering getting a Golden Retriever from a breeder. Yeah, I know....I should buy from a shelter, but we really like this breed.

Anyway......the breeder is charging $1,500......a lot of breeders around here charge upwards of $2,000. So, #1......Does this seem reasonable?
        Any pedigree dog these days is going to run near a couple grand, that's reasonable.

Also, for this particular litter, he is NOT giving papers....the reason he said is because the owner of the stud male (someone else) doesn't WANT people breeding the puppies. #2.....does this make sense?

A few people have recommended this guy, and he said he'd provide vet references.....so that makes me feel better. I guess the whole "lack of papers" had me suspicious.

This is absolutely not kosher. Any breeder that has any amount of professional credentials will ALWAYS have papers. There is never a reason not to. The excuse you sight is not an acceptable answer; any breeder (and responsible one's usually do) can have in a contract that says you will spay/neuter the dog you get before sexual maturity. The reputable breeders will make sure it's enforced too.

I have dealt with great breeders and sketchy ones. This guy sounds like the latter. That isn't to say he's a bad guy, or that he's doing anything overtly malicious, but at the very least he isn't taking the necessary steps that a good breeder should.

Go with a breeder who has NO red flags; if this guy isn't offering papers I doubt he's offering guarantees that a reputable breeder should; Like assurances against genetically passed health conditions, etc.

All a vet reference is going to give you is to say that the guy has had the puppies wormed a couple of times and that they've had their first round of shots. A veterinarian sees any extremely small cross section of how a breeder goes about things, and I wouldn't trust that cross-section all that much.

Comment

It seems reasonable if you're not going to breed it.

Comment

Thanks all. I have some more work to do.

Anywho.....here's a few pics of the pup.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	pup 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	2351494
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20140518_170933.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	2351495

Comment

How about adopting from a shelter and saving a life?

Just sayin'.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dedhed View Post
                Any pedigree dog these days is going to run near a couple grand, that's reasonable.

This is absolutely not kosher. Any breeder that has any amount of professional credentials will ALWAYS have papers. There is never a reason not to. The excuse you sight is not an acceptable answer; any breeder (and responsible one's usually do) can have in a contract that says you will spay/neuter the dog you get before sexual maturity. The reputable breeders will make sure it's enforced too.

I have dealt with great breeders and sketchy ones. This guy sounds like the latter. That isn't to say he's a bad guy, or that he's doing anything overtly malicious, but at the very least he isn't taking the necessary steps that a good breeder should.

Go with a breeder who has NO red flags; if this guy isn't offering papers I doubt he's offering guarantees that a reputable breeder should; Like assurances against genetically passed health conditions, etc.

All a vet reference is going to give you is to say that the guy has had the puppies wormed a couple of times and that they've had their first round of shots. A veterinarian sees any extremely small cross section of how a breeder goes about things, and I wouldn't trust that cross-section all that much.
                So here are a few more stupid questions.......

What "papers" should I receive when I buy from a breeder?

I'm assuming a contract from the breeder with a guarantee, as well as an official AKC form showing that the dog is registered?

Anything besides those 2 things?

Comment

Any particular reason you're going to a breeder?

Comment

Originally posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
                    No papers WALK AWAY
                    This or the price dropped really really low.

Comment

Might also want to consider why you want the dog. Breeding, showing, or just being a dog for you or your family? If it's the latter, papers and higher cost may not need to be a priority.

Comment

Think of Breeders as salespeople too. Just like buying a car.

Make sure everything checks out, get a vet check, etc. That "If they're defective" guarantee is bull**** too, you're not going to put your pup down in 2 years and be like "I want my warranty exchange."

Comment

Originally posted by Doggcow View Post
                          Think of Breeders as salespeople too. Just like buying a car.

Make sure everything checks out, get a vet check, etc. That "If they're defective" guarantee is bull**** too, you're not going to put your pup down in 2 years and be like "I want my warranty exchange."
                          I had that issue with my male Shepherd from a breeder they awarded me a new pup. Yeah no way can you put down a dog after a yr or two unless it was cancer. He lasted 10 yrs with one bad hip but, he was slowed down well before he was a super dog.

Other problem that is people forget honoring warranty is great and landing a new dog but, you don't get a healthy version of the special dog traits you got before which is another bummer.
                          Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCMElway View Post
                            How about adopting from a shelter and saving a life?

Just sayin'.....
                            This!

Shelter dogs are awesome.

Comment

The money is on the papers, AKC registered, the bloodline (parent's), the breed should all be documented.
                              That's what pretty much certifies the dog is pure bred...
                              The dog'd parents should be AKC registered if you ever want to register your dog, what the owner doesn't want you to do is to profit from it if your dog was to sire its own bloodline
                              If you really like the dog, and it looks like a good pick for what I can see in the pic, then try to negotiate a better price in lieu of the papers.
                              A good certified/AKC registered bloodline commands big bucks
                              Im not sure if there's a way around to make your dog AKC registered if you don't have papers that show it's purebred
                              Last edited by strafen; 05-19-2014, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X