Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would DT take the 3yr/30M contract Brandon Marshall just signed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would DT take the 3yr/30M contract Brandon Marshall just signed?

And why dont we cut Mannings boys apparently (Tamme and Dressen) and make this happen?
    These are just 2 questions Eric has on his mind today.

We wouldn't have to cut them to extend DT.
    But **** that, DT needs a 5-6 year extension. Not a 3 year one. That would be a huge pay raise after the 2nd year.

Comment

Originally posted by ATL-Eric View Post
      And why dont we cut Mannings boys apparently (Tamme and Dressen) and make this happen?

Mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Lestat View Post
        But **** that, DT needs a 5-6 year extension. Not a 3 year one. That would be a huge pay raise after the 2nd year.
        Agreed. Plus would rather have him long term. Although with cap carryover, it makes sense to cut either Tamme or Dreesen because of the added depth at WR with Latimer.

On one hand I like Dreesen because he's a hometown kid, can play FB in goalline situations, and I believe he plays ST, too...

But Tamme can tween as a TE/flanker WR, and - at least statistically speaking, Tamme has some of the most reliable hands in the NFL (in 2012, he had the lowest target-to-drop ratio in the league).

Comment

How many times does this have to be answered? Dreessen can't be cut until he heals or an injury settlement.

Also, we lost Moreno who was a stud pass blocker and Dreessen also happens to be a stud pass blocker when healthy. And we just lost Decker and are replacing him with an unknown and Tamme happens to be quite familiar with Manning and vice versa.

Two people that fit to possible holes so I think Fox and Elway will take a long look before they part ways with either of those two.

Comment

Why would he? He will want more because he is younger/yet to be paid big and doesn't have the character issues that Marshall has.

Comment

Another gem! Excellent thread. A+ quality, would read again.

Comment

Well, if we gave DT the 3 yr extension starting in 2015 he would make roughly 36 Million over the next 4 years and be a free agent again at the age of 31 when the cap will probably be 30% higher then it is today. I seriously think DT would give the idea some thought. With the cap increasing like it is, we would be lucky to get him for 14M annually a year from now after another excellent season in his prime. If he gets hurt, or Manning gets hurt or the team struggles with the schedule.. who knows. I think if im Elway im atleast making the offer. MArshall caught 218 balls and 23 TDS the last 2 seasons.
                Last edited by ATL-Eric; 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post

Also, we lost Moreno who was a stud pass blocker and Dreessen also happens to be a stud pass blocker when healthy. And we just lost Decker and are replacing him with an unknown and Tamme happens to be quite familiar with Manning and vice versa.
                  The problem with this argument is that these guys dont see the damn field and make 7 Million between them.

Comment

Well, if we gave DT the 3 yr extension starting in 2015 he would make roughly 36 Million over the next 4 years and be a free agent again at the age of 31 when the cap will probably be 30% higher then it is today. I seriously think DT would give the idea some thought. With the cap increasing like it is, we would be lucky to get him for 14M annually a year from now after another excellent season in his prime. If he gets hurt, or Manning gets hurt or the team struggles with the schedule.. who knows. I think if im Elway im atleast making the offer. MArshall caught 218 balls and 23 TDS the last 2 seasons.
                    You misunderstand what I was saying. It's not that I don't think DT would consider it. We shouldn't be thinking less than 5 years.
                    We should be signing DT for as long as possible, if we sign him to a 3 year deal we will be giving him a big ass raise after the 2nd season to extend him again.
                    Not that he wouldn't likely get a restructured deal like more wide outs mid way through a long term deal but we would have zero leverage in a 3 year deal scenario.

Comment

On the one hand it would set him up for another big money contract before he reaches the end of his career. But the NFL is not a guaranteed lengthy career. It is in a players best interest to get as much as possible as soon as they can. DT would be making a serious mistake to take a deal like that.

We are probably looking at him getting 5 years at 45million with probably half of that guaranteed.

Comment

The problem with this argument is that these guys dont see the damn field and make 7 Million between them.
                        Dreessen didn't see the field because Moreno held on to the starting spot and he was hurt all the time but now Moreno is gone and a healthy Dreessen is better than a healthy Virgil Green. Tamme did see the field when Welker went down and if Decker is one more concussion away from sitting out for awhile, the decision to cut Tamme isn't so cut and dry.

Comment

You misunderstand what I was saying. It's not that I don't think DT would consider it. We shouldn't be thinking less than 5 years.
                          We should be signing DT for as long as possible, if we sign him to a 3 year deal we will be giving him a big ass raise after the 2nd season to extend him again.
                          Not that he wouldn't likely get a restructured deal like more wide outs mid way through a long term deal but we would have zero leverage in a 3 year deal scenario.
                          DT has a 5.03 Million cap hit this season so the jump from 5 to 10M is not insane. I think it works for both sides. And dont forget we only have one franchise tag to hand out next season and Von, JT and Pot Roast will all be looking to get paid.

As far as DT making a mistake, he should ask himself how the situation might be different had Manning gone to SF and he had Tannehill or Weeden as his QB right now. I think the Moreno deal shows that the league wont be over paying for Manning toys. Decker signed basically a 2yr/15 Million deal.
                          Last edited by ATL-Eric; 05-19-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

DT has a 5.03 Million cap hit this season so the jump from 5 to 10M is not insane. I think it works for both sides. And dont forget we only have one franchise tag to hand out next season and Von, JT and Pot Roast will all be looking to get paid.

As far as DT making a mistake, he should ask himself how the situation might be different had Manning gone to SF and he had Tannehill or Weeden as his QB right now. I think the Moreno deal shows that the league wont be over paying for Manning toys. Decker signed basically a 2yr/15 Million deal.
                            Your whole premise is flawed because the cap isnt that simple.

Also, DT will want more than a 3 yr - 30 year deal

Comment

He must have found out Welker can't be cut. Next on the list....

Comment

Working...
                              X