Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miles Austin, Earl Bennett join Cleveland Browns

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...cebook_atl_atl

The Cleveland Browns have finally addressed their thinning receiving corps.

The team announced Thursday that it added free-agent pass-catchers Miles Austin and Earl Bennett.

The news comes one day after Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he would "absolutely" welcome Austin back in Dallas. With Austin, talent has never been a question. He's been a very productive receiver if and when he's healthy -- and that's always been a big if.

Austin is just 29, but an assortment of lingering ailments have kept him off the field and contributed greatly to his departure from the Cowboys in March. Bennett, who has just 185 career catches in six seasons with the Bears, was released by the team this offseason after refusing to take a pay cut.

Still, the Browns have to take a chance. They just drafted Johnny Manziel and boast one of the best receivers in the league, but Josh Gordon is facing a potential suspension. The wide receiver group after Gordon leaves much to be desired: the unproven Andrew Hawkins, Nate Burleson, who once again is on the mend with a broken arm, and the pedestrian Greg Little.

Austin, a two-time Pro Bowl wideout, adds size, a sure pair of hands and dynamic route-running to the corps. Bennett has experience in the slot. Manziel and Co. will have to hope at least one of the new veteran additions pans out.

The "Around The League Podcast" predicts which rookie quarterbacks will start first and what veterans are in trouble after the draft.

Meh. Not impressed

Comment

Smiles Austin, AKA ET's and Sam Cassel's love child. My cowboys buddies used to LOVE this guy. He fell off the map, and quickly.

Comment

Miles got paid and then Miles stopped caring.

The Browns will still have offensive issues. Doesn't matter who the QB is.

Comment

Desperate

Comment

I actually like what the new Browns front office is doing. It might smell a tad of desperation but they know about the losing and making amends with the fans. I am not sure how Manziel will work out but at least they are giving him some weapons, not top notch but at least something for whoever starts at QB.

Comment

I think Farmer is going to be really good as a GM. Once he gets the FO revamped he will right the Browns ship.
              But a lot of that heavy lifting is likely to be done in next years draft.

Comment

So who will be their new head coach next year?

Comment

Farmer, yeah, the number 3 guy at KC year after year while they were bottom feeders...

Comment

Losing Gordon is something the Brown cant recover from this yr. They just lost the mot dominant WR in the league. This guy was double and triple teamed with crappy qbs playing and still threw down.

manziel had a chance with Gordon. With Gordon you already have 1500 passing yrds. You just need to get the TE going and find one more target.

Now they are screwed. The difference between Miles Austin and Gordon is so far it can't be measured.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                      Losing Gordon is something the Brown cant recover from this yr. They just lost the mot dominant WR in the league. This guy was double and triple teamed with crappy qbs playing and still threw down.

manziel had a chance with Gordon. With Gordon you already have 1500 passing yrds. You just need to get the TE going and find one more target.

Now they are screwed. The difference between Miles Austin and Gordon is so far it can't be measured.
                      You lost me here...

Comment

NM

Comment

Originally posted by Lestat View Post
                          Miles got paid and then Miles stopped caring.
                          Wasn't it more about injuries with him?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronc0guy View Post
                            Smiles Austin, AKA ET's and Sam Cassel's love child. My cowboys buddies used to LOVE this guy. He fell off the map, and quickly.
                            Miles went down the tubes as quick as his Kardasian relationship. Really in the 1 good year he had he just had a couple monster games and the rest were pedestrian.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsanger View Post
                              You lost me here...
                              I have never seen the type of game Gordon displayed last year except from Megatron. Last yr Gordon was better then him.

Literally triple teamed and didn't matter what QB they threw out he dominated.

I think most fans who have watched football for awhile were in awe of his playmaking ability. To do that on a team that had no QB, couldn't run the ball, was very impressive. If your lost it's ony because you don't know.

Comment

Working...
                              X