Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason superlatives

• Best use of win-now mentality

Denver goes all in and every other poker analogy that can be made: So this is what happens when you lose the Super Bowl by 35 points. You decide to go a little crazy with the defensive upgrades. DeMarcus Ware gets added to the defensive line. Cornerback Aqib Talib and safety T.J. Ward are new pieces for the secondary, as is first-round cornerback Bradley Roby. That'll work.

It had better. Because as everyone knows ... altogether now ... the clock is ticking on the Peyton Manning era in Denver. Or is his window closing? I forget. Either way, there's no time to waste. That's why even the Broncos' vaunted passing game was supplemented, with the departed Eric Decker being offset by the additions of ex-Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders and second-round pick Cody Latimer. This is a Manning-led team hoping the third time is the charm in its quest for a ring, and Super Bowl victory or bust is undeniably the backdrop this season in Denver.
    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz31oOx6JD2
    Last edited by TonyR; 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM.

Anyone else find the "all in" poker comparison tiresome? All in implies some kind of huge risk, which the Broncos havent done. They improved the team and have a squad good enough to compete. Why this is "all in" is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
      Anyone else find the "all in" poker comparison tiresome? All in implies some kind of huge risk, which the Broncos havent done. They improved the team and have a squad good enough to compete. Why this is "all in" is beyond me.
      Yes.

Furthermore, the Jaguars used it here last year....

Comment

...and most importantly have not set up a cap hell situation down the road.

If Oz works out the Broncos will be a contender for years to come as long as they have Elway calling the shots.

Comment

Problem is, that schedule is so unbelievably difficult, and the bye comes so damned early, I have a hard time believing the Broncos will survive the torture test intact.

I'm hoping Fox is smart enough to consider giving Manning, and for that matter, other key vets, a half off here and there, giving Osweiler and other bench depth an opportunity to prove they belong, or not.

Records are cool and everything, but I would like to see this team arrive in play-offs roughly resembling the roster that started the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Durango View Post
            Problem is, that schedule is so unbelievably difficult, and the bye comes so damned early, I have a hard time believing the Broncos will survive the torture test intact.

I'm hoping Fox is smart enough to consider giving Manning, and for that matter, other key vets, a half off here and there, giving Osweiler and other bench depth an opportunity to prove they belong, or not.

Records are cool and everything, but I would like to see this team arrive in play-offs roughly resembling the roster that started the season.
            My guess is Denver will aim to play how they did in the AFC playoffs. If this is done successfully, there will be no records. Just dominant wins.

Comment

My guess is Denver will aim to play how they did in the AFC playoffs. If this is done successfully, there will be no records. Just dominant wins.
              I like this.

Comment

Denvers lack of physicality last year had them searching for an out; fishing for every opportunity. Sure, they folded in the Superbowl. But with some luck and perhaps the cards falling the Broncos way, they'll be back. I doubt they flush the season down the toilet. The club upped the ante this offseason and thats why it suits people to say their all in. I agree that poker terms can be stupid, but give them a chance. Just calling a spade a spade. Dont be a donk about it.

BTW what are the pot odds for Von? 20%? 60%? 100%?!?!?!
                Last edited by NorCalBronco7; 05-16-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
                  Denvers lack of physicality last year had them searching for an out; fishing for every opportunity. Sure, they folded in the Superbowl. But with some luck and perhaps the cards falling the Broncos way, they'll be back. I doubt they flush the season down the toilet. The club upped the ante this offseason and thats why it suits people to say their all in. I agree that poker terms can be stupid, but give them a chance. Just calling a spade a spade. Dont be a donk about it.

I'm just saying "all in" assumes the broncos are putting something at risk. If they were ****ing their cap for the next 20 years in an attempt to win this year, that's going all in.

Comment

I'm just saying "all in" assumes the broncos are putting something at risk. If they were ****ing their cap for the next 20 years in an attempt to win this year, that's going all in.
                    I agree. They act like it's the desperate push, the last hand before walking out on the game. Sure, Manning's days are numbered, but Elway isn't sacrificing the future for the present, people keep acting like he is.

Comment

I'm sure most casual Broncos fans - including the authors of these "all in" articles, are assuming that we must have screwed our future cap-wise, in order to close all the deals we closed in March.

It's not their fault.

They're just lazy.

And ignern't.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post

Excellent.

Comment

We beat a decimated New England team that wasn't that great to begin with, and a San Diego team that really wasn't anything all that special, and both at home. I think the top teams in the NFC, most notably Seattle and San Fran, were clearly better. So I think the Broncos need to be better than they were in the AFC playoffs. And hopefully with the guys they're getting back from injuries and the new guys they brought in they can be.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                            We beat a decimated New England team that wasn't that great to begin with, and a San Diego team that really wasn't anything all that special, and both at home. I think the top teams in the NFC, most notably Seattle and San Fran, were clearly better. So I think the Broncos need to be better than they were in the AFC playoffs. And hopefully with the guys they're getting back from injuries and the new guys they brought in they can be.
                            This is completely besides the point. I'm talking about the style and pace. They played more of a ball control style offense, keeping opposing offenses off the field and the D fresh. NE never had a shot, and SD only did cuz the D started ****ting the bed at the end. Did the Broncos even punt in those games? Once maybe?

If they continue this style, they just won't rack up the points they did this past season simply because they will probably run less plays. Or that style of play could have just been coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                              We beat a decimated New England team that wasn't that great to begin with, and a San Diego team that really wasn't anything all that special, and both at home.
                              Because Den was fully healthy?

And SD gave Den the most trouble of all the AFC playoff teams, lowest PPG totals in both regular season games.

Last edited by LikeABoss5820; 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X