Lulz....CA High School conducts NFL style prom draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lulz....CA High School conducts NFL style prom draft

A Newport Beach high school where male students say they select prom dates in an NFL-style draft – ranking female students and selling first-round picks to those eager for a top selection – is being discouraged by administrators.

News of the “prom draft” prompted Kathy Scott, principal at Corona del Mar High School, to send an email to parents over the weekend saying that “it is not OK for any student to be objectified or judged in any way.”
    Corona del Mar High
    A view of Corona del Mar High School in Newport Beach (Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times)

In her email, Scott said she’d heard about an ongoing “prom draft” and that it appears there was a similar draft last year.

According to one student, junior and senior boys draw random numbers for the draft but can purchase more desirable draft picks.

This year, one junior paid $140 to get a high first-rank pick so he could select a specific girl, said the student, who is not being identified because of potential school disciplinary action.

“It’s awkward because he spent a large amount of money to go with someone he doesn’t talk to,” the student said. “And she finds it awkward that he chose her.”

The reaction among students on campus has been mixed, he said.

“A lot of the girls respect the draft and stick with those dates,” he said.

But the prom draft has also drawn complaints from female students, he said. Last year some junior girls were upset that junior boys were asking sophomore girls instead of them, he said.

For more, see:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...506-story.html

Sometimes the Sophomores are hotter and more grateful to be asked.

Comment

Maybe some of the guys with higher picks will trade down? A 6 pack for their first and a second? I feel there could be better value in the middle tier picks, considering their potential willingness to give HJ's or BJ's afterwards. Those top picks can be a total let down kiddos.

Comment

I'd trade down to accumulate more picks.

Or maybe trade a Junior year 2nd rounder for a Senior year 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
          I'd trade down to accumulate more picks.

Or maybe trade a Junior year 2nd rounder for a Senior year 1st.
          Or better yet, trade a Sophomore for 2 Seniors

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
            Or better yet, trade a Sophomore for 2 Seniors
            That sophomore would need to be a baaaaaaaad bitch!

Comment

I meant trade my 2st rounder in MY Junior year (let's say 2014) for a 1st rounder next year (2015/Senior year). But now I'm buzzed and a little confused. Need McShay's opinion on this one.

Comment

My buddy in college went to that high school lol

Comment

This is one draft were busts might be preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
                    My buddy in college went to that high school lol
                    How'd his pick turn out?

Comment

Originally posted by Missouribronc View Post
                      How'd his pick turn out?
                      My guess would be he fell in love with her workout, drafted her too early and then dumped her in favor of a higher pick after investing a lot of money in her.

Comment

Originally posted by Missouribronc View Post
                        How'd his pick turn out?
                        He was terrible with the ladies......I mean god awful. I imagine whoever he picked either held out or he settled for an undrafted free agent like his sister/cousin. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernistCaliforneeway7 View Post
                          He was terrible with the ladies......I mean god awful. I imagine whoever he picked either held out or he settled for an undrafted free agent like his sister/cousin. Sad.

Comment

So if this was Kaylore, would he have had multiple picks since he is a Mormon?

Comment

It's funny when we take the actions of high school kids and put it down on paper.

Comment

Working...
                              X