No announcement yet.

The ULTIMATE classic rock compilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't give a rats ass if some of you disagree with my views on this. I knew it would happen, that's how this place works. So now that you've came here and commented on your disagreements on the songs some of are discussing, you can feel free to visit all the other threads on the forum and leave this one, and let the rest of get to business discussing what I'm looking for. Thanks again to those helping contribute. To those that are not, get over yourselves. Not everybody shares the same opinions as you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco X View Post
      Totally confused by what the OP is looking for, so I'll just make a list of songs that probably wouldn't make the cut, on top of everything Zeppelin and Floyd...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8QghwNqlCRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NIldF-pGUCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/urGHap53sgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
      Thanks - that's another one I knew I had before my HD crash. Not Frankenstein, but Free Ride by Edgar Winter Group. Awesome.

Comment

So you consider Gary Wright classic rock but not Zeppelin? Oi.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronc0guy View Post
          The doors? Riders on the storm and light my fire have got to be on this list.
          I think he wanted to keep it a 70s list...

Comment

Originally posted by crush17 View Post
            And "Brown Eyed Girl" is rock??

C'mon man.
            I was thinking the same thing about Ventura Highway. Maybe it's all inclusive with "soft rock" or all of it is. Because, damn it, there is no Led Zeppelin!

Comment

That term "classic rock" -- I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Powderaddict View Post
                  Stand by, you'll be told what it means Mr.!

Comment

The Led Zeppelin thing is killing you guys isn't it. Suffice to say, I don't want it on this list because there are a few bands that get their OWN list, and they're one of them. Too many great songs to just pick a few and put them on my classic rock playlist and their sound is really quite different then most on my list as well. So bands like Floyd and Zep, they have their own damn list. So stop f'n pouting like I'm leaving such a great band out of the mix here. You have it quite backwards. I like them so much, I have a playlist already with about 24 songs I listen to on a regular basis.

Comment

Really hard to get to the meat of what you're looking for here - as pointed out earlier, Bay City Rollers are bubble gum pop rock and Blue Oyster Cult is clean and airy - too clean for the "dirty" sound of most of the rest of your list.

That's the only common theme I can spot: that warm, dirty, ragged sound of late '60's - early '70's rock.

The Who, Aerosmith, Led Zep, Floyd and the Stones all exactly nail that sound and that era - don't understand at all how you can exclude any of them. And "they deserve their own list, but it's not Classic Rock" is weak sauce.

That said, the obvious omission so far: Deep Purple = Smoke on the Water

Comment

Come on! Do you want to tell me that this isn't one of the greatest classic rock songs of all time? This band is in the rock n' roll hall of fame. And this song (choking up a little here) - This Song! - well, I don't have the words. Many might consider this song to be their own personal anthem - the song that defines their own lives. And while I feel more partial to one of the many great songs in the Air Supply portfolio, I would have a hard time arguing with this choice.

I picture myself walking down a hallway, through fog, and the people that have been influential in my life start a slow clap. And when that clap ascends into a crescendo, this very song starts what turns out to be the highlight reel of my life.

When the Broncos win their next Super Bowl, I like to think that this will be the song they'll be playing between the final gun, and the awarding of the Lombardi Trophy. But that's just me. I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me. That's just something that I enjoy.

Anyway, enough with the poetry. Just turn up the volume, and let the next four minutes and fifty-six seconds transport you to another place.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DgKLOk6Xk0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

most of these songs are overplayed

Comment

Originally posted by BroncsRule View Post
                            Really hard to get to the meat of what you're looking for here - as pointed out earlier, Bay City Rollers are bubble gum pop rock and Blue Oyster Cult is clean and airy - too clean for the "dirty" sound of most of the rest of your list.

That's the only common theme I can spot: that warm, dirty, ragged sound of late '60's - early '70's rock.

The Who, Aerosmith, Led Zep, Floyd and the Stones all exactly nail that sound and that era - don't understand at all how you can exclude any of them. And "they deserve their own list, but it's not Classic Rock" is weak sauce.

That said, the obvious omission so far: Deep Purple = Smoke on the Water
                            Well I know a few of the songs I have in there are a little slower, they are somewhat borderline of what I wanted. Obviously Dream Weaver was accidentally put in there from another list. I said in the OP, the song types I was after were similar to Magic Carpet Ride, Black Betty, Long Cool Woman. Stuff that is a little more up tempo but still has sorta of a grove to it. I didn't want to cross over into that next gen sound of Van Helen, Boston, Styx, Ozzy, etc. I also didn't want (I'll state this again) the Floyd, Zep and a few others because I already have huge play lists of just their own music alone. This is for a nice change of pace when I feel like listening to other stuff but still want it to be rock-n-roll. I don't mind a few on the slower side that are along these lines, such as Ventura Highway, Eye In The Sky, American Pie, etc. And FYI, I do have 1 Stones song in there you will notice.

Instead of people complaining about my tastes, they can just keep posting things similar to want I'm asking for. It's not really all that hard, I've given examples. There have already been several good suggestions I've added. Why those people get it and the other half don't confuses me.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosfanGuy View Post
                              most of these songs are overplayed
                              I don't listen to the radio so they're not overplayed for me. I like to build playlists and listen to stuff that way.

Comment

T. Rex - Bang a Gong
                                Golden Earring - Radar Love
                                Rockets - Oh Well
                                Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
                                Norman Greenbaum - Spirit in the Sky
                                Dave Edmunds - I Hear You Knockin'
                                Black Oak Arkansas - Jim Dandy
                                Molly Hatchet - Flirtin' With Disaster
                                Free - All Right Now
                                Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back in Town
                                Rick Derringer - Rock and Roll, Hootchie Koo