Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My contract with Verizon is up. Who should I go with and what phone should I get ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to worry about unlimited data until I started checking what I actually use. With wi-fi at home and work I almost never get over 1Gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
      I used to worry about unlimited data until I started checking what I actually use. With wi-fi at home and work I almost never get over 1Gig.
      The more wifi becomes available the less it will be a priority. I expect phones to just come standard with their own wifi hotspot soon.

Comment

I don't use that much data since I'm usually on Wi-fi, but there is a reason they want eveyone off of unlimited data. As technology advances and smart phones become even smarter, their data demands are going to get higher, much higher. When that happens, you are going to wish you had unlimited data.

My smart phone becomes more and more a part of my everyday life. I'm getting to the point were I'm almost using it as much as I use my computer.

Comment

I switched to WP 7.8 when Palm folded without ever trying IOS/Android....Gave Note 3 a try when that contract was up and hated it (Android). Traded it in for Nokia 1520 and love everything about it/ WP 8. It'll only get better when they release 8.1 / Cortana.

WP has all the apps I need and then some.

If you use Windows 8 on a tablet or laptop....It's a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
            The more wifi becomes available the less it will be a priority. I expect phones to just come standard with their own wifi hotspot soon.
            1. Wi-fi has a limited range, compared to cell towers.

2. Wi-fi isn't free everywhere.

3. Cell service will not allow this, because they will lose big $$$ if this happens. They will do anything they can to stop outside groups from putting up wi-fi.

Comment

Yep I olny average 1.8 gigs per month and I have a 4 gig plan. My wife is still unlimited and she uses less then me but it's just not worth the argument to get her to drop it.

Anyways if we switch its not an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
                Yep I olny average 1.8 gigs per month and I have a 4 gig plan. My wife is still unlimited and she uses less then me but it's just not worth the argument to get her to drop it.

Anyways if we switch its not an issue.
                Really, switch to T-mobile. Using less than you though? Reduce you plan. Getting capped? Increase your plan. No contract, no hassle (do it on their website).

Again, assuming the coverage is where you need/want it to be. If not, you're at the mercy of contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by HILife View Post
                  1. Wi-fi has a limited range, compared to cell towers.

2. Wi-fi isn't free everywhere.

3. Cell service will not allow this, because they will lose big $$$ if this happens. They will do anything they can to stop outside groups from putting up wi-fi.
                  Att tried to get my gf to change from unlimited to the mobile hot spot. Check where it says "a word about att unlimited data plans". We who are grandfathered in don't get this option, but this is a way they are trying to steer the unlimited data plans into going extinct.

http://techland.time.com/2014/02/04/...other-devices/

Comment

Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post
                    Really, switch to T-mobile. Using less than you though? Reduce you plan. Getting capped? Increase your plan. No contract, no hassle (do it on their website).

Again, assuming the coverage is where you need/want it to be. If not, you're at the mercy of contracts.
                    We go camping//travel all the time. Coverage is pretty important to us to I think it's going to be down to at&t or V. I have heard t-mobile is great in town but that's as far as it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post

I am waiting for the nexus 6 to come out then that's what I am doing. I have sprint at the moment, my contract is up in 2 months. I will go pre paid at Sprint until the 6 comes out. I might even wait a while longer. I have the Samsung 3S and it is plenty of phone for me. I am paying $80 now and the no contract is $60.

Comment

I've had Verizon for 10 years now. It's the best but you sure as hell do pay for it.

Comment

I am waiting for the nexus 6 to come out then that's what I am doing. I have sprint at the moment, my contract is up in 2 months. I will go pre paid at Sprint until the 6 comes out. I might even wait a while longer. I have the Samsung 3S and it is plenty of phone for me. I am paying $80 now and the no contract is $60.
                          Yep, I bought an S3 2 years ago, and am no longer paying for it. Was nice to just have my phone bill drop by $25/month. No need to upgrade the S3 for quite some time (thought might need to replace battery soon), so I will enjoy a much cheaper phone bill for some time to come.

Comment

We go camping//travel all the time. Coverage is pretty important to us to I think it's going to be down to at&t or V. I have heard t-mobile is great in town but that's as far as it goes.
                            You're missing the point of camping if you are worried about phone coverage

(just teasing, I grok)

Comment

My son got an LG G2 and raves about it ... we also use Verizon - I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and won't upgrade my phone for that reason. I'll pay retail on the phone in order to keep the unlimited data, especially since so many phones now offer "tethering," which will significantly increase my data usage.

Comment

I think it will be between Verizon and AT&T
                                AT&T is great if you live in Colorado and love droped calls and getting charged extra for going over your data without them telling you about it.

And if you work in Vail, and keep getting charged for roaming because there's no 4g or LTE along the I-70 corridor, so you get bumped to Edge and charged for "out of network" coverage.

I stream my music through Spotify, so that happens on almost a bi-monthly basis.

Also, I was waiting for a call once for an interview... I was waiting for the call in the Caribou Coffee downtown across from AT&T's rocky mountain headquarters. The time came.... no call. Another 15 minutes pass. Still no call. Looked down at my phone... no signal - right across the street from their rocky mountain corporate headquarters.
                                Last edited by Mogulseeker; 04-28-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X