Year and-a-half later, but still no marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year and-a-half later, but still no marijuana

Everybody's talking about how Washington State legalized recreational marijuana. Problem is, it's not legal, not yet anyway.

It's been 18 months since voters approved Initiative 502, but delays in Olympia mean buyers and sellers are still waiting for the green light to start operations. Contrast Washington and Colorado: Voters approved legalization in both states on the same day - November 6, 2012. In Colorado, retailers opened to brisk business January 1. In Washington however, the State Assembly continues to waste time wrangling over details. Opponents of legalization have slowed the process there, while at the same time passing several key laws that create barriers to sales: Individual counties will be allowed to enforce time, place and manner restrictions that are more strict than state rules, and private parties including contractors, realtors and banks will be legally permitted to "just say no" to pot businesses if they wish, without incurring civil liability. In some cities and counties, these restrictions operate as a de facto repeal of Initiative 502.

The Liquor Control Board is the agency tasked with implementing and controlling the new law, and just this month they finally started issuing the first licenses for producers and retailers. The Liquor Control Board was given new life with marijuana. In November 2011, Washington voters approved an end to the state's monopoly on liquor sales, allowing private retailers to sell alcohol for the first time. In June 2012, all 330 State-controlled liquor stores closed their doors, and not surprisingly, the Liquor Control Board nearly followed suit. But five months later, voters approved marijuana sales and the Board was given jurisdiction. Having this well-oiled bureaucracy in place with nothing to do until legalization came along should have sped up the process. Indeed, by all accounts, the Board has been prompt and efficient in churning out operational controls for whatever the Assembly has given them. But they won't be given a date for the first legal sale of recreational marijuana, not until at least August or September, and perhaps not until January, 2015. .

Soooo ... it's not 4:20 here after all. . . . . . .

Not "Everybody's" talking about it, Personally I could give a ****

And do not kid yourself for a minute, anyone could find pot, meth or Heroin in 2 minutes flat in Seattle

Comment

So you're telling me that government over-regulation can screw up private business? Who else is shocked, SHOCKED to find gambling going on in this establishment.

Comment

This is different than government interfering in businesses, this is government trying to stop something from happening that was voted on and approved. The same stuff IS going on here in Colorado. If you don't live in Denver or a couple of other places then you don't have a place to buy it. Most town's are trying to block it.

Keep patient OP, it will change, slowly but surely.

Originally posted by OBF1 View Post
        Not "Everybody's" talking about it, Personally I could give a ****
        And yet you still clicked on a marijuana thread and commented in it.

Comment

I can say this now that it's 'legal' in Colorado, and hopefully other states will follow suit.

I love - and always have loved - weed.

Comment

Weird part is, California has had basically legal marijuana for 10 years ...

California "Medical" Marijuana retailers are now permitted to have doctors (or whomever is permitted to Rx) right there inside their stores. My nephew says you walk in and it's basically a 3-step process:

1. Start at one end of the counter with the doctor, who shows you a card with 6 or 8 symptoms and asks if you have any of them. Then another card with more symptoms, then, depending on which ones you ID, says, "I believe you may have _(anxiety, stress, even writer's cramp)_, briefly describes it, and asks "Does that sound right?" You say yes, s/he writes out the Rx right there.
            2. Move 3 or 4 feet down the counter, present your Rx and select the quantity and strain (from a dozen or more strains) of marijuana or hash or edibles you want to buy
            3. Move the last few feet to the cash register and pay for your order

Out the door and legal. He says 15 - 30 minutes total, depending on how long the lines are.

And I don't think there is a limit on the number of dispensaries, Los Angeles alone has 900+ retailers (more pot shops than schools in LA). The SF Bay Area is home to just 80 or so total, but one of them is the 15,000 square foot "Wal-Mart of Weed" in Oakland.

To me, that's more legal than CO or WA, and California's been doing it for ten years. Funny, but I never noticed California NOT getting credit for something until now.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
              To me, that's more legal than CO or WA, and California's been doing it for ten years. Funny, but I never noticed California NOT getting credit for something until now.
              Colorado had a more or less identical system for years as well. It's been stupidly easy to get pot here since at least 2008.

Also you have to be a California resident to partake of medical marijuana in California. It's hard to imagine how you can be "more" legal than Colorado.

Comment

California "Medical" Marijuana retailers are now permitted to have doctors (or whomever is permitted to Rx) right there inside their stores. My nephew says you walk in and it's basically a 3-step process:

1. Start at one end of the counter with the doctor, who shows you a card with 6 or 8 symptoms and asks if you have any of them. Then another card with more symptoms, then, depending on which ones you ID, says, "I believe you may have _(anxiety, stress, even writer's cramp)_, briefly describes it, and asks "Does that sound right?" You say yes, s/he writes out the Rx right there.
                2. Move 3 or 4 feet down the counter, present your Rx and select the quantity and strain (from a dozen or more strains) of marijuana or hash or edibles you want to buy
                3. Move the last few feet to the cash register and pay for your order

Out the door and legal. He says 15 - 30 minutes total, depending on how long the lines are.

And I don't think there is a limit on the number of dispensaries, Los Angeles alone has 900+ retailers (more pot shops than schools in LA). The SF Bay Area is home to just 80 or so total, but one of them is the 15,000 square foot "Wal-Mart of Weed" in Oakland.

Funny.

I had an orthopedist who repaired my shattered humerus once. The guy kept giving me Dilaudid. A year later, and the pain is gone and the doc is like "you need more Dilaudid?" I'm like, "heck yeah."

Comment

Originally posted by Swedish Extrovert View Post
                  Funny.

I had an orthopedist who repaired my shattered humerus once. The guy kept giving me Dilaudid. A year later, and the pain is gone and the doc is like "you need more Dilaudid?" I'm like, "heck yeah."
                  That is the best drug I have ever been given. I'm actually hoping for another kidney stone (most excruciating pain ever) just to get more of that drug. So good.

Comment

Funny.

I had Dilaudid injected once intramuscularly after I had an operation. Went from worst pain ever to melting out of the bed euphoric high in about 30 seconds. It affects everyone differently for sure, but that was some wild shiat. I'm pretty sure I'd be one of those instant heroine addicts you hear about.

Comment

I actually was afraid of getting addicted. That's why I took one when the prescription called for two. And that's why I have a ton left over.

Seriously... you can see what my humerus looked like here. The pain was excruciating. It was literally like a jagged knife stabbing my bicept from the inside. The way Broncenstein describes it is correct... the doc injects me with Dilaudid, and I go from panic/shock/pain to a euphoric lala land.

Dilaudid really feels awesome and is an insanely good pain killer. It's an opioid, though, so it's not something you want to make a habit of.

Comment

Yeah weeds basically legal here because anyone can get a card and then grow, for the most part. I live in the most conservative county in Cali(I still think it hold that title), Placer county, and none of the cops give a damn if you have a pipe and some bud, as long as youre not underage and not doing it in public. Even then, they just take youre pipe and bud and tell you to go away.

Its seems like the cops dont care if you have bud in Washington, so whether its legal or not isnt the biggest issue for me, personally. Clubs are insanely overpriced, no matter what state you live in. Growing yourself or more realistically finding someone who grows and getting good deals on bud is the biggest deal.

Comment

Anybody taken time to wonder why Soros, who's funding most of these initiatives, would be all for people to get drugs easier? Because doing this helps people or easier to control those that can't think straight? With Soros involved, people better think about it.

Comment

My daughter recently moved up to Washington. The person they normally go to for weed went on vacation so they checked out Craig's list. Found someone selling it, called and it was delivered within 15 min. Weighed it in front of them to confirm the weight. It was short so they gave them 1/8 for free. She was astonished. May not be "legal" yet for whatever you are looking for but for those of us who live in other states that's freedom!

Dilaudids are one of the happiest pills on earth. I enjoy when given it but avoid it because it would probably become a lifestyle. And have had a kidney stone, several actually, and while super pain, labor still out does it in the pain department. Which makes epidurals the greatest pain relief ever.

Comment

I actually was afraid of getting addicted. That's why I took one when the prescription called for two. And that's why I have a ton left over.

Seriously... you can see what my humerus looked like here. The pain was excruciating. It was literally like a jagged knife stabbing my bicept from the inside. The way Broncenstein describes it is correct... the doc injects me with Dilaudid, and I go from panic/shock/pain to a euphoric lala land.

Dilaudid really feels awesome and is an insanely good pain killer. It's an opioid, though, so it's not something you want to make a habit of.
                              This is the jimmy jam right here....

Comment

Working...
                              X