Peyton's comments this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton's comments this morning

Just heard an interview with Peyton Manning at a Boys Scout breakfast this morning. His first interview with the Denver press since the Super Bowl. Nothing too earth shattering but here's what I remember he said:

He hasn't watched Super Bowl replay ("I don't watch replays of losses"). He didn't want to talk about the Super Bowl much.

Excited about new free agent acquisitions but at the same time will miss the players departing (mentioned Zane and Champ)

Had good workouts at Duke with the Bronco receivers and Julius Thomas, said it was good to connect with Sanders for the first time.

Didn't reach out to Ware before he signed, but has talked to him since. Eli told Peyton he's glad Ware is out of the NFC East. Peyton said Talib was always tough to play against.

Montee Ball had a great year last year, Knowshon was awesome but Montee will now have more responsibilities and he will answer that challenge. Has the work ethic to succeed. "I look forward to having a full offseason with Montee."

Vic Lombardi said Peyton Manning declined a one to one interview with Vic or anyone else. Instead he preferred a mass interview. Vic was disappointed because in a group setting can't ask the tougher questions he wanted.

SB48 was one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. At least in previous playoff losses he seemed to care. Did not this time.

Comment

Wouldn't you pick through the film on losses with fine toothed comb if you got raped that bad on National TV in the biggest sports even of the year? That must mean he doesn't watch network TV coverage replays, not actual NFL team gamefilm.

Honestly, the Broncos as a team should have to get together and suffer through that disaster we got to experience a few months ago.

The good news is, I am feelign back to normal on the football front, ready for 2014- 2015- and I like that our schedule is more challenging- battled tested.

Comment

Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
        Probably sick of Decker dropping his passes, anyway.
        Apparently, from what Titan reported, Peyton only mentioned Beadles and Champ as departing players he would miss. That's pretty telling, that he would omit talking about Decker...

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
          SB48 was one of the worst games I've ever seen him play. At least in previous playoff losses he seemed to care. Did not this time.
          Yeah, I'm certain he didn't care about winning a second SB and cementing his legacy. Makes sense.

Comment

I'd say it was pretty obvious that ALL the coaches and players didn't care about winning a SB (first OR second).
            I don't think it was not caring. Playing like complete garbage and coaching worse, yes. But not caring, I just can't swallow that.

Comment

I'm with Peyton on this; I'll never watch that SB again either.

Comment

Let me rephrase, he did not do what leaders do in big games. He looked timid, afraid and worse yet quiet. Why was Welker the only guy out there rallying the troops? Every other game you see Peyton yelling, animated and in his biggest losses, dejected at bad plays. I never saw that this time around. Dress it up however you want but players follow leaders. See Super Bowl 32. Manning was a shell of himself in Super Bowl 48 and it's disappointing that the fans had to sit through that and the team refuses to acknowledged it happened or hurt by re watching it. The only one who appears to have true fire in his belly is Elway.
                Last edited by bpc; 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

These are all functions of not caring:

- Being unprepared

- Playing flat

- Partying all week

- Not even coming CLOSE to the opponents level of intensity

Pretty ****ing cut and dry to me.
                  I think we're just arguing semantics here. They were completely unprepared and caught off guard, which is unacceptable, and I remain furious with all of them for it. I'm just saying that saying that PFM didn't care is questioning his integrity, and I don't really think that's fair. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by bpc View Post
                    Let me rephrase, he did not do what leaders do in big games. He looked timid, afraid and worse yet quiet. Why was Welker the only guy out there rallying the troops? Every other game you Peyton yelling, animated and in his biggest losses, dejected at bad plays. I never saw that this time around. Dress it up however you want but players follow leaders. See Super Bowl 32. Manning was a shell of himself in Super Bowl 48 and it's disappointing that the fans had to sit through that and the team refuses to acknowledged it happened or hurt by re watching it. The only one who appears to have true fire in his belly is Elway.
                    This I 100% agree with. Like I said to Rev, I think I'm just arguing semantics.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
                      Apparently, from what Titan reported, Peyton only mentioned Beadles and Champ as departing players he would miss. That's pretty telling, that he would omit talking about Decker...
                      He said "Beadles, Champ, and others" as I remember, and then mentioned Knowshon later.

The 104.3 morning crew commented that Peyton seemed less willing to discuss the Super Bowl as he was the previous year in talking about the Baltimore playoff loss (declining interview requests except for a quick mass interview session this morning setup on short notice)

Comment

The days the entire team should be forced to watch that game:

First day of OTAs, first day of mini-camp, first day of training camp, last day of training camp and (should we be lucky enough to get back there) the first day of the two weeks prior to the Superbowl.

They need that **** to be like Clockwork Orange.

Comment

Meh, I think Peyton was fine, the superbowl wasn't his problem. You know when you have a 37 year old quarterback with no mobility that you have to protect him and give him time if you want to succeed. The o-line **** the bed from the very first snap, and was giving up pressure the whole game. Peyton getting rattled wasn't his fault. It's well known that pressuring peyton (or any qb for that matter) is the way to beat him.

Any qb would have been rattled and made poor throws in that situation, but he actually made good throws for the most part, when he was given time. I think the case could be made for the defense (other than trevathan and knighton, who played well) having checked out during the two week bye. Seemed like it was mostly the DBs who just got toasted.

I think more than "not wanting to win," which is obviously bologna, the team lacked leadership to pick them back up when they got knocked down. It's pretty clear that Peyton isn't much of a leader when everything is going wrong...he kind of sulks on the sideline with his helmet on and chinstrap covering his face. Same with champ in that game, who was busy talking with Carter about who the MVP would be long before the game was over. The coaching staff is obviously hugely responsible as well. The team needs more guys like Welker, who took it personally and was pissed off during the game, and tried to get guys fired up. They had way too many guys that were weak minded and willing to accept their fate.

Comment

These are all functions of not caring:
                            co-signed

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
                              The days the entire team should be forced to watch that game:

First day of OTAs, first day of mini-camp, first day of training camp, last day of training camp and (should we be lucky enough to get back there) the first day of the two weeks prior to the Superbowl.

They need that **** to be like Clockwork Orange.
                              Agreed, they'd be screaming- I'd even volunteer to eye dropper the fake tears...

Comment

Working...
                              X