Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the final four be best of 3 series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the final four be best of 3 series?

Obviously one of the best things about March Madness is that anything can happen. Each year it's a great story to watch a new Cinderella team take down top seeds. But one thing leaves me a little empty each season. I hardly ever feel like the best team won. Take the new champions. Uconn was pretty much an above average team all year long. I just wonder if they would have won it all in the best of a 3 game series. I think basketball is definitely a sport in which you can have 3 games in the final four because it's not a super physical sport like football. And you hate to see a few bad calls really turn a game. I think in a best of 3 series, the best team would eventually win it all. There's no way you could do this for all of March Madness and nor would you want to. But I think for the Final Four, it makes sense to me.

Thoughts?
    Yes
    8.70%
    No
    91.30%
    Maybe
    0.00%

I'd be open to the idea. There's no denying Uconn had a great run, but there's no way they are the best team in the nation. Lost to SMU twice, got completely drilled by Louisville 3 times, and they were VERY fortunate to get by St Joseph's in OT in the first round of the tourney. After that, what they did was very impressive, beating Villanova, Iowa st, Michigan st, Florida and Kentucky. They went on an incredible run but to me, probably not even a top 10 team in the country. Kentucky or Florida either one beats them in a 3 game series, and so do Mich st and Iowa st most likely. Overall, it was a great tournament this year, had me on the edge of my seat. But like you, I feel like the best team did not win. Maybe a 3 game set in the final could change this is in the future, though it will never happen.

Comment

No.

Comment

That's what makes March Madness fun. That Cinderella team that came out of nowhere, that barely even made the cut to participate making it deep in the tournament is great. If a best of 3 happens then you lose that great aspect of the game. It is like the Miracle on Ice. That game gets played 10 times and most likely Russia wins 9 of them, but that 1 game is what makes a great experience.

In sports it rarely ever is the best team that takes wins it all. It is always the team that got hot at the right time. Or lucked their way into the championship game. That's the great thing about sports, anything can happen. It makes no sense to alter the format.

Comment

No, I'd have to ignore 2/3 games instead of just 1....

Comment

These kids are students first. I think that would drag on to long. As a fan I would be open to it but I think it would send the wrong message from the ncaa.

Comment

nah ...they need to be in class. And this Tourney winner isn't always the beat team on the season.

Comment

if you do that then every game in the tournament should be a best of 3 series. The big upsets usually happen in the first couple of rounds so if you want to really be fair, and give the best teams a shot, then a three game series should happen in the first few rounds so as to weed out the "hot but not really good teams." You can't wait until the final game to say "oh yah, let's do a 3 game series to insure the best team wins even though the best teams aren't even playing in the final game." Kentucky wasn't that great of a team either...

Comment

The point of the tournament is to get to that one final game.

No.

Comment

Great games yes that would be fun. Mismatches would blow in that scenerio.

Comment

Absolutely not. If you want the best of the best, trim the tournament field. Make it that only conference and/or conference tournament champions make it to the Big Dance, like they do with the non-power conferences. If you wanted to extend it to conference runner-ups, I suppose you could do that. That's IT, though. This is what we get, when we allow teams in that failed in their conference goals...

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
                        nah ...they need to be in class. n.

Comment

The best team of ANY sport doesn't necessarily win the tournament, every year, whether it be baseball playoffs, basketball playoffs, football playoffs, hockey playoffs, whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Crushaholic View Post
                            The best team of ANY sport doesn't necessarily win the tournament, every year, whether it be baseball playoffs, basketball playoffs, football playoffs, hockey playoffs, whatever...
                            I would say in the NBA it is generally the best team. 7 game series demands this most the time.

and NO you dont change the NCAA Tourney one iota.

Comment

up to 9 games every other nite? Pass. it is great the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X