UConn’s Napier goes hungry at night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StugotsIII View Post
    These players are so full of ****. They are all paid under the table. ALL OF THEM ARE.

AND...

Every major college athletics program has not only free food provided to student athletes but nutritionists as well. So very silly.
    Pretty much.

And even with your daily meal tickets you can take extra food back to your dorm. But, who wants to do that? They want to order pizza, wings, etc at two in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by maven View Post
      Pretty much.

And even with your daily meal tickets you can take extra food back to your dorm. But, who wants to do that? They want to order pizza, wings, etc at two in the morning.
      Or be like any other of their peers in the dorm. Yes they get food, but sometime you want to able to take a girl out on date off campus or go grab a beer with you friends. We all know that some of our best times in college were things that happened off campus with friends.

Comment

Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
        We all know that some of our best times in college were things that happened off campus with friends.
        It's not the schools responsibility to pay or that. You want some pizza at night? Go get a job at the local Pizza Hut or Dominos etc.

Comment

As someone who took several years to pay off my student loans once I got out of school, I have to say, "Tough chit!"

Napier's not too bright if he can't think of taking some "carry out" from the dining hall, and his mom or girlfriend can't give him LITERALLY a few bucks every now and then to buy ramen and Kool Aid?

I don't know what UConn is like, but at NC State, the athletic dining hall had WAY better food than the regular student dining halls. I got a chance to eat at Case Athletic Center ONCE in four years when I was in school, and you would not believe the food.

And these guys aren't hurting for anything off campus either. Any of the recognizable ones all get hooked up at the bars and restaurants. Probably even more so in a small college town like Storrs.

Comment

Or be like any other of their peers in the dorm. Yes they get food, but sometime you want to able to take a girl out on date off campus or go grab a beer with you friends. We all know that some of our best times in college were things that happened off campus with friends.
            You are right. I forgot when I was doing those things I was using my University's credit card.

Comment

It's important to note that quite a few athletes also qualify for income based Pell Grants which can be as much as $5000 per semester. Certainly, enough to purchase plenty of $4 beers and pizza. Also, almost all student athletes could take out small subsidized low interest student loans to cover incidentals, like almost every college student is forced to in this day and age.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
                It's not the schools responsibility to pay or that.
                Why not? These schools and the NCAA are making Millions from marketing these kids and selling their names.

You want some pizza at night? Go get a job at the local Pizza Hut or Dominos etc.
                I'm doubting you have any experience with the demands on the schedules of a DI student-athlete. "Get a Job" is a rather blind statement.

Comment

Originally posted by razorwire77 View Post
                  Many schools have some sort of an on-campus late-night corner store and the students receive credit on their swipeable student ID to purchase items from that store. That being said, I agree that a per diem is probably a good idea, especially for those kids who live off of campus.
                  This.

I had a flex account on my ID... spent most of it on coffee and burgers and beer at the PUB.

Most athletes get a "meal swipe" - just like you said, gets you access to the campus buffet three times a day.

It's good food, too. At DU there are several places that would work - we had a campus pub with burgers, fries, chicken, fish, even like pancakes and bacon for breakfast... the meal hall in my dorm (Nagel hall) had an Il Vicino pizza, Salsa Rico (a Chipotle/Qdoba clone), a Starbucks, a really good rotesserie chicken place, as well as a la carte items (yogurt, sushi, naked juice, kombucha, egg salad sandwiches, etc.) Nagel limited the amount of food you could get on one swipe, though. But across the street was Nelson hall, which had an all-you-can eat Sodexo buffet. We also had a Seattles Best, several Starbucks, a DazBog on campus, as well as Jazzman's (like a Panera). Our flex account was also good at Mustards Last Stand (hotdogs), South Philly (cheesteaks), Greeks Gone Wild (greek food), the local Conoco, and Blackjack (pizza).

Our athletes also got proforms - that is, they paid next to nothing for high-end athletic gear. My roomates were on the basketball team, and we had a seemingly unlimited supply of free gatorade. And going out with them at night was fun because we never paid for drinks... huge perk, considering the day I got initiated into Lambda, my big brother and I ran up like a $160 bar tab.

So he must be eating a ton if he's going to bed hungry.
                  Last edited by Mogulseeker; 04-08-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

It's not the schools responsibility to pay or that. You want some pizza at night? Go get a job at the local Pizza Hut or Dominos etc.
                    That's the problem they can't, because of study/training schedules or NCAA rules. If they able to work job over the summer or break then this might not be a problem but because of past issues with players getting paid big time for doing nothing the NCAA has prevented them from doing that.

Comment

That's the problem they can't, because of study/training schedules or NCAA rules. If they able to work job over the summer or break then this might not be a problem but because of past issues with players getting paid big time for doing nothing the NCAA has prevented them from doing that.
                      The problem is, they and everyone else want to make excuses as to why they can't.

Comment

I saw the game last night and he ain't starvin'.

Comment

He is lying...spending his wad on stuff that shouldn't be purchased. Probably expensive tatts.

Funny thing is most athletes think their recruiting trip is gonna be the norm...

Comment

The casual racism and stupidity in this thread is infuriating.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotwheelz View Post
                              The casual racism and stupidity in this thread is infuriating.
                              Casual racism? If people want to have an honest debate about players getting paid or possibly unionizing, I'm all for it. Honestly, when schools like Texas are turning down traditional rivalry games like A&M and using language like "expanding the global Longhorn brand," I think the student athletes as representatives of the academic institution becomes even more laughable and we should start looking at paying the players a stipend or develop a reasonable way to compensate them financially. That being said, to pretend like kids at major schools are laying in their dorms starving and lacking for basic needs is both insulting and not helping the argument imo.

Comment

The problem is, they and everyone else want to make excuses as to why they can't.
                                You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Working...
                                X