Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UConn’s Napier goes hungry at night

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UConn’s Napier goes hungry at night

    Shabazz Napier, point guard for The University of Connecticut's men's basketball team, recently told reporters he understands why athletes at Northwestern need a union, as he sometimes has to go to bed "starving" because he cannot afford food.

    Napier, who is headed into the NCAA Championship match-up against the University of Kentucky tonight, told reporters that it's hard for him to see his jersey getting sold while he struggles to eat.

    "To some credit, you feel like you want something in return… Like I said, there are hungry nights that I go to bed and I am starving. So something can change, something should change. But if it doesn't, at the end of the day, we've been doing this for so long, so ...," he said.

    "We as student athletes get utilized for what we do so well. We are definitely best to get a scholarship to our universities, but at the end of the day, that doesn't cover everything. We do have hungry nights that we don't have enough money to get food and sometimes money is needed," the senior told reporters. "I think, you know, Northwestern has an idea, and we'll see where it goes."


    http://ctmirror.org/uconns-napier-on...es-unionizing/

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fFdRk2DYolM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  • #2
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NQc2O7A5zo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


    Sort of reminds me of Auschwitz.

    Comment


    • #3
      I bet the kids eating off the Michelle Obama school lunch menu would gladly give him their lunch.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by razorwire77 View Post
        <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NQc2O7A5zo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


        Sort of reminds me of Auschwitz.
        you dick! Kentucky is a long drive from CT.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bronco militia View Post
          you dick! Kentucky is a long drive from CT.


          I've personally known 6 or 7 D1 football players at a school that doesn't have nearly the resources of UConn and those kids could literally eat for free at any one of a dozen local buffets and at the school cafeteria which was open until 8 p.m. They also got financial aid credit to buy snacks at an on-campus mini-mart that was open until 11 p.m. My wife tutored basketball players at the same school years later and they had practically limitless options of places to eat.

          The kid is flat out lying and weakening the argument for unionization. "I'm literally starving." GTFO.

          Comment


          • #6
            So I make good money and go to bed hungry.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by razorwire77 View Post


              I've personally known 6 or 7 D1 football players at a school that doesn't have nearly the resources of UConn and those kids could literally eat for free at any one of a dozen local buffets and at the school cafeteria which was open until 8 p.m. They also got financial aid credit to buy snacks at an on-campus mini-mart that was open until 11 p.m. My wife tutored basketball players at the same school years later and they had practically limitless options of places to eat.

              The kid is flat out lying and weakening the argument for unionization. "I'm literally starving." GTFO.
              this post is racist!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                All the athletes can eat from the trainer's table....but everyone knows older teenagers and early twenty-something's get hungry late late at night. When all their friends have money to hit the local late-night eatery, they're stuck begging. Are they starving? No. Are the hungry and need some kind of petty cash or per diem to get a bite to eat, gas money or whatever? I believe so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's such bull****. School pays for your food. Sports pays for training table as well.

                  Pay these kids more money and watch who they are loaded up with PS4, Xbox multiple games, new kicks, and very little studies. I feel bad for the idiots that eat this crap up that poor athletes throw out there like this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                    All the athletes can eat from the trainer's table....but everyone knows older teenagers and early twenty-something's get hungry late late at night. When all their friends have money to hit the local late-night eatery, they're stuck begging. Are they starving? No. Are the hungry and need some kind of petty cash or per diem to get a bite to eat, gas money or whatever? I believe so.

                    Thank God momma Napier can afford to go to all his games

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Maybe part of the scholarship should be a mission trip to a third world country for a few days to see what "going hungry" looks like.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                        All the athletes can eat from the trainer's table....but everyone knows older teenagers and early twenty-something's get hungry late late at night. When all their friends have money to hit the local late-night eatery, they're stuck begging. Are they starving? No. Are the hungry and need some kind of petty cash or per diem to get a bite to eat, gas money or whatever? I believe so.
                        Many schools have some sort of an on-campus late-night corner store and the students receive credit on their swipeable student ID to purchase items from that store. That being said, I agree that a per diem is probably a good idea, especially for those kids who live off of campus.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          He didn't like the options at his lunch buffet? .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by razorwire77 View Post
                            Many schools have some sort of an on-campus late-night corner store and the students receive credit on their swipeable student ID to purchase items from that store. That being said, I agree that a per diem is probably a good idea, especially for those kids who live off of campus.
                            This. First year I was at school, our meal tickets got us three meals a day from a buffet. After that, they started allocating a certain amount of bucks of what you paid for your ticket towards other places on campus that served food or even at the 24 hour food markets. Don't see what the issue with this guy is.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              He may go to sleep craving a few tacos from the 24/7 jack in the box down the street, but that's about it. I had several friends who played football at Texas Tech and those guys didn't want for anything. Didn't get carded to get into bars, didn't have to pay for food at some places they were recognized. Not to mention they had food available after practices whenever they wanted. Not saying it's like that at every university, but I doubt this kid is going to bed "hungry" at night.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X