• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 3 Pink Floyd Albums

Been on a real Pink Floyd kick lately, just can't get enough. My top 3:
    1. Dark Side of the Moon
    2. Wish You Were Here
    3. Animals

While I love "The Wall" it's a little too Roger Waters centric. I think the 3 listed are Floyd at their best, most cooperative state. Gilmore and Waters are both brilliant, and when they worked together Floyd was amazing. Definitely better as a team than as individuals. Atom Heart Mother rates up really high, but is just a bit too early, they were still refining themselves. The Final Cut, well, if I wanted to listen to "The Wall" I would listen to "The Wall."

I wish these guys would do one last hurrah album, despite Richard Wright being dead. I know it won't happen, but it would be epic.

1: Animals
    2: Meddle
    3: Wish You Were Here

Comment

Can't get enough of The Wall, the theme of discontent is so tangible through the music and lyrics.

Comment

I love everything before Waters and Wright left, including the Syd Barrett era the early psychadelic stuff. It's hard to go against DSOTM at #1. I'll go with Meddle at #2 on the basis of Echoes alone. If DSOTM is the best album, Echoes is the best song. It's hard to go top 3 so I'll go top 4... WYWH then Animals. The Wall would be 5.

Some Echoes goodness:
        <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/31463588" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/31463588">Crystal Voyager: Echoes</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user8347113">Jacob H</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

And something you should only watch if you've seen "2001":
        <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/28495035" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/28495035">2001 Echoes</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user8347113">Jacob H</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Comment

Am i the only one that likes Momentary Lapse of Reason?

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
            "Learning to Fly" turned me onto Pink Floyd. Momentary Lapse of Reason was the first CD I bought. That album was the beginning of my Pink Floyd collection. I still like that entire album, but there are so many good ones.

Comment

Sadly FM Radio has totally killed my love of Pink Floyd, You can't turn on classic rock without hearing it.

I love Wish you were here, The Wall, and Dark Side but only on occasion now.

Welcome to the Machine is such an awesome song and it gets played to death.

Comment

Im a little late too. I saw this tour. Still partial to The Wall though

Comment

Originally posted by Cmac821 View Post
                  Can't get enough of The Wall, the theme of discontent is so tangible through the music and lyrics.
                  Yeah, The Wall is great. But I think you start to see the split in collaboration on that one and it loses a bit of what made Floyd great. A little too heavy on the words and a little less reliant on the music IMO.

Comment

I like it, but it hasn't been as timeless as some of their other work. For Floyd to be great I really thought the group needed both Water's and Gilmore. They lost an edge and a great lyricist when Waters left.

Comment

Originally posted by The Impaler View Post
                      Yeah, The Wall is great. But I think you start to see the split in collaboration on that one and it loses a bit of what made Floyd great. A little too heavy on the words and a little less reliant on the music IMO.
                      Their history and the events that made them great and eventually split them is a great story. Check out the stuff on Syd Barrett.

Comment

Originally posted by Enter The Dragon View Post
                        Their history and the events that made them great and eventually split them is a great story. Check out the stuff on Syd Barrett.
                        Very true. Syd was the inspiration for a lot of their greatest stuff for sure.

Comment

1. The Wall
                          2. Dark Side of the Moon
                          3. Animals

Comment

Originally posted by The Impaler View Post
                            Been on a real Pink Floyd kick lately, just can't get enough. My top 3:
                            1. Dark Side of the Moon
                            2. Wish You Were Here
                            3. Animals

While I love "The Wall" it's a little too Roger Waters centric. I think the 3 listed are Floyd at their best, most cooperative state. Gilmore and Waters are both brilliant, and when they worked together Floyd was amazing. Definitely better as a team than as individuals. Atom Heart Mother rates up really high, but is just a bit too early, they were still refining themselves. The Final Cut, well, if I wanted to listen to "The Wall" I would listen to "The Wall."

I wish these guys would do one last hurrah album, despite Richard Wright being dead. I know it won't happen, but it would be epic.
                            Those are my 3 favorites aside from The Wall. I happen to be a Roger Waters guy, so The Wall is the one album with a heavy dose of both his musical influence and his vocals.

My favorite song is Comfortably Numb, which beautifully combines both of them singing.

Comment

1. Darkside of the Moon
                              2. Momentary Lapse of Reason
                              3. Wish You Were Here

I saw Pink Floyd at Mile High in 1994 when I was 16. Lasers bouncing of the clouds above well into the night. Pink Floyd was my favorite growing up, loved those guys the best.

Love Comfortably Numb too.

Comment

Working...
                              X