Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Some mild spoilers. Overall, a decent film. Better than Ironman 3 by a landslide, and probably about as good as Thor: The Dark World.

I like that the film takes its time a little in the first act. You get to see Steve just inhabiting his world a little bit and those parts are really strong. You need these moments because once the action kicks into gear, there is no time to slow down or really catch your breath for the rest of the film.

The action sequences get a little edit heavy. If you like the way the Borne fight scenes are filmed you will probably enjoy them. I though the action set pieces were very solid, but the quick cuts on the hand to hand stuff got old fast. There is an odd dichotomy at play with these sequences as well. The action appears to be more brutal than any Marvel movie before it, but all those sickening thuds and rag-dolling bodies are just slightly undermined by the fact that the principles never really seem to be seriously hurt or even slowed down by any of the mayhem.

Fans of the comic will guess a great deal of the twists but I'm going to avoid spilling any of them here. Still, I will say that this film probably has a greater effect on the development and direction of the Marvel Cinematic universe than any that proceeded it. I was actually a little surprised at the direction they chose to take at the end of this one.

So, overall B+. And, as always, stay through the credits for the teaser scenes.

Action movies in general these days, IMO, are way over the top. I remember actually getting up and leaving the theater 3/4 of the way through the 2nd Transformers because I was so bored. The action was cool, but they fed it to you almost non-stop and after watching straight action for an hour, you lose the interest in it. The movies are so reliant on CG and special effects it's getting way out of hand.

Comment

The movie looks pretty good, but i'm just not a big fan of Cap. One of the least interesting Marvel characters to me. I'll still see it eventually, just not in theaters.

I'm much more interested in Guardians of the Galaxy, which looks great. And when are they going to finally make the damn Deadpool movie already?

Comment

I've been looking forward to this movie for sometime now. I read a tweet when they first started shooting this movie, saying this was going to be a really big movie in the MCU. Scarlett and Mackie were dubbing it " Avengers 1.5 ". I'm also looking forward to Guardians as well. Marvel seems to be doing everything right. Even Agents Of Shield has taken a turn for the better

Comment

I was VERY disappointed with the first one, but this one actually looks better. I won't pay full price, but I expect that I will see it...

Comment

I saw it last night in IMAX 3D, I thought it was much better than Iron Man3 and The Dark World. I hated Chris Evans supremely for his Johnny Storm performances but he has grown on me and his Cap is right on. Some things to look forward to if you haven't seen it yet:

1. The low angle rear (pun intended) shot of Scarlett's rumpshaka during the opening boat scene (you'll know it when you see it).
            2. Anthony Mackie - big fan of his work - and he gets to do some cool stuff here.
            3. Robert Redford - I gotta say I was never a fan of his when he was young, but I like him now.
            4. An awesome Pulp Fiction reference.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
              Action movies in general these days, IMO, are way over the top. I remember actually getting up and leaving the theater 3/4 of the way through the 2nd Transformers because I was so bored. The action was cool, but they fed it to you almost non-stop and after watching straight action for an hour, you lose the interest in it. The movies are so reliant on CG and special effects it's getting way out of hand.
              Dude, the Transformer movies are not even in the same stratosphere as the Marvel movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                Dude, the Transformer movies are not even in the same stratosphere as the Marvel movies.
                I disagree, but I'm a transformers guy. I can watch giant robots kick each others ass until the cows come home. Had the toys as a kid, loved the old cartoons. Bay gets a lot of criticism for his non stop explosions or bust style of direction, but I like it. Early word is the upcoming transformers film may actually be surprisingly good to a lot of the critics. Guess we'll see. Going to see the new Cap America tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronc0guy View Post
                  I disagree, but I'm a transformers guy. I can watch giant robots kick each others ass until the cows come home. Had the toys as a kid, loved the old cartoons. Bay gets a lot of criticism for his non stop explosions or bust style of direction, but I like it. Early word is the upcoming transformers film may actually be surprisingly good to a lot of the critics. Guess we'll see. Going to see the new Cap America tomorrow night.
                  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by Flacko View Post
                    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles anybody?
                    Yes please.

Comment

I like how the new Bond movies do the action. Especially Skyfall which I felt was exciting without having him surf a tidal wave or some other crazy feat.

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
                        Some mild spoilers. Overall, a decent film. Better than Ironman 3 by a landslide, and probably about as good as Thor: The Dark World.

I like that the film takes its time a little in the first act. You get to see Steve just inhabiting his world a little bit and those parts are really strong. You need these moments because once the action kicks into gear, there is no time to slow down or really catch your breath for the rest of the film.

The action sequences get a little edit heavy. If you like the way the Borne fight scenes are filmed you will probably enjoy them. I though the action set pieces were very solid, but the quick cuts on the hand to hand stuff got old fast. There is an odd dichotomy at play with these sequences as well. The action appears to be more brutal than any Marvel movie before it, but all those sickening thuds and rag-dolling bodies are just slightly undermined by the fact that the principles never really seem to be seriously hurt or even slowed down by any of the mayhem.

Fans of the comic will guess a great deal of the twists but I'm going to avoid spilling any of them here. Still, I will say that this film probably has a greater effect on the development and direction of the Marvel Cinematic universe than any that proceeded it. I was actually a little surprised at the direction they chose to take at the end of this one.

So, overall B+. And, as always, stay through the credits for the teaser scenes.
                        Cap 'Merica was a fantastic movie....and yet again, I failed to stay through the credits for the teaser clip....one of these days I'll remember.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                          I like how the new Bond movies do the action. Especially Skyfall which I felt was exciting without having him surf a tidal wave or some other crazy feat.
                          Funny you should mention Skyfall since Captain America Winter Soldier has more similarities with that than the other recent Marvel movies. Think of it as Bond/Bourne on steroids.

And do not see it in 3D. From what I've been hearing the 3D makes the fighting scene look worse than it actually is. When I saw it in 2D, I thought it has some of the most impressive fight choreography in a superhero movie. Kind of wish that The Dark Knight trilogy was able to get to this level of action.

Comment

This.

Comment

Do you need to see the first one from a couple years ago to see this?

Comment

Working...
                              X