The drinking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
    Why would you taint that with ice cubes? I usually go with the Ardbeg 10 myself but the Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 are great as well.
    depends if you get the cask strenghth 10 year, or the cut 10 year Laphroaig in my opinion. The full cash strength is simple too hot to enjoy the nuance of this heavenly nectar. I I'd use a large 2x2 ice cube, it melt very slowly and really open up that whiskey. If I have regular strentgh, I still add a few drops of water, not sure if that makes a big difference or not, but I do.

That LAST think I would do to that whiskey is fill up a glass with small ice cubes and en up with a diluted, watered down mess.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
      If you're going to mix like that don't waste the money on Crown Royal. Go with a cheaper brand. That's a general rule for many/most mixed drinks. Drink the high end stuff straight, buy a lesser brand if you're going to mix. And by "lesser brand" I'm not saying you have to buy cheap crap. Just not the top end stuff. For example, you don't need Patron to make a good margarita. There are plenty of mid-priced tequilas that will make an excellent drink and save you a lot of money.
      agreed- get Candian Mist if you are going to mix it. I have a friend who always wants to mix my whiskies with coke. no ****ing way. I have a bottle of Jack Daniels and Old Crow that he can ruin.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
        I guess that I never considered Crown Royal to be on the high end...
        Well, no, it's not super high end. But it's good enough quality that you don't pour Dr. Pepper in it. You get more moderately priced stuff if you're going to do that.

Comment

Well, no, it's not super high end. But it's good enough quality that you don't pour Dr. Pepper in it. You get more moderately priced stuff if you're going to do that.
          Yeah but I'm frivolous. Also wipe my ass with 20 dollar bills.

Comment

Sitting on the back of the boat with friends and family, an ice cooler full of Dos Equis Amber beer and a Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Cigar in hand. Throw in the smell of bratwurst cooking on the grill …… it doesn’t get much better than that for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
              Sitting on the back of the boat with friends and family, an ice cooler full of Dos Equis Amber beer and a Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro Cigar in hand. Throw in the smell of bratwurst cooking on the grill …… it doesn’t get much better than that for me.
              Until some asshole in a wakeboard boat rolls in blasting the yodeler theme from the price is right with his kids dancing on the stern.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                Until some a-hole in a wakeboard boat rolls in blasting the yodeler theme from the price is right with his kids dancing on the stern.
                I know the type they drink Pabst Blue Ribbon from a can .......

Comment

Make that a whiskey in there, I'm in.

Comment

I know the type they drink Pabst Blue Ribbon from a can .......
                    That's only in the morning. Because that's breakfast.

Comment

Comment

Comment

If you're going to mix like that don't waste the money on Crown Royal. Go with a cheaper brand. That's a general rule for many/most mixed drinks. Drink the high end stuff straight, buy a lesser brand if you're going to mix. And by "lesser brand" I'm not saying you have to buy cheap crap. Just not the top end stuff. For example, you don't need Patron to make a good margarita. There are plenty of mid-priced tequilas that will make an excellent drink and save you a lot of money.
                          I usually wouldn't mix crown with anything, last night was just a spontaneous cookout and that's what was available. I live about 10 miles from town and didn't feel like making the drive. Wasn't a whiskey on the rocks kinda night.

Comment

Originally posted by oubronco View Post
                            A friend of mine knows a guy in Tennessee, brings the real stuff back home on occasion. Dangerous stuff, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Large View Post
                              agreed- get Candian Mist if you are going to mix it. I have a friend who always wants to mix my whiskies with coke. no ****ing way. I have a bottle of Jack Daniels and Old Crow that he can ruin.
                              Canadian mist or Rich n Rare usually, if I'm mixing

Comment

Crown Royal & Patron are usually perfect for cocktails. If you want top shelf products neat (no ice, no mixers) I'd recommend Don Julio 1942 or Bookers.

Comment

Working...
                                X