Oahu in August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu in August

Looking for some suggestions on places to stay things to do on Oahu in mid August. We are spending 10 days on Kauai before going to Oahu, the main reason to see Pearl Harbor now that the boys are old enough to get something out of it. We ideally would stay away from Waikiki without blowing the budget as we are staying at a fairly pricy condo on Kauai.

Ideally would have a pool/beach for the kids, but open to ideas given where folks from the Mane have stayed. If there are any particular sights hikes, etc. feel free to toss those out as well.

Thanks to those who respond!

Originally posted by ghwk View Post
    Looking for some suggestions on places to stay things to do on Oahu in mid August. We are spending 10 days on Kauai before going to Oahu, the main reason to see Pearl Harbor now that the boys are old enough to get something out of it. We ideally would stay away from Waikiki without blowing the budget as we are staying at a fairly pricy condo on Kauai.

Ideally would have a pool/beach for the kids, but open to ideas given where folks from the Mane have stayed. If there are any particular sights hikes, etc. feel free to toss those out as well.

Thanks to those who respond!
    How old are your kids?

The North Shore is awesome Hale Ewa is a little village right in the middle of all of the North Shore Beaches. Be careful, the waves and current can be dangerous. The Turtle Bay Hilton is in the area as well. I worked in Hawaii for a couple years off and on.
    Last edited by kupesdad; 03-25-2014, 01:31 PM.

Comment

A few things.

1) Learn Japanese before you go. I'm only halfway kidding.

2) Go see Pearl Harbor.

Comment

Originally posted by kupesdad View Post
        How old are your kids?
        By then 15 and 11.

Comment

hawaii in august....I'd probably look for a volcano to jump in and cool off.

Comment

Originally posted by ghwk View Post
            By then 15 and 11.
            There arre cheap hotels a couple of blocks off of the main drag in waikiki. Stay in the cheap hotels and then use the facilities at the beach resorts or do the North Shore thing.. it is beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
              hawaii in august....I'd probably look for a volcano to jump in and cool off.
              Doesn't get over 90.

Just looked it up. The highest recorded temperature on Kauai was 91°F in 1936.

Comment

Thanks Kupes, I've been looking at some of those as well as VRBO but getting out of Waikiki and trying to stay north shore has appeal to get away from the rat race and city noise that is mentioned in most hotel reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                  Doesn't get over 90.

Just looked it up. The highest recorded temperature on Kauai was 91°F in 1936.
                  Yep... tradewinds and evening sprinkles keep it cool... Ive spent a ton of time there and the highest I've seen is 85

Comment

We just went last September - stay on the North Shore unless you just want to visit another big city in the USA.

We stayed in a condo at Turtle Bay resort and spent our time in Haleiwa, Kewela Bay, Waimea Bay, Kuilima Cove, Sunset Beach

Make sure you visit Hanauma Bay, you have to pay to get in there but it's beautiful - decent snorkeling.

Best snorkeling, by far, was Waimea Bay.

To be honest - Pearl Harbor was a waste of my time, it's just a giant money making machine that's overly crowded and wasn't fun at all. Luckily we went there on our way to the airport heading home so it didn't interfere with our vacation. Honalulu and Waikiki are overly crowded big cities with an ocean view - avoid these places at all costs unless you like big crowded cities in which case you should just go to New York and save money.

Sunset at Turtle Bay

Hanauma Bay

Kawela Bay - our favorite spot, we were there every night for the sunsets - completely alone

Lot of Japanese but we never spoke to one. Go to Haleiwa and eat at Haleiwa Joes right next to the harbor, beautiful outdoor seating and arguably the best food i've ever had. Little pricey but once you get there you'll see why.

Comment

VRBO was fantastic - cost us 1100 bux for a week stay at Turtle Bay resort. I have TONS of pics of the North Shore, we also went to Lanikai and kayak'd to the Mok islands, that was rough but well worth it. I still have contacts there so if you need info let me know and I can put you in touch with some folks that we met out there. We planned on going back this year but the kids wanted to go on a big family vacation and couldn't afford Hawai'i so we're heading back to the OBX. O'ahu again next year tho, without a doubt. We spent less than $4k total on that trip and that includes buying all of our snorkeling gear, GoPro, etc....

You MUST go to the Aloha Stadium swap meet, great experience.

As for the heat? With the trade winds we never noticed it. Only time we actually sweat was on the Laie Falls hike - which took 2hrs one way! Take plenty of water as that's a pretty involved hike with the sun beating down on you. Guava tunnels were badass and actually reaching the falls made the hike well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse View Post
                        VRBO was fantastic - cost us 1100 bux for a week stay at Turtle Bay resort. I have TONS of pics of the North Shore, we also went to Lanikai and kayak'd to the Mok islands, that was rough but well worth it. I still have contacts there so if you need info let me know and I can put you in touch with some folks that we met out there. We planned on going back this year but the kids wanted to go on a big family vacation and couldn't afford Hawai'i so we're heading back to the OBX. O'ahu again next year tho, without a doubt. We spent less than $4k total on that trip and that includes buying all of our snorkeling gear, GoPro, etc....

You MUST go to the Aloha Stadium swap meet, great experience.

As for the heat? With the trade winds we never noticed it. Only time we actually sweat was on the Laie Falls hike - which took 2hrs one way! Take plenty of water as that's a pretty involved hike with the sun beating down on you. Guava tunnels were badass and actually reaching the falls made the hike well worth it.
                        Thanks Dark Horse. You mind PM'ing me the VRBO rental you got?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse View Post
                          Hanauma Bay
                          It's funny. You form pictures in your head of people, over the years. That is not what I anticipated you to look like.

Comment

Lol Dom, that's the better half of me....notice she's rocking both the Broncos logos on her feet, gotta represent while on vacay..

Let me dig up the VRBO listing that we used and I'll PM it to you. You'll get a better package deal by contacting Bruce Fisher owner of Hawaii Aloha travel. He got our plane tickets and car rental packaged and we saved quite a bit of money thru him. Package all 3 (plane, car, hotel) and it's an even better deal

Comment

Queen's Bath in Kauai is a must.

Comment

Working...
                              X