Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

300 small Earthquakes in 1 week - Chile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 300 small Earthquakes in 1 week - Chile

    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ex...ne-week-n61531

    Experts analyzing this flood of data are worried the increased seismic activity could be a sign the region is about to experience its first devastating quake in 137 years. The last event, a magnitude-8.5 quake in 1877, killed thousands of people and created a deadly tsunami that reached Hawaii and Japan.

    "We usually get around 10 earthquakes per day in this area [many of them very small], but now we have been getting up to 100 per day," he told NBC News via telephone from the country's capital Tuesday.

    Pardo told NBC News that seismologists are particularly concerned about this cluster of quakes because press reports following the 1877 event said there was a similar "swarm" of tremors beforehand.

    "We have been waiting for a big one in this area for some time - this is a place where we are expecting an earthquake of over 8.5 magnitude," he said.

  • #2
    Originally posted by crush17 View Post
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ex...ne-week-n61531

    Experts analyzing this flood of data are worried the increased seismic activity could be a sign the region is about to experience its first devastating quake in 137 years. The last event, a magnitude-8.5 quake in 1877, killed thousands of people and created a deadly tsunami that reached Hawaii and Japan.

    "We usually get around 10 earthquakes per day in this area [many of them very small], but now we have been getting up to 100 per day," he told NBC News via telephone from the country's capital Tuesday.

    Pardo told NBC News that seismologists are particularly concerned about this cluster of quakes because press reports following the 1877 event said there was a similar "swarm" of tremors beforehand.

    "We have been waiting for a big one in this area for some time - this is a place where we are expecting an earthquake of over 8.5 magnitude," he said.
    What? Didn't Chile just have a massive earthquake in 2010. It was a 8.8. Somebody needs to talk to their editor.
    Last edited by HILife; 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by HILife View Post
      What? Didn't Chile just have a massive earthquake in 2010. It was a 8.8. Somebody needs to talk to their editor.
      You know, I was just thinking that as I started the thread.

      You are correct: 8.8 in 2010 (different area than what is being discussed in the article I believe)


      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Chile_earthquake

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by crush17 View Post
        You know, I was just thinking that as I started the thread.

        You are correct: 8.8 in 2010 (different area than what is being discussed in the article I believe)


        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Chile_earthquake
        It was ranked the six largest earthquake in recorded history. How did they miss that one?

        EDIT: I guess the article is referring to that part of Chile and not the country as a whole. Although, I'm pretty sure that part of Chile felt the 2010 earthquake.
        Last edited by HILife; 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          "I fell into a burning ring of fire..."

          Comment


          • #6
            Bush's fault.

            Comment


            • #7
              Global warming change strikes again.

              Comment


              • #8
                F**K me to tears! I was going to Cancun at the end of the month. I'm canceling the trip for sure now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bap454 View Post
                  **** me to tears! I was going to Cancun at the end of the month. I'm canceling the trip for sure now.
                  why?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just a messing around. Nothing is keeping me from the partae!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Chile will always be at risk for raging quakes. The ring of fire rolls right down their entire coast line.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        it's because the glaciers are melting and there is less weight on them. ****ing global warming.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Everyone in California all worried about global warming and none of them are prepared for what is really going to come. A big earthquake!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                            Everyone in California all worried about global warming and none of them are prepared for what is really going to come. A big earthquake!
                            Well, when we all lose our home roof, we will need the temps to be higher to keep warm. Thank you Global warming.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
                              Well, when we all lose our home roof, we will need the temps to be higher to keep warm. Thank you Global warming.
                              We got screwed this year. Global warming models say Calif should be hit by rain not drought.

                              Geeze i hope it's not drought it will screw up the fishing in the High Sierras.

                              America will sit around worrying about global warming but it will still be Earthquakes, fire, volcanoes that scare the **** out of me.

                              What if Yellowstone blows up? !

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X