Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divergent: So, this is what passes for YA fiction these days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divergent: So, this is what passes for YA fiction these days.

So, having taken Vampires as a property and left them a cratering vortex of suckage, Hollywood and YA fiction has turned their sights to the sci-fi dystoptian future setting relying on the classic adolescence logic "if its terrible, its probably a lot like high school"

So, now we get future societies that are paper thin metaphors for highschool in which the characters must choose if they are going to be a member of the Jocks, the Nerds, the Goths, the Stoners, or the Hicks (I know the book has some ridiculously contrived names for these clicks but I refuse to dignify them here) Exept, our plucky female protagonist realizes that she doesn't fit cleanly into any one of these groups *gasp* and must hide her true nature to avoid....... Jesus Christ, when did that little whiny weird kid that spent all of her time writing bad poetry and cutting on herself become the voice of a ****ing generation.

It was bad enough when the completely screwed up Vampires and Werewolves. But with the success of the Hunger Games and Divergent, looks like they want to emo up sci-fi dystopia as well. Anyone wanting to stay ahead of the curve should start crapping out some High Fantasy novels were Elves are Glee club members and Dragons are the football team.
    Last edited by v2micca; 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM.

It looks like someone was forced to go the movie...

My wife went with a friend, and she liked it. I TRIED to read the book, but I could barely get through the first chapter without feeling sick. It's too cheesy, for my taste...

Comment

Took the kids Friday, it wasn't "bad" but it really wasn't that great either and I haven't read the books. I do know, all 3 of my girls that went had read all 3 books and were all somewhat let down.

Comment

I thought Harry Potter was the pioneer in this field

Comment

Originally posted by LRtagger View Post
          I thought Harry Potter was the pioneer in this field
          The more I see from YA fiction these days, the more I become convinced that Harry Potter proves that if you start by ripping off Neil Gaiman, it gives you the best chance of actually producing a decent product.

Comment

I just rent movies now...less butt hurt.

Comment

They are making The Giver into a heart throb YA movie I've seen. And they took what was a somewhat original premise series with The Mazerunner and are aging all the characters for romance. Freakin Twilight.

Comment

Originally posted by v2micca View Post
                The more I see from YA fiction these days, the more I become convinced that Harry Potter proves that if you start by ripping off Neil Gaiman, it gives you the best chance of actually producing a decent product.
                from wikipedia:

The similarity was noted by a journalist from The Scotsman newspaper, who asked Gaiman if he thought Rowling was aware of his 1990 comic, to which Gaiman replied that he "wasn't the first writer to create a young magician with potential, nor was Rowling the first to send one to school".

The story eventually moved south of the border, with a story in the Daily Mirror reporting that Gaiman had accused Rowling of plagiarism being repeated in the Daily Mail. Gaiman has stressed "This is not true, I never said this", and when asked, repeats his belief that Rowling had not read The Books of Magic and that the similarities most likely result from both being inspired by similar works, in particular those of T. H. White.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
                  They are making The Giver into a heart throb YA movie I've seen. And they took what was a somewhat original premise series with The Mazerunner and are aging all the characters for romance. Freakin Twilight.
                  I thoroughly enjoyed the Mazerunner, though its not the best work of literature. Pisses me off that they're aging the characters for the movie.

Comment

Soooooooo, (enter shameless self-promotion) I actually wrote a YA novel a few years back. I'm not sure any actual young adults have read it, but, hell, one more thing off the bucket list.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Legen...merican+legend

Comment

Gattaca, Event Horizon, Dark City, Blade Runner, and In Time are more my style of scifi.

Comment

We need Ray Bradbury's firemen to come in and remove all the YA fiction books.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnykbr View Post
                          I hate that changing of the characters age crap. The Giver is already all kinds of ****ed up just by casting. Jonah in the book is like 11 years old and the guy playing him is in his late 20's.

Comment

Glad to see the whole vampire thing is finally dead. Or undead, as the case may be.

As far as high school zombies go, I kind of liked Warm Bodies.
                            Last edited by Rohirrim; 03-24-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
                              We need Ray Bradbury's firemen to come in and remove all the YA fiction books.
                              I was going to rep you until I realized that this would totally go against what Bradbury intended. He was for all lit, good and bad, harmful or helpful. Freedom of speech.

If someone wants to read crappy books then good for them.

I just watched Enders Game with my daughter, I thought it was kind of like what this sounds like in a way. I didn't like it, she wasn't impressed either but it in the end it was just a distraction because it is too cold to go outside and play.

Comment

Working...
                              X