Ben Hamilton vs. Chris Kuper -- Guard Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Hamilton vs. Chris Kuper -- Guard Talk

These guys were fourth round picks, maybe Kuper a fifth but didn't Hamilton's career end early cause of injuries?

I always thought Greg Eslinger was gonna be good.

What's your point?

Comment

Curse of the midround interior linemans conspearacie theroy.

Comment

Curse? Hamilton was pretty decent in the Shanasystem but just wasn't big enough. And Kuper's career was ruined by injuries and infection. They both started for several years, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
          Curse of the midround interior linemans conspearacie theroy.
          !

Comment

Being drafted to play guard for the Broncos is like wearing the wrong colored shirt on Star Trek.

When they make the team they get a locker over by the cheerleaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
              Curse? Hamilton was pretty decent in the Shanasystem but just wasn't big enough. And Kuper's career was ruined by injuries and infection. They both started for several years, though.
              He got infected by a big money contract and a new wife. After that it went downhill.

I JEST I JEST I know he was a hard working player. Just saying.

Comment

Hamilton was good in our zone scheme, but a bit undersized for anything else

Kuper was great until his ankle broke in half

Comment

Meyers started with us and went on to be a good center for the Texans. Is he still playing?

Comment

So would Kory Lichtensteiger help us?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he cut under the McNumbnuts regime which couldn't evaluate talent if it effed them in the ay?

Comment

Neither were fat to fold Foneco's jackstrip.

Comment

These guys were fourth round picks, maybe Kuper a fifth but didn't Hamilton's career end early cause of injuries?

Ham and Kupes were different kind of Players.

Hamilton was quicker,faster and had enough strength to handle the opponents. He pulled ,screened he could do everything till he got old.

Kuper was heavier, had more natural strength and was quick and fast enough to pull and do the Zoneblocking schemes. And he was a Monster as a passblocker, for me he really helped Wiegman to get his pro bowl few years ago.

Eslinger was the same kind of Player like Hamilton, he was his successor at Minnesota. But he never developed enough strength to survive in the nfl.
                        Shanny canned him and Kubiak in Houston canned him too.

Comment

Hamilton was never great, he was okay. he did not have a lot of strength and it showed at times. Pulling and zone block cutting? He was great.

Comment

You had good reason to think that ... I've posted this observation of mine before, but I like it so here goes again: I think Greg Eslinger is the best example of the gap between college football and the NFL, as such:

Eslinger and Nick Mangold are the same age, Eslinger came from North Dakota and played at Big 10 afterthought Minnesota, while Mangold is from Dayton and played at The vaunted Ohio State. Both started at center all 4 years, and yet:
                            • Eslinger beat out Mangold for 1st-team All-Big 10 Jr and Sr years
                            • Eslinger beat out Mangold for All-America Jr (Mangold not named) and Sr years (Mangold 2nd str)
                            • Eslinger beat out Mangold as a Rimington finalist Jr year (Mangold not)
                            • Eslinger won Rimington Senior yr.
                            • Eslinger actually won THE OUTLAND freaking Trophy Sr. year (Mangold not on watch list)

Couple months after the Outland ceremony though, things started to change ....
                            • Mangold rated #1 center in draft, Eslinger #2 or 3
                            • Mangold chosen in 1st round, Eslinger not til the 6th
                            • Mangold started all 16 games as a rookie
                            • Mangold has made 4 Pro Bowls in 7 years
                            • Eslinger never played one down in the NFL

Seems to me Eslinger was the better college player - any and every indication proves that. Besides, Big 10 and national media types would never hype a Gopher over a Buckeye like that, it's just not done.

I love this comparison - two guys at the same position, same age, same conference, but the differences are stark to say the least. It's gotta be more than just a size issue ... Eslinger was 291 at the combine ... ??

Comment

I don't think Eslinger's heart was ever in the game. Perfect fit for the ZBS, was done at Minnesota while hew as there -- I think he became a doctor or when to professional school instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X