Little Tidbits of advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Tidbits of advice

With the "what's on your mind?" and the "Tell us about your career" threads being pretty entertaining - combined with the lull before the draft that is for sure going to happen, and also throw in my ever increasing boring internet time at work, I'd like to give this thread a shot.

What are some little pieces of advice you have... this can be anything in life from career to finance to being healthy etc. Things you wish you knew when you were 18. Things about not pissing your wife off? Here's what I have off the top of my head.

Read self-improvement books. From finances to personal well being... don't think of it as self-help, but self-improvement.

Learn everything you can about the stock market, and never sit on too much money unless you're content that it's enough. Invest, invest, invest. Business, property, stocks, whatever. Nobody ever got rich by starting a savings account.

Never do your resume on your own. You can fill in the details but always have several people look it over, edit it, or offer suggestions. In today's world resumes need to be perfect to get a job that is worth having.

Smartest thing I have done in my life is go to North Dakota, work the oil field and make $100,000+ immediately after graduating college. The second smartest thing I ever did was get out of the business once that year was up. Use it to set up your life, not to create a life around it. Anybody can go over there and get a 6 income job regardless of education if you are willing to work.

If you have never tried a Microbrew, you are missing out.

With a little bit of education, you can stay/become very fit in no more than a half hour a day.

Take some time to find music that brings you up, not down, and blast that **** every once in awhile. Crank it when you take your morning shower, your whole day will go better.

One of my biggest pet peeves with humans, including myself, is that they think people intentionally did something to piss them off or hurt them in some way. Going through life thinking "every single person on earth just wants to be happy" will help you see things through other peoples eyes. So many times a misunderstanding can turn into a pissing contest and it doesn't help anybody.

Nobody has ever regretted working hard for something.

mint.com, seriously.

Speaking of mint.com... just get a smartphone in general, 90% of people on here probably have one, and the other 10% "don't get it" and trust me... you don't get it. Use it to simplify your life not make it more complex.

If it takes less than 5 minutes to get it done. Do it immediately.

If something sucks in life, just Google how to make it not suck. Like cleaning a microwave... trust me on that one.

That's pretty much what I have off the top of my head.... anybody else?

Awesome thread I will post later!

Comment

Dude why should we listen to you? You cannot even remember your password!

Comment

Do not chew the non-popped kernels in popcorn. To see why just Google chipped or broken crown tooth and you will see what most people do to cause it. Happened to me, it can be a big problem if it happens so just don't chew kernels (I wouldn't chew ice either just to be safe)

Comment

Originally posted by Guess Who View Post
          Dude why should we listen to you? You cannot even remember your password!
          One more thing, always write down your passwords.

Comment

1. Call your parents/siblings every now and then, call at least one of them every week. When you don't have anything left they are the ****ers who will come through for your ass.

2. Write real christmas cards and post cards. They don't have to say more than things are good and one personal line for each person you write, everybody loves a handwritten greeting.

3. Buy good shoes, underwear and a good bed. You will spend 80% of your life in at least on of those 3.

4. Bake a cake or bread at least every 2 weeks.

5. Eat something you have caught, shot or grown yourself cooked over a fire at least once in your life.

6. If you spend more than 1 hour a day total on texting and social media not related to your job, you should talk to some people instead.

7. If you are unsure about buying something, don't. If you are unsure about trying something, do.

Comment

All guns are loaded
              All snakes are poisonous
              Your anus is an exit not an entrance

Comment

A person might look at a bird on a small, teetering branch and think why doesn't that bird land on a more sturdy branch... what he doesn't realize is that the bird doesn't rely on the branch, he trusts in his own wings

The point? Don't be afraid to go out on a limb and take a chance- rely on yourself, your abilities, your self confidence and realize we place our own obstacles in front of us- remove obstacles, take a chance, your wings will take you where you need to go.

Unless your going to a top University, don't take out a ton of student loans or any if possible for education. IMHO, you are buying the alumnai at a school, not the education itself. Get an inexpensive degree you can pay for in cash, and begin to professionally network post grad- don't get into debt for school, you'll never want to pay it back and it steals from your future.

All credit outwide of your home, avoid it. Even with your home, try to put as much down as possible. Buy shtuff in cash, if you can't buy it in cash, you don't need it that bad.

If you're unhappy, make a change. Like in the movie Waiting, create your penis showing game and get on with life. You will be in the ground soon, stressed, miserable, anxious... is it worth it?

Comment

Never use "harder" as your safe word.

Comment

Only trust people who like big butts...

They cannot lie.

Comment

Originally posted by gyldenlove View Post
                      1. Call your parents/siblings every now and then, call at least one of them every week. When you don't have anything left they are the ****ers who will come through for your ass.

2. Write real christmas cards and post cards. They don't have to say more than things are good and one personal line for each person you write, everybody loves a handwritten greeting.

3. Buy good shoes, underwear and a good bed. You will spend 80% of your life in at least on of those 3.

4. Bake a cake or bread at least every 2 weeks.

5. Eat something you have caught, shot or grown yourself cooked over a fire at least once in your life.

6. If you spend more than 1 hour a day total on texting and social media not related to your job, you should talk to some people instead.

7. If you are unsure about buying something, don't. If you are unsure about trying something, do.
                      God these are good.

#2- I laugh when I get those pre-printed Xmas cards people send of themselves to me over the holidays- so, you emptied your contacts into a mail merge, put a printed label on an evelope, and sent me pictures of you? Oh, how blessed I am! Buy some cards, write a message that is thoughtful, and include come pictures of the kids if you want...but damit, don't make it feel like you just checked the holiday card cheer box.

Comment

Only give advice if the person asks for it.

Comment

No means yes, yes means harder.
                          They're all asking for it

Comment

Form a band, don't get married, screw women younger then you forever, don't do hard drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
                              Only trust people who like big butts...

They cannot lie.
                              solid. very solid.

Comment

Working...
                              X