The Broncos defensive makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Broncos defensive makeover

In an effort to see how defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio might utilize both players, I pored over the All-22 Coaches Film. I believe Del Rio will continue to use Miller as his Sam (strong) linebacker in base sets, with Ware aligning at right defensive end. This will allow Del Rio to use an "under" front, creating a five-man line to effectively combat running games while also providing tremendous flexibility to incorporate five-man zone dogs and blitzes.

As much as I love the idea of attacking the offense with Ware and Miller out of base personnel, I believe the prospect of using the tandem in a variety of sub-packages makes the Broncos' defense downright scary. Each guy is adept at lining up with his hand in the ground or from an upright position, allowing the Broncos to present the offense with a variety of looks at the line of scrimmage. This not only creates pass-protection problems for the offensive line, it also makes it tough for the quarterback, running backs and pass catchers to identify which defenders are rushing on potential blitzes. As miscommunication routinely results in miscues and turnovers, the inability to gauge the Broncos' intentions could be problematic for opponents.
    With a pair of dominant pass rushers on the edge capable of wreaking havoc, Del Rio and Fox can empty the playbook to create splash-play opportunities for the defense. That's a significant advantage for a team that already produces fireworks on the offensive side of the ball.

Watching Talib thrive as the Patriots' top corner last season, I was impressed with his ball skills, instincts and toughness. He challenges receivers at the line with a sticky bump-and-run technique, yet also displays the athleticism and awareness to play in space with vision on the quarterback. Therefore, Talib can play any cornerback position in a multidimensional scheme that features man and zone concepts. Given Talib's versatility and skill level, Del Rio and Fox could stick him on the opponent's No. 1 receiver or position him at either corner, based on offensive tendencies.

Ward is a headhunter with a knack for doling out punishment to receivers who venture between the hashes. He delivers the kinds of teeth-rattling shots that make opponents think twice about going after balls thrown down the middle. Although league rules restricting physical contact on defenseless receivers have drastically reduced the big shots from safeties, the art of intimidation still works in today's NFL -- which is why Ward was such a coveted commodity on the open market.

Of course, heavy hitters also must exhibit enough athleticism to cover tight ends in space. Ward boasts better-than-average coverage skills while also flashing ball awareness and instincts as a center fielder. With just five interceptions in four seasons, he's certainly not a "ball hawk," but he can hold his own in the middle.
    Read the whole article here:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...in-free-agency

Somebody make Bmore Manning re-read the section on the Broncos DL until his eyes bleed. Then translate it into Braille, if he still doesn't get it.

Comment

My only desires when it comes to Von is I want him back to his lighter weight. Big Von was sluggish and not his elite self and I don't want him dropping back into coverage. He was drafted to wreak havoc behind the LOS. He is at his best when he can attack the ball carrier and go for the QB. Granted his position is technically an OLB, but he really isn't a LB in his style of play. I don't recall Derrick Thomas dropping into coverage when he played. Use the guy how he is meant to be used. Dropping him in coverage basically takes the best playmaker on the defense out of the play.

Comment

I expect the broncos to have a very good defense this coming season. Our Run defense is already one of the best in the league. Our pass D should be good again now that we have elite pass rushers in von and ware and also a shut down corner paired with a good safety.

Comment

I still don't get the cornerback depth. Broke knee Harris, Webster and Carter? Yuck. First round corners are so hit or miss their early years.

Comment

The big deal is Von Miller. He was fat and out of shape when he came back from suspension last year. Then he tore an ACL. Seems like Von should be counted out for the 2014 season . . . . . . I can't see any impact at all this season.

Comment

Originally posted by yerner View Post
              I still don't get the cornerback depth. Broke knee Harris, Webster and Carter? Yuck. First round corners are so hit or miss their early years.
              It was a minor knee injury!

Comment

Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                Somebody make Bmore Manning re-read the section on the Broncos DL until his eyes bleed. Then translate it into Braille, if he still doesn't get it.
                And what part don't I get momo?

Comment

Broke knee Harris
                  ?
                  Expectations are he'll be fine for camp.

Comment

Bmore & price just need to **** and get it over with.

Comment

Clever...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cito Pelon View Post
                        The big deal is Von Miller. He was fat and out of shape when he came back from suspension last year. Then he tore an ACL. Seems like Von should be counted out for the 2014 season . . . . . . I can't see any impact at all this season.
                        Really? No impact at all? Come on man, your better than that. Agreed he needs to drop some pounds but if he's healthy he'll return to form.

Comment

Harris will be fine, but your right. The depth isint there. Need one more cheap signing or draft pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronc0guy View Post
                            Harris will be fine, but your right. The depth isint there. Need one more cheap signing or draft pick.
                            The same thing could have been said when Harris was a rookie. I think Webster has some game in him and I think he'll become a solid CB. I agree though, we need to draft another and I'm sure we'll keep Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                              The same thing could have been said when Harris was a rookie. I think Webster has some game in him and I think he'll become a solid CB. I agree though, we need to draft another and I'm sure we'll keep Carter.
                              True. I think Webster could be a good player for us for years to come, and I'm not as anti-TC as many on here are. Just seems like we could be an injury away from disaster at the position. I'm not worried, depth will be addressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X