Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Denver did what it did: Myth Busters

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...-what-they-did

Consider this a sort of football version of myth busters. But as the Denver Broncos were busy making it rain in the opening days of free agency with five signings, four of those of the high-profile, get-some-headlines variety, much of the national conversation was about how the team pulled it off.

And there is no real mystery. The two biggest reasons the Broncos were able to do what they did:
    They planned for it. Their salary cap situation was, and still is, better than most thought.
    Winning is a powerful lure. Players are willing to structure deals that will pay them if they succeed, but also fit into the Broncos’ big picture so the team avoids the one-shot, mammoth signing bonus that eats the future cap room if things don't work out.
    Read the rest in the link. Good Stuff.

Comment

That really is a great read. We'll probably be amazing again, hit on some more rookies and/or players we developed here and Elway will once again lose out on GM of the year to somewhere like the Lions.

Comment

If he makes those top 2-3 picks count...he'll be right up there in the conversation again. Drafting at the end of the round is in our favor. Wait for someone to fall or trade back. Personally, I'd like to see us trade back. I don't know that anyone too sexy we'll fall to us. Maybe Lee? I can't see Pryor or Mosely falling to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamrob View Post
          If he makes those top 2-3 picks count...he'll be right up there in the conversation again. Drafting at the end of the round is in our favor. Wait for someone to fall or trade back. Personally, I'd like to see us trade back. I don't know that anyone too sexy we'll fall to us. Maybe Lee? I can't see Pryor or Mosely falling to us.
          Trade back and you lose the 5 th year on the rookie deals. We are in a perfect spot.

Comment

John Elway the car salesman, "we have a payment plan to make it happen today" .............. Not too Shabby".

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
              John Elway the car salesman, "we have a payment plan to make it happen today" .............. Not too Shabby".

Comment

This has become a popular trope on Chiefs Planet; Calling John Elway a sleazy used car salesman. I guess it's to make the signing of players seem underhanded in some way and also make him look like he doesn't know what he's doing - all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbythug View Post
                  Trade back and you lose the 5 th year on the rookie deals. We are in a perfect spot.
                  Yep then you don't have all your rookies from a class coming free the same yr. High picks get what 4 yr deals, some other rookie get 3? Or is it 5 yr deals for first rounders?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                    This has become a popular trope on Chiefs Planet; Calling John Elway a sleazy used car salesman. I guess it's to make the signing of players seem underhanded in some way and also make him look like he doesn't know what he's doing - all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.
                    Yep the Chiefs fans swear Elway took the keys to Emmaneual Sanders vehicle and threw them on the roof ........

Comment

In the car game the money is made in the finance department.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderH8r View Post
                        In the car game the money is made in the finance department.
                        Yep, the best negotiation tool is walking in with a pre-financed deal. I have gotten a TON of deals simply by having that when I walked in the door...They basically do NOT want you to finance elsewhere and I got several deals I never thought possible by bringing my own paper in with me....

Comment

The thing I like about this article, is the trend of getting paid what your worth. I have absolutely hated the up front big signing bonus most players had the last 10 years that left dead money on the table and paid players for previous performance not current performance. That is that big contract mentality that some FA's have no handled very well.

Now, the agents and smart teams are structuring these second contracts to be player AND team friendly so that if a team has to release a player, he is younger and more marketable for his third deal if necessary. Teams, players, and agents are finally getting it right and not paying for past performance.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hamrob View Post
                            I disagree. I look at the end of the 1st as a wasteland of picks. All the players who had legit first round grades have been taken so we are left picking out of what is still there and wind up reaching on guys who have 2nd round grades.

Now if the team were rebuilding or had a lot of holes to fill I am all in favor of trading back, but this team right now after free agency and returning players from last season are accounted for has openings for only a few starting positions. With that in mind we need guys who can contribute now as we are drafting mainly depth and filling the glaring holes like OG and MLB. Because we have so few holes, I am in favor of Elway making a splash in the draft and trading up big time to land the best prospects at the positions we need to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
                              I like to think of Elway more like a drug dealer. And for Elway, his sales pitch for his drug is Winning With Peyton. Drugs sell themselves, all Elway is doing is making the connection with the player he has his sights set on. Then he swoops in and makes the deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X