Mincey says Broncos were “lackadaisical” in Super Bowl XLVIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincey says Broncos were “lackadaisical” in Super Bowl XLVIII

The Seahawks blew out the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII for a variety of reasons. Former Broncos defensive lineman Jeremy Mincey identified one possibly reason during a Saturday appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio with Alex Marvez and Zig Fracassi.

“Sometimes the better team don’t always win,” Mincey said. “The Seattle Seahawks came out there fired up and they wanted it more than we did. I think we were a little bit lackadaisical in the locker room before the game. See, that’s the thing about having, like, older guys. And Denver was full of older guys. Older guys take stuff a little lighter than younger guys. . . . We were more laid back and lackadaisical and I think that kind of cost us in a sense.”

Asked whether he thinks the team’s attitude should have been a little more “rah-rah, fired up,” Mincey didn’t mince (yep, I went there) words.

“Yeah, it should have been,” Mincey said. “I really think it should have been. All of us could have played a lot better.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-bowl-xlviii/

It sure looked that way on the field. It was a little surprising at the beginning, but sometimes its a guessing game on whether to avoid getting too wound up or staying too relaxed. What was most disappointing is that, after they got punched in the mouth, they didn't stiffen up and start hitting back. They got kicked around all game long.

Comment

Well tell us something we already didn't know.

Comment

Lackadaisical indeed.

Comment

You say Lackadaisical I say Submissive

Comment

Thanks, Fox.
            Last edited by SoCalBronco; 03-15-2014, 04:02 PM.

Comment

you would think the mental state of the "team" is the coach's responsibility. too fired up or not fired up enough, either way.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCBladerunner View Post
                It sure looked that way on the field. It was a little surprising at the beginning, but sometimes its a guessing game on whether to avoid getting too wound up or staying too relaxed. What was most disappointing is that, after they got punched in the mouth, they didn't stiffen up and start hitting back. They got kicked around all game long.
                Yup.

Comment

NEWS FLASH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                    NEWS FLASH!!!
                    Actually Roh...it is a bit of a newsflash in a way. I don't think it was a shock that Fox would get outcoached in a big game against a good coach.....but he IS supposed to be a decent motivator of men at least.

Guess not.

Comment

Fox always talks about not getting to high or too low...and staying focused. You see it week in and week out.

I think it works during regular seasons and most cases, but this time, Seattle just got off to such a hot start and they maintained their level of intensity and energy throughout the game. We never made them step back and refocus.

With that being said, Pete Carroll isn't a Hoorah coach like Rex Ryan, as he always just preaches to be yourself...I think it has a lot to do with personnel.

People want to blame Fox for this, but let's not forget Bill Belichick is the EXACT same way when it comes to this...Patriots are all about being cool and collected.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                        Thanks, Fox.
                        Maybe The Duke isn't finished? I'm not saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                          Maybe The Duke isn't finished? I'm not saying...
                          I hope you're right.

Let's get the old band back together.

Comment

Fox effect.

Contract extension yet? Nope.

But the players shouldn't have to have a rah rah to get pumped up. That game was on everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBronco View Post
                              I hope you're right.

Let's get the old band back together.
                              No thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X